Window Won't Work, Not Regulator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Window Won't Work, Not Regulator

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #1
Briandl

Window Won't Work, Not Regulator

So the other day my wife rolled the back passenger side window down, she reported that the window wouldn't go down from the drivers side controls so she put it down at the door.

No pops, the window didn't fall or anything like that, it just went down and wouldn't come up again.

So I took the window off the regulator, used some zip ties to hold it up, took out the regulator and put 12V to it, it works fine, and the common failure is not present, the plastic piece that holds the cable in place is intact.

I put a multimeter on the connector for the motor and I can see it switch polarity but it doesn't get 12V.

The lock works, the speaker works, and the switch light turns off and on when the window lock out is turned on.

I guess I can work my way back and see if I can find out why I don't have any power back there, but any ideas would be appreciated.

All of the other three power windows/door work fine.

TIA

Unread 11-09-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
SurpriseWJ
2000 WJ 

check the switch just because the light comes on doesn't mean its bad.
4" IRO Long Arms and Adjustable short arms in the rear, A-arm spacer, JKS discos and Bar Pin Eliminators, Dual Steering Stabilizer, 265/75R16 Pro Comp Extreme MT's, CV front Driveshaft, D-35 Rear Aussie Locker, Painted cladding (Working on building sliders)[/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
SurpriseWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
Briandl

I got a multimeter so no problem, but it won't work from the drivers side or the door, and when using the drivers side I can see the polarity change as I go from up to down.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Unread 11-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

If you are getting voltage from the driver's switch, and the door's switch, it must be a bad motor on the regulator.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 11:29 PM   #5
Briandl

I was wrong, the motor was getting power, I should have known it's like everything else, it gets power all the time and ground completes the circuit.
Anyhow, it's working now, the only thing I can say I did was move the regulator all the way up using 12V directly from the battery, after that it started working again.
If I had to guess I'd say there was a problem with the motor, it's on it's way out or some problem with the brushes in the motor.
I guess it could be a short somewhere, or the switch could be going out, but switches usually just go out, they don't go out slowely.
Unread 11-09-2007, 11:31 PM   #6
superarmen
1999 WJ 

i have had that happen to me before...luckily it was just a fuze...that is probably the first thing you should check and is also the easiest to fix....

94 YJ in BLACK
superarmen is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.