window question for a 96 laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > window question for a 96 laredo

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFREE Shipping Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
MostWanted88
1996 ZJ 

window question for a 96 laredo

So I pulled my passenger side door panel off to figure out why the window regulator goes down without the window today and come to find out, the little clips are off the window. I'm not 100% sure it's supposed to be glued as I found no residue on the glass. Not sure if clamping the metal tighter would be the correct fix either. If you have had this happen what did you do to reattach the clips to the glass?

MostWanted88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2015, 02:31 AM   #2
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I don't believe the glass is glued into the channel. What caused the window to stay up in place to begin with and was it frozen? They don't show any clips on the 94-96 parts list but they have 4 "Nuts, Glass, 6502 691" listed. Perhaps those just need tightened down once the glass is back in place in the regulator channel?

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
MostWanted88
1996 ZJ 

The window moves freely in the tracks. The regulator has a cross bar that goes across the entire glass with 1 hole at each end. When you install the window there are two clips that should be attached to the glass and are then bolted to the cross bar. It's all operating perfectly, except the clips will not remain on the window when lowered unless I push it down with the regulator. It's hard to find a picture that shows the clips on the glass itself. I bought the jeep with his issue so after inspecting it, it is obvious that the clips need to be reattached to the glass.
Unread 02-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I understand what your saying and hard to find anything about those clips in a search. Even the 94-96 parts list doesn't show them but believe the below diagram in the 96 FSM does. Or maybe this is just showing the clips attaching the bottom channel to the regulator? This is section 23-27 on replacing the front door window glass. Can't you loosen the clips, slide the window back down in the channel/clips then re-tighten them? Or maybe you're missing parts of the clips or nuts? I'd make sure your glass isn't real cold when tightening the clips down.

Here's the diagram.
zj-front-door-window-track-2-glass-clips-96-fsm-23-27-650x373.jpg

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-98-Grand-...529b43&vxp=mtr

These are the brackets correct? They make a special adhesive for them but many on here have just used JB weld and such to reattach the glass to the bracket. The brackets MUST be put back in the same spot they came from. Give a glass company a call if you want the other adhesive. If the window is staying up on its own you must have a good glass channel run because most usually just fall down. Like Uni said I would investigate why the window is staying up or sticking before reattaching the brackets or you may pull them loose again.
Unread 02-21-2015, 12:18 AM   #6
MostWanted88
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
I understand what your saying and hard to find anything about those clips in a search. Even the 94-96 parts list doesn't show them but believe the below diagram in the 96 FSM does. Or maybe this is just showing the clips attaching the bottom channel to the regulator? This is section 23-27 on replacing the front door window glass. Can't you loosen the clips, slide the window back down in the channel/clips then re-tighten them? Or maybe you're missing parts of the clips or nuts? I'd make sure your glass isn't real cold when tightening the clips down.

Here's the diagram.
Something could be missing I'll have to dig deeper and maybe compare it to the drivers side. The studs that hold the clips don't seem to put any tension on the window when tightened but, I may be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-98-Grand-...529b43&vxp=mtr

These are the brackets correct? They make a special adhesive for them but many on here have just used JB weld and such to reattach the glass to the bracket. The brackets MUST be put back in the same spot they came from. Give a glass company a call if you want the other adhesive. If the window is staying up on its own you must have a good glass channel run because most usually just fall down. Like Uni said I would investigate why the window is staying up or sticking before reattaching the brackets or you may pull them loose again.
Yes those are the brackets. The window moves freely in the channel. The only reason it stays up is because I have the regulator up. The channel is clean and smooth now. It takes a very small amount of downward pressure to lower the glass. I may just use JB weld to fix the clips. I am a diesel tech so I can call one of my glass customers and see if they have an adhesive. I should have thought of that but I knew I wasn't the only person to experience this so I posted here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.