Will zero oil pressure = Limp Mode? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Will zero oil pressure = Limp Mode?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 09-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
PT's93
1998 ZJ 

Will zero oil pressure = Limp Mode?

'97 ZJ, 4.0

Oil pressure gauge reads zero. Coolant temp normal, Engine runs fine for a few minutes, then looses power & 35mph becomes top speed. No ticking or knocking.

Will zero oil pressure indicated put the engine into Limp Mode after a period of time?

This is brother-in-law's ZJ. He noticed lack of oil pressure after third power loss (he was assuming tranny problems). Three power losses in a three day period, and still no ticking, knocking, or running hot. Before I start looking at the oil pump and its drive, wondering if all it needs is a sending unit.

Thanks!

Unread 09-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

No neither the PCM nor the TCM get readings from the oil pressure sensor. It only goes to the dash board gauge.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
PT's93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers View Post
No neither the PCM nor the TCM get readings from the oil pressure sensor. It only goes to the dash board gauge.
Thanks!!

I was afraid of that.

Yet, one of the computers knows that there's something wrong. Brother-in-law reported that a "Check ???" light was flashing on last run. I'll pull the ScanGauge out of my Explorer and check his codes before yanking the pan off. I'll also check for a broken pump drive shaft. Can you tell that I'm not looking forward to taking the oil pan off!

Thanks Again!
Unread 09-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
acidspit86

i dont know about the zj but on the wj it wont bring you down to limp mode
acidspit86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Kota04SXT
2006 WK 

Flashing CEL is no good. Usually indicates a knock/bad miss in a cylinder. Does the oil pressure gauge move when he gives it gas?
Kota04SXT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
PT's93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota04SXT View Post
Flashing CEL is no good. Usually indicates a knock/bad miss in a cylinder. Does the oil pressure gauge move when he gives it gas?
Talked to brother-in-law - It was a "Service Engine Soon" light on the Information Center, not a CEL. They probably didn't do a reset at last oil change.

Do not know about pressure rise on rev-up. I'm going to wait till he gets it to my place for further diagnosis (the only in-law that's mechanically inclined was the father & now that he's passed away I seem to have been voted the family mechanic).
Unread 09-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
simidrm

limp mode

I would say that your oil pressure sending unit has gone bad because if you had 0 oil pressure that engine would self destruct in less than a min,as far as limp mode that is a transmission issue where when the gov pressure sensor goes bad the tranny goes into limp mode which will usually only give you 3rd 4th and over drive and starting out in 3rd gear will make the engine work hard to get moving resulting in slow speed until rpm get up to normal range this is a protection for the tranny that also lets you get vehicle to a service station.
simidrm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.