Window not moving (clicking noise only) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Window not moving (clicking noise only)

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor Bellypan

Unread 07-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
bolowbc
1998 ZJ 

Window not moving (clicking noise only)

My front driver side window is not responding to my controls (all other windows work fine). I did some brief google searching and some say to remove door panel and check for frayed wires.

Assuming that doesn't fix the issue, how do I figure out if it the motor or the regulator needs replacing? I know some people report a plastic piece on the regulator breaking.

Thanks.

bolowbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

If the plastic rollers on the regulator have broken, the regulator will still move, it just won't slide the window up and down correctly. The rollers slide in a slot on the bottom of the window and on the door. Normally, when one of the rollers cracks, the window will not go up straight, but it will move some.

If you take the door panel off and leave the switch connected, you can try to raise the window and you will see pretty easily if the motor is moving the regulator. The regulator is a big metal "X" with the motor attached to one of the legs of the "X".

Do the other three windows work from the switch on the driver's door? Is the clicking noise coming from the door or from behind the dash (relays)?
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
bolowbc
1998 ZJ 

Ah, thanks Kingr98. That makes sense regarding the regulator/motor. I forgot to mention, this is a '98 too.

All three other windows work from the switch on the driver's door. I just checked the noise, and it seems to come from behind the door switch.
bolowbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

If the other windows work from the switch on the drivers door, I would guess that it is either the wire that goes from the drivers door module or the motor regulator. If you remove the panel, you can unplug the power window motor and use a multimeter on the switch side of the connector to see if you have voltage when you push the button. If you do have power there, the issue will be the motor/regulator.

They are not difficult to remove, only a little awkward. Use painter's tape to hold up your glass. The motor will have four bolts, two need to be removed and two loosened. On the bottom of the glass are two "slides" that the rollers move back and fourth in. They have to be unbolted. Then there are two bolts holding the bottom slide to the door that needs to be removed. From that point, it is a matter of trying to figure out how to manipulate it out of the hole in the inside of the door.

Do not try to remove the regulator from the motor without being ready for a VERY strong spring throwing things all over your garage (ask me how I know). I got a replacement regulator with motor from the jy. I did not need the motor, but it was easier just to put it in as a unit.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Sometimes mostly on back doors rather than fronts. Fronts seem to be used more . But back windows that don't get used the grease in the motors stick them and they don.t work . So some times you can pull the door panel off have someone hold the switch down and hit the motor with a hammer to jar the brushes loose every thing goes back to work . I even had one wiper motor that I fixed this way. It ran the rest of the time I owned that truck. And old MEchainic would also have some one hold the switch down an he'd just slam the door about 20 times. He fixed several that way.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

I had a dead window motor on the 4.0 a month or so ago.. front passenger side.. oddly enough it caused all my windows to go haywire and not work anymore using the bottons on the doors.. After I replaced the motor all the windows now work.. Im not saying this could be your problem but it was for me
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
mbossy123
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitt View Post
Sometimes mostly on back doors rather than fronts. Fronts seem to be used more . But back windows that don't get used the grease in the motors stick them and they don.t work . So some times you can pull the door panel off have someone hold the switch down and hit the motor with a hammer to jar the brushes loose every thing goes back to work . I even had one wiper motor that I fixed this way. It ran the rest of the time I owned that truck. And old MEchainic would also have some one hold the switch down an he'd just slam the door about 20 times. He fixed several that way.
Yahoo, thanx papitt, bought my ZJ in January, when i bought it the rear driver side window was loose and would slide down, must have been off the tracks, and the motor was not working to close or open it, the switch on the back door for the window would click when pushed but the motor would not engage, took off the door panel, removed the motor and regulator assembly together, and was about to get another one when i decided to try the above idea, i turned the vehicle on so the electronic stuff would work ie turned key backward , pushed down on window switch at rear door and started banging on the motor with my ratchet, after 5 or 6 smacks, voila, the motor started to work, put the assembly of modulator and motor back in, set window snugly into tracks of regulator, bolted up, put panel back on, now works like a charm, thanx so much for the idea

Last edited by mbossy123; 04-29-2014 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: to add
mbossy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
papitt
1995 ZJ 

COOL Ain't it great to get to fix something for FREE.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
mbossy123
1998 ZJ 

yes it is, thanx again Papitt
mbossy123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.