winch mounting systems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > winch mounting systems

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 12-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

winch mounting systems

Did some pretty harsh wheeling today, probably more than a ZJ on a BB and 30s shouldve handled. After almost getting stuck a couple times (was by myself, i know, not smart) Ive decided i should get a winch. im torn on the mounting systems though. full winch bumper vs. mounting plate (rough country or similar) vs. front mount reciever hitch with winch attachment. which would you choose and why??

Unread 01-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
melk
1996 ZJ 

I've had mine mounted on a Iceland plate for a year now.

I don't like where it sits and I plan on going with custom mounting with either a front and rear receiver hitch or some other easy-hookup system so that I can easily swap which end of the Jeep the winch is on.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

I've got a ARB front bumper and really like it, nice to be able to mount lights on it, and I like the protection it gives my front end.
Downside, it's pretty heavy, and certainly doesn't help gas mileage, if that's a concern.
I do like the idea of the f/r receiver hitch, for the versitility of being able to move the winch to the end you need it on. In the future,I may get a receiver mounted winch plate and winch for the back end, and run some sort of quick-connect wiring for it, but I haven't needed one yet, and want some other toys first.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I went with the RC to save weight. It blocks airflow. No worry in the winter. My ZJ is running too cold after an all aluminum radiator and removal of the AC condenser.

You could mount the winch control box somewhere else and that would help a lot.
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
I went with the RC to save weight. It blocks airflow. No worry in the winter. My ZJ is running too cold after an all aluminum radiator and removal of the AC condenser.

You could mount the winch control box somewhere else and that would help a lot.
maybe a pusher fan in front of the radiator to make up for the lack of airflow?
Unread 01-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I never had an issue with cooling when I had 4 6" KCs in front of the grill or when I had the ARB with the same 4 lights. My buddy with the RC mount is having no issues with cooling either.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

so im thinking the rouch country winch plate is going to be best for my application. next question is what winch should i get??
I think I want one with the synthetic rope instead of steel cable.
Obviously a warn winch would be great, but I really cant see spending 800+ for something thats going to sit in the weather and not get used all the time.
some suggestions?
Unread 01-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

My Superwinch had been in some ugly spots, 1.5hrs pulling my Jeep up a hill after I snapped the front shaft in sub zero temps, and still runs perfect. I'd buy another for sure.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
so im thinking the rouch country winch plate is going to be best for my application. next question is what winch should i get??
I think I want one with the synthetic rope instead of steel cable.
Obviously a warn winch would be great, but I really cant see spending 800+ for something thats going to sit in the weather and not get used all the time.
some suggestions?
I got the entire package from Fat Bobs Garage. Mount plate and RC 9500 lb winch with syn rope and got the shackles too. The winch is a cheap Chinese unit. I would get an American winch and do it right the first time.
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Can't go wrong with an rc winch plate love mine

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.