Will used O2 sensors work? Answer - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
belalerede
1997 ZJ 

Will used O2 sensors work? Answer

I have looked all over the web on multiple forums to this question amd no one gives a direct answer.

Here is what I have found to be true. So proceed at your own risk. Yes as long as it has the same # of wires. You will have to change the plugs to match yours. When you do this it is vital on the 4 wire sensors that you get the white wires in the correct position. You will need to use solderless connectors as well.

I have done this on multiple cars because I part out a lot of cars and have them laying around.

However it is a crap shoot. As you are dealing with a used sensor it may be good it may not.

As for how well it controls the emmisions I do not know as they dont test that here. But it does turn off the check engine light.

I have also in my experience have found the upstream and downstream use the same sensor just different plugs.

As you can see from the comments below there are risks and opinions vary as to weather or not you should do it.

Last edited by belalerede; 01-24-2016 at 05:38 PM. Reason: People cant read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 01:52 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by belalerede View Post
I have looked all over the web on multiple forums to this question amd no one gives a direct answer.

Here is what I have found to be true. So proceed at your own risk. Yes as long as it has the same # of wires. You will have to change the plugs to match yours. When you do this it is vital on the 4 wire sensors that you get the white wires in the correct position. You will need to use solderless connectors as well.

I have done this on multiple cars because I part out a lot of cars and have them laying around.

However it is a crap shoot. As you are dealing with a used sensor it may be good it may not.

As for how well it controls the emmisions I do not know as they dont test that here. But it does turn off the check engine light.

I have also in my experience have found the upstream and downstream use the same sensor just different plugs.
Wow how ghetto.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 02:13 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeah thats sounds like a really great way to screw somebody by getting the jeep just clean enough to sell.

1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 33's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ 5.9 - Junked
1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
belalerede
1997 ZJ 

yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Wow how ghetto.
but when your broke your broke
post #5 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 02:56 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

And when a bad o2 sensor fries a pcm, it fries a pcm.

1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 33's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ 5.9 - Junked

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
belalerede
1997 ZJ 

Ever here of used parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Yeah thats sounds like a really great way to screw somebody by getting the jeep just clean enough to sell.
So you have never used a used electrical part on your ride? Parts are parts. O2 sensors either work or they dont. Not everyone has the dough to drop in new parts everytime something breaks.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 03:05 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Not were it is directly connected to the PCM and is known to fry PCM's, no.

An o2 sensor is a lot different than a window switch.

1998 ZJ 5.9 - Junked

Quote:
post #8 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 03:06 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

So you have never used a used electrical part on your ride? Parts are parts. O2 sensors either work or they dont. Not everyone has the dough to drop in new parts everytime something breaks.
02 sensors are not generic.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
belalerede
1997 ZJ 

How

Quote:
And when a bad o2 sensor fries a pcm, it fries a pcm.
How is a bad o2 sensor gonna fry a pcm. It is isolated by a relay and a fuse. If it fries your pcm then the o2 sensor was not the problem to start with. You have to check your wiring going to the sensors first to verify a bad sensor. I have done it multiple times. It works as long as you do it right and the sensor you are using is the same type as your bad one. Ive been repairing cars for 20+ years. My 97 318 zj has been running on 2nd hand o2 sensors since I bought it. I get 17mpg average on interstate. I think its working.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
belalerede
1997 ZJ 

How

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
02 sensors are not generic.

Really. what is the difference? Other than the number of wires, the plug and the way it is mounted to the exhaust.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 04:07 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

A defective (or out of spec) heater will fry the PCM, it is not, in the ZJ, fully isolated.

1998 ZJ 5.9 - Junked

Quote:
post #12 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 04:36 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

From what I've experienced in changing out o2 sensors on my 96 4.0 I've owned since new is an o2 sensor may not be functioning up to spec but that doesn't necessarily indicate it's bad/good.

But I'd much rather replace a $35 o2 sensor with new OE than having a rich fuel mixture with an under-performing o2 sensor. You're going to spend that much on extra fuel along with possibly burning up the cat. And often a rich fuel/air mixture due to an old/poorly functioning o2 sensor won't throw a code.

