will a y link radius arm work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > will a y link radius arm work

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
ghudson434
1993 ZJ 

will a y link radius arm work

I have a 93 grand and planning on building a "y" link radius arm setup for the front. I was wondering if this same set up would work for the rear. I am a newbie and have searched and cant find this topic for a zj but have seen it on a tj i believe. I have a 2 in budget boost but im planning on a fr to rear swap before i do this build.

ghudson434 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
sandman
1993 ZJ 

your best bet for the rear is to triangulate the upper arms and eliminate the track bar. hop over on mallcrawlin and brouse through their members rigs section most of those guys have custom LA set ups.
Unread 08-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
ghudson434
1993 ZJ 

read some about that and that seems a little complex. but i will check that out. seen alot of figureing out geometry stuff but ill read up some more on it.
Unread 08-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

A double triangulated or single triangulated four link is much easier to make it work, there is just som many builds to get ideas from.

That being said, if you do a radious arm setup in the rear, you will have a trackbar, unless you triangulate the radious arms, which is a possibility. I would suggest a double triangulated setup if you can do it.

1998 5.9 limited, DT headers, CAI, 3" exhaust.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
ghudson434
1993 ZJ 

where would i need to start in designing the triangulated 4 link and would i also need to design the y link for the front or is it as easy as it looks? i mean as far as just makeing the cross member and the control arm brackets and the control arms? or is it certain angle that the arms need to be in relation to say flat ground that i need to know to build these? maybe im wrong but yes they both look simple but i see the chart with axle squat and stuff like that and its kinda confuseing me. im not really looking for huge amounts of articulation just looking to make the ride more comfortable when i go higher with the lift.
Unread 08-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Radius arms do not work well in the rear. Your anti-squat #'s will be horrendous.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2009, 09:59 PM   #7
ghudson434
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHC2000WJ View Post
Radius arms do not work well in the rear. Your anti-squat #'s will be horrendous.
what do i need to know before i start building this thing? i know how to read and am willing to do it. just let me know what to read or point me in a direction for someone just learning.
Unread 08-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Google 4-link rear suspension. Theres a **** ton of reading out there to do. I think 4wd magazine had a recent article that touched on the basics of rear suspension design.

Go to Pirate4x4.com and Mallcrawlin.com and do some more research & reading. Then, once you understand the basic principles, get under your rig with a tape measure and a 4-link calculator and start laying out a design. You'll most likely have to make some trade offs between the best setup in the calculator and what actually fits on your jeep.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

Ok some quick rules of thumb.

Upper arms, should be 70% of the length of the lower arms, give or take.

Mount the uppers on the axle above the differential, and the lowers flush with the tube. The seperation between the links at the body end should be half the measurment of the axle end, IE lower link to upper link on the axle end could be 10", the body should be close to 5" seperation height wise, if that makes sense.

It is best to mount the ends of the lowers as wide as possible on the axle, it creats stability and flexes better, just watch out for tire clearance. The angle of the tabs on the upper axle truss ideally is 22.5 degrees, same for the body side lower tabs if making a double triangulated 4 link.

Unread 08-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
ghudson434
1993 ZJ 

well im more lost than i was before i started reading guess i should just buy a kit from somewhere that has all the angles and lengths already figured out. way over my head. thanks guys.
Unread 08-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

NO! I say build not buy! If you have the ability to read, and a welder, or access to one, you can save yourself a ton of money. I am building my entire rear suspension for under 350.00! probably less!

Just read and read some more, about a week of research for an hour or two a night, and you should have enough info to at least start a build.

Unread 08-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #12
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

Ok, this link is to a tracker build, but litterally the same principal, granted this guy is wicked good at fabbing, but I just really like how he shows so many detailed pics.

Kelsey's DD tracker - Page 2 - MallCrawlin.com Forums

Here is a good picture to show you a double triangulated rear four link.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.