A winch mount, ONLY for a winch..... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A winch mount, ONLY for a winch.....

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

you need to anchor it to two sides of the frame rail, usually in an L configuration.

make up a new radiator support while you're at it and use it to help sandwich the sheet metal and provide extra lateral stiffness.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #17
TMCXJ
1996 ZJ 

Well, if the guy can weld that hitch mount for $150, he can certainly fab a front receiver for less, right? Or not, IDK... just a thought.
"...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine
TMCXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #18
Xerxes
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
you need to anchor it to two sides of the frame rail, usually in an L configuration.

make up a new radiator support while you're at it and use it to help sandwich the sheet metal and provide extra lateral stiffness.
the brackets coming from the mount will go in here and get bolted:

They do it a lot for XJs. As far as the rad support, I was just going to get KOR Rad Support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCXJ View Post
Well, if the guy can weld that hitch mount for $150, he can certainly fab a front receiver for less, right? Or not, IDK... just a thought.
Hmm, never thought of that. I guess he could, but for some reason Im just not favoring the look of it being on a hitch mount. UPDATES: I went to another place close by and showed them my model. He said for $120 total I could get it made. Im thinking about doing that. Worst case, just get a rear hitch receiver and keep my hitch mount for if I get stuck in back?

Thanks for the input everyone!

|::Sahara Owner::|
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #19
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

doesn't make it right, the GOOD manufactured bumpers mount to two planes. do it right.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #20
Xerxes
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
doesn't make it right, the GOOD manufactured bumpers mount to two planes. do it right.
maybe for other Jeeps, but not that Ive seen with ZJs for winch mounts. IOR's "Go Berserk" winch mount is pretty close to mine

and heres a photo I found of someone else doing kinda the same thing with mounting brackets

Unread 04-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #21
Xerxes
1999 TJ Wrangler 

bump...

just to update you with whats going on, I decided to just go with having the model made into a welded mount. A place near my house said for $120 they'd do it, so I said go ahead. It will be a removable mount, so if I want I can put the plastic bumper back on if need be. Also, I like having it this way because I will eventually continue beefing it up and turn it into a full custom bumper. The one guy who works there does offroad racing with his CJ7 so he said he knows about this stuff and will make sure its made to stand up to trail abuse. Once I get it I'll have more pics!

So Im selling the hitch mount if anyone would be interested?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f94/w...style-1017277/

Unread 05-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #22
Xerxes
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Finally................

well, all kinds of interesting things happened with this project haha. The place had said it would take 2 weeks, and after 1 month I called again to get an update on it. They still said they had not started yet. As you can imagine I was not happy. I said I know a couple other places that could have it done within a couple days, and if it wasnt done by Friday I would come get the stuff and go somewhere else. That was apparently enough fire under their butts to get them moving. They called today and said it was done and I could pick it up. THEN instead of $120, they said that was a rough estimate and it was really worth $255. I was not happy. Long story short, they said it was their mistake and took $150.

Here he was shaving it down a little more so it would fit perfect

and here she be!

then I coated it with truck bed liner

checking it out

here is how it sits as of now. Tomorrow I will hopefully wrap it all up

Unread 05-19-2010, 12:12 AM   #23
myjeeplovesmud
2004 WJ 

i think what you have looks good, i would just 45 the corners back to the bumper, making it shaped more like this, \____/
ZONE 4" Lift With 32" Duratracs
Hella Lighting - Rola Rack - KOR 3/4 Spacers
IRO Sliders - Rusty's Hooks - Cobra CB

MY BUILD THREAD
BAD TO THE BONE ZONE

November 2010 GCOTM
myjeeplovesmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #24
Xerxes
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I was thinking about that. I think I will eventually add to the mount to make it a full bumper, so the other parts would have that shape you're talking about

Unread 05-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #25
Xerxes
1999 TJ Wrangler 

okay Jeep bros! Im back to wrap up this thread, since we all know about the "pics or it didnt happen" rule

I tested it out by winding the line back on

getting it hooked up was such a *****, but with a little modification of the holes i was able to bolt it up.

and thats it! One thing that I didnt car for was how they stitch welded in, rather than all the way across, but they said if it breaks on the job they will fix it for free. I did have a funny issue with the control box. Theres a small bolt on the bottom of it, and it HAD to be touching the bar on top of the winch to work. Oh and to make it better, when it was running anything near it that you touched would shock you..... definitely the winch from hell

the obvious problem was the box was not grounded correctly, so a wire from the bolt on the box to a metal part of my Jeep quickly resolved that issue. Eventually more metal will be added to the mount, until it becomes a full bumper. until then...... im happy

Unread 05-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #26
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

Yeah, my Warn M8000 has a little wire coming from the control box, ain't more than about an 18 gauge, obviously a ground. I just connected it to the bolt on the winch where the big ground wire goes, so when I hook up the winch it's grounded...

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #27
Xerxes
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yea this one was weird because there were no other wires. just the 2 that have the quick-disconnect at the end to snap into the winch, and then the 2 coming out of the box to go to the battery. since i got it used there were no instructions at all...... figures.... lol

Unread 05-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #28
madrabbitt

i'd assume the reason it didnt ground was because you coated it completely in a non conductive material before you mounted it.

Looks good though

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #29
Xerxes
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt View Post
i'd assume the reason it didnt ground was because you coated it completely in a non conductive material before you mounted it.

Looks good though
true true, and thanks. In this case, it wasnt even that, it was just the fact that the box apparently wasnt grounded at all. But the Baja lights in front were grounded just fine, so theres no grounding problems thankfully.

shot from yesterday

Unread 08-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #30
Jeepbrunette
1998 ZJ 

I know that the factory bumper is weak, and once you have that winch pull your truck that bumper is going to be pulled out, it needs to be attached to the main body structure, the frame. Also reinforce the Bumper with Stronger metal, thinker plates then the design on the front you can goof around. Thats why they make bumpers. Much more than just a mount, I am the same college student ;] so I been there. Wsnt to tell you before you pay for a fix on a ripped out bumper!
Jeepbrunette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brackets , bumper , jeep zj , mount , winch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.