windows frozen shut - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > windows frozen shut

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 01-17-2006, 12:35 PM   #16
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyV8YJ
does anyone else have a problem with their windows freezing shut?

rig is an 04 WJ.

Even after a 30 minute ride with the cabin warm they would not open.

check the rubber liner whrere the window meets the door, on both the inside and outside. When my 01 WJ was new, I had to have the inner one replaced. in warranty it took 10 minutes and the dealer did it in the enterance to the service dept. You likely have water running down and building up ice on the window track.

Wait, did I just say something nice about a $tealer? No, it wasn't me, someone hijacked my user name and posted this. (And with some of these moderators, that's believable.)

3 Previous Jeeps - 01 WJ Ltd, QD & UC - 01 WJ Ltd, QT II - 98 XJ Ltd
Airborne Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #17
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

Ran into a worse situation: cold rain turns into ice as it hits.
results in the doors being frozen shut with solid ice between the door and door seal and even solid across to the body. the handle button has 1/4 inch of ice over it.

is there anything to put on the door seal to keep it from getting ruined / if still stuck when door opens door will pull a rip in it.
Unread 02-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
mtsgsd
1995 ZJ 

We went from 64 degrees Wed. to sub-freezing Thur. Oh did I mention it was raining all Wed and into the night? All doors, locks and door handles were frozen shut, and I had even "winterized" everything. LOL Sometimes, it's just going to win, and it's time to get out the heatgun.
mtsgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

power out too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsgsd View Post
We went from 64 degrees Wed. to sub-freezing Thur. Oh did I mention it was raining all Wed and into the night? All doors, locks and door handles were frozen shut, and I had even "winterized" everything. LOL Sometimes, it's just going to win, and it's time to get out the heatgun.
right on the heat gun, but my power was out too.
better that I didnt attempt to go anywhere, it is a 400 foot 40% drop from the house to the road, gravel -- but it was like little rocks inside ice-cubes.

still it got me to wondering what I could do for the door molding that would protect it and also keep ice from attaching to it...

even if garage kept there would be an issue when go and park / then try to get in to go back home...

I do try to just stay home and drink hot coffee ..
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #20
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

Wurth Rubber Gel Stick conditions and preserves rubber seals and weather stripping by coating them in a hydrating gel. This gel is easy to apply with the sponge tipped applicator bottle. Simply press against the door seal and apply a thin even coat. Wurth Rubber Gel stick not only helps prevent rubber from drying out, it prevents the door seals from freezing in the winter, trapping you out in the cold. Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick is silicone-free, bio-degradable, and water repellant.

found a few others, weatherstrip lube (expensive) , Optimum Protectant Plus , 1Z Einszett

the Wurth stick seems to be designed for this winter problem, for $8 I will give it a try.
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #21
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDifferent View Post
Wurth Rubber Gel Stick conditions and preserves rubber seals and weather stripping by coating them in a hydrating gel. This gel is easy to apply with the sponge tipped applicator bottle. Simply press against the door seal and apply a thin even coat. Wurth Rubber Gel stick not only helps prevent rubber from drying out, it prevents the door seals from freezing in the winter, trapping you out in the cold. Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick is silicone-free, bio-degradable, and water repellant.

found a few others, weatherstrip lube (expensive) , Optimum Protectant Plus , 1Z Einszett

the Wurth stick seems to be designed for this winter problem, for $8 I will give it a try.
Sounds good. Where do you get this stuff? AutoZone and OReilly's don't seem to carry it. I did find a couple of places online, but I need this stuff yesterday.
zarnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #22
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarnold View Post
Sounds good. Where do you get this stuff? AutoZone and OReilly's don't seem to carry it. I did find a couple of places online, but I need this stuff yesterday.
been searching myself, seems on line is the only place, they say silly-cone is bad for rubber - dries it out, going to stop at the wallymart this afternoon, just in curiosity = doubt they have anything for it..

only other thing for a temporary fix is waxpaper
put a length of wax paper along front top and down of door as shut it, tape a piece over the door handle as well,

or as I have done WHEN I REMEMBER to; pull a tarp - 6x8 across windshield and doors / bungy to jeep...
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #23
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDifferent View Post
been searching myself, seems on line is the only place, they say silly-cone is bad for rubber - dries it out, ...
Depends on what type of silicone lubricant you use as to whether or not it will cause ruber seals to deteriorate. Some of the so called silicone lubricants on the market are very similar to products like WD-40, which is bad for rubber.

One I've found that is safe is Mac's Silicone Lube (sold at NAPA stores). An easy test you can do to see if a spray is harmful to rubber is to spray some in a styrofoam cup. If the cup starts to disintegrate then that product will also damage rubber. If the cup stays in one piece the product won't damage the rubber.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.