As far as both both o2 sensors being able to be switched from downstream to upstream or vs versus don't believe that's necessarily true at least on my 4.0 ZJ.

Below is the upstream OE NTK 23121 for my 96 4.0 and it has vent holes in the top of the case and is a shorter profile.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=416&jpid=9

The NTK 23016 downstream o2 sensor below has no vent holes in the top of the case and an overall higher profile. Sometimes the sensor does vent through the hole for the wire harness rather than having vent holes.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...id=416&jpid=11

I would not want to move my downstream/cat sensor designed for determining cat efficiency to my upstream downpipe and expect it to work correctly. Note: while photos are not always correct on websites these are from RA and the same as my old/new o2 sensors I have.

Also like the idea of having new connectors which fit along with new clips. Nice having a new clip with plastic long connector on the downstream o2 sensor so the wiring doesn't hit the driveshaft.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
belalerede
1997 ZJ 

?

Quote:
A defective (or out of spec) heater will fry the PCM, it is not, in the ZJ, fully isolated.
If that were the case wouldnt it fry your pcm when it detected odd readings. What is the source of your info?
post #14 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
belalerede
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
From what I've experienced in changing out o2 sensors on my 96 4.0 I've owned since new is an o2 sensor may not be functioning up to spec but that doesn't necessarily indicate it's bad/good.

But I'd much rather replace a $35 o2 sensor with new OE than having a rich fuel mixture with an under-performing o2 sensor. You're going to spend that much on extra fuel along with possibly burning up the cat. And often a rich fuel/air mixture due to an old/poorly functioning o2 sensor won't throw a code.

As far as both both o2 sensors being able to be switched from downstream to upstream or vs versus don't believe that's necessarily true at least on my 4.0 ZJ.

Below is the upstream OE NTK 23121 for my 96 4.0 and it has vent holes in the top of the case and is a shorter profile.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=416&jpid=9

The NTK 23016 downstream o2 sensor below has no vent holes in the top of the case and an overall higher profile. Sometimes the sensor does vent through the hole for the wire harness rather than having vent holes.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...id=416&jpid=11

I would not want to move my downstream/cat sensor designed for determining cat efficiency to my upstream downpipe and expect it to work correctly. Note: while photos are not always correct on websites these are from RA and the same as my old/new o2 sensors I have.

Also like the idea of having new connectors which fit along with new clips. Nice having a new clip with plastic long connector on the downstream o2 sensor so the wiring doesn't hit the driveshaft.
In ideal conditions we all got the money to replace them. In fact in many instances you can disconnect the o2 sensors and the computer will go into default mode and run ok.

What I have found is that if you have a known good sensor with the wrong plug you can switch plugs and it will work. Try finding a vw 02 sensor for $35. Thats how I discovered this. Found out it works on other cars as well.

Of course you have to have a good used sensor for it to work.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-24-2016, 07:02 PM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
In fact in many instances you can disconnect the o2 sensors and the computer will go into default mode and run ok.
If "OK" is throwing max fuel at the injectors, then i reckon it's "OK".

Both O2 heaters in these the ZJ are controlled by the ASD relay. The heaters can go out of spec and use the current required for the injectors and coil causing unburned fuel, missing, and other problems. I have the resistance specs somewhere if you're interested.

Then as far as the generator in the sensor is concerned, yes any 5v generator that will send the pulses to satisfy the reasonability check will work. The ZJ PCM is has a wide discretion in regards to the timing of the switching from the generator. An engine running rich can be causing the people behind you to puke due to a lean signal from the O2 and the PCM doesn't care. It might eventually throw a code or it might not.

I didn't find out until recently, DC completely redesigned the O2 system in newer model GCs.

Us guys that frequent the ZJ forum can attest the O2 sensor can cause poor running in several different formats.

All that said, you can install oddball and used sensors if you want. As you said, sometimes it's your only option if you don't have any other means. But I will install OEM or equal on mine as long as I have have the means.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.