Will a wheel alignment fix this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Will a wheel alignment fix this?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
97lerado97

Will a wheel alignment fix this?

If I am coasting at 35mph hands off the wheel it will drive straight. However on the highway she is all over the road as if all four wheels are going opposite ways. Also I noticed the two top bars in the rear (forgot what you call them)are very rusty and weak. When I bought the jeep the rear sway bar links were broken off..did this damage anything and will a wheel alignment fix my problem? Also when I turn I feel like the front is skipping...axels? Tie rods? Or just get a alignment?

Last edited by 97lerado97; 01-29-2014 at 10:18 AM..
97lerado97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

An alignment won't fix old worn out parts. I would start by replacing all 8 of the control arms starting with the lowers first. The arms will come with new bushings. After 15 years the rubber just disintegrates and the axle moves around. It's especially scary at highway speeds. After that you can look at your sway bar bushings, shocks if they are old, ect. The motor mounts and tranny mount are probably rotted as well.

After that I would get an alignment. A good honest shop will test your steering to see if the tie rod ends are worn out or not and tell you to get it fixed before they do the alignment. Doing an alignment on a vehicle with all that stuff worn out won't hold since it just moves around so much.

www.rockauto.com has some good prices. I used Moog stuff when I did mine. Even the cheapest Chinese crap arms with new bushings will make it feel better but they won't last and you will just waste your money doing it again soon. Better to get the higher quality ones even though they are more expensive. It's cheaper in the long run and less headache.

To answer your question, no having the rear sway links off won't hurt anything. Just makes it less stable on road.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

sway bar does nothing but tie the body to the axles and help control body roll. If you are trying to race on the highway, it will make a huge different. Other than that, you shouldn't notice any handling issues outside of feeling a lot more top heavy on turns.

As Polka stated, you're going to need to replace those worn parts before you can hope to get any kind of alignment done. If you go too cheap, you more than likely will be doing it again later so you might as well go at least mid grade parts or the best parts from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
Got all eight of my Dorman arms with the clevite bushings already installed for less then $300.00 shipped off RockAuto.
That's one option for ya as a reference point
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.