Window motor and regulator replacement help 2004 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Window motor and regulator replacement help 2004

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
JAC1502
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Window motor and regulator replacement help 2004

My passenger side window rolled down half way and wouldn’t come back up on a 2004 Cherokee limited. After pulling the door trim and moisture guard I noticed the drive cable hanging loose. I assume it’s just as easy to replace the entire assembly as they are cheap than attempt a repair.

I know there are several bolts that hold the assembly in place but how exactly does it attach to the glass?

Any write ups or pointers would be nice. I have my window taped up now and plan to put it off till next week to get all the info I can. Thanks in advance!

#1 1997 Jeep TJ HEMI, 6" lift springs, 2" body lift, semi long control arms front and rear, Adjustable front and rear track bars, Slip-Yoke elim, 8.8 locked, 10,000 winch, Tube bumpers and rocker guards, Light bar, Custom swing away tire carrier, CAI, Electric cooling fans, Custom exhaust, Mickey T 35*14.5 on 15*12 wheels #2 2004 Grand Cherokee SE 4.0L, header, full exhaust, CAI, Bored TB, Clarion 10, RC X series 4" + 1, teflon wheels 17s, roof rack, winch, etc.
JAC1502 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
hike4it
2004 WJ 

When you get inside it you will see 2 cotter pin looking things on both sides of the bottom pull those out and you will see how the window backs off of that assembly at the bottom and yes your right it is cheaper and easier to replace the whole regulator
hike4it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
lsejlowe
2002 WJ 

my right front regulator took a crap early this spring. Got a Dorman replacement unit from Rockauto for about $80 and it's worked well so far. Noticeably slower than the rest of the windows, but not a big deal. Had I thought of it at the time I would have swapped the original motor onto the new regulator assembly. Something to think about.

As for removal, it's not as scary as it seems at first. The retainer clips that JAC is referring to are at either end of the bracket that attaches to the window itself. I'll see if I can find one of the write-ups I used.
lsejlowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
lsejlowe
2002 WJ 

here ya go:
http://www.jeepin.com/features/wj_window_regulator/
lsejlowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
terryj
2011 KK Liberty 

I just replace my passenger window regulator, the most common problem with these is the plastic piece that the cables attach to break. The company called Digital Tuning makes a replacement for these plastic pieces that are made from metal, there not that difficult to install. I installed these on all of the window regulators, I figured I'd fix this problem once and not have worry about when the next window regulator would break.
terryj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.