Will these tires fit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Will these tires fit?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
nothinlikeaJeep
1995 ZJ 

Will these tires fit?

My jeep has no lift and I am thinking about getting new tires. I found a great deal on craigslist and I want to get them but I want to know if they're going to fit. They are 31x10.5.

nothinlikeaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
JeepNaked9969
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I run 32s on a stock 06 tj sport, but they do rub a bit, even after i trimmed the fenders. Thats with sway bars off at full flex. If you do mild wheeling, or no wheeling at all, 31s, in my opinion, should work just fine. If you dont like em, trade down or put em back on craigslist...... also, something i do when i need tires is just order 1 tire at a time offline. Discounttiredirect.com had free shipping at the time i purchased mine earlier this year.

Also, i have backspaced wheels (3.5", i believe). I dont rub on turns, not sure if 31s will rub on stock rims, i would imagine not.... but its possible. One of the veterans of the wide world of jeepers should have a definitive answer for ya..... just thought id share my thoughts! :-)

Last edited by JeepNaked9969; 06-17-2011 at 11:04 AM..
JeepNaked9969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNaked9969 View Post
I run 32s on a stock 06 tj sport, but they do rub a bit, even after i trimmed the fenders. Thats with sway bars off at full flex. If you do mild wheeling, or no wheeling at all, 31s, in my opinion, should work just fine. If you dont like em, trade down or put em back on craigslist...... also, something i do when i need tires is just order 1 tire at a time offline. Discounttiredirect.com had free shipping at the time i purchased mine earlier this year.

Also, i have backspaced wheels (3.5", i believe). I dont rub on turns, not sure if 31s will rub on stock rims, i would imagine not.... but its possible. One of the veterans of the wide world of jeepers should have a definitive answer for ya..... just thought id share my thoughts! :-)
stick to the open top jeep side of the forum before you cost someone money. this is the ZJ section of the forum

they will be super tight, you will have to trim ALOT and will have zero suspension travel

this is straight from the FAQs, i reccommend you read all of the FAQ sticky
Unread 06-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
nothinlikeaJeep
1995 ZJ 

ok I had a feeling they would be tight. But would they be drivable without any modifying or no?
nothinlikeaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

What do you mean by modifying? You need a sawzall and bfh to make them fit. And alot of it
Unread 06-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
JeepNaked9969
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
stick to the open top jeep side of the forum before you cost someone money. this is the ZJ section of the forum

I apologize for that! I didnt notice when i was on my phone. I would not have chimed in at all had that been obvious to me.

BUT. no need to be a little snot about it. and money for what? tires? F IT! give it a shot. whether or not its an open top JEEP or not, JEEPS are FUN! Do what you want, learn from your mistakes! The only way to learn to swim is by jumpin in the water!
JeepNaked9969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

I recently had a zj in the driveway with 31x10.5s on stock rims, no lift. Owner claimed they didn't rub and fit fine, but my eyeball disagreed. It was a commuter jeep, and he'd worn 3/4 of the tread off, so they obviously fit good enough to drive even if they must've rubbed like h*ll when corners and bumps were combined.

The other factor is ZJ gained around 400lbs in 1996 and springs did not change. Between that and spring wear, some jeeps sit as low as station wagons.

A go for broke, learn from your mistakes method ^ is not the way to buy tires unless you like buying two sets, or living with wrong size tires for years at a time. It's much better to do your research, do some measuring, look at other ZJs, and buy the right set the first time.

An inch of rim width or backspace is everything, so know what people are using if you're taking recommendations. There's also variation between tire brands, with cheap tires tending to run small and quality boggers tending to run big. Also, guys with ribbons of rubber torn out of their sidewalls from body interference will look you in the eye and tell ya those tires fit. (That's guy's my best friend, say hi if you see him) Use common sense and you'll be fine.

If you're willing to buy a full set and work with the shop's schedule, they'll often mount one tire to help you make a size decision on the day of install.
Good luck.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
taz95zj
1995 ZJ 

I have a 95 ZJ with 31x10.5 pegasus avants AT and no lift it rubs at steering lock and that's it and as for suspension travel it suffers with out the lift but It still is capable my advise would be if you can afford it get a 2" BB. I have one but haven't had time to install it. anyway they will fit but it's snug and you just have to be carful in parking lots
taz95zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
tcar
2000 WJ 

I have a 94 with the UpCountry suspension.

Have 29's and had to trim a bit of the bottom of the plastic bumper. Not visible.

31's?
95 Limited V8
tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

235/75-15s are 29" tall and half this board runs em on unlifted jeeps. I think it's what upcountry came with.

I'll go back to tire width, rim width, & backspace being key to this discussion. With old-skool reverse offset mags stock tires will rub. Is it so suprising nobody agrees on what fits when one huge variable is ignored?
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
Derph
1994 ZJ 

^ big Lolz. I have 235/75 R15 and they measure about 28". Stock rims(98 Xj) and just the slightest rub at full lock. I'm not concerned about the rub. My bad 249 has fixed that problem for me.
Derph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 12:29 AM   #12
taz95zj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude
235/75-15s are 29" tall and half this board runs em on unlifted jeeps. I think it's what upcountry came with.

I'll go back to tire width, rim width, & backspace being key to this discussion. With old-skool reverse offset mags stock tires will rub. Is it so suprising nobody agrees on what fits when one huge variable is ignored?
i agree on what I personally experienced lol 31x10.50r15 fit on my 95 Canadian spec ZJ no lift with rub at steering lock with stock rims. still good amount of flex but yes rims with less backspace and my BB will negate any issues with fitment
taz95zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #13
Black97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

My uncle had a set of 31x10.5s on his stock rims with no lift and they only rubbed at full turn. He didn't trim the bumper or anything
Black97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #14
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

drive over a steep curb or speedbump at full turn; you'll disagree with 31s 'fitting'

many people, some on this board, rub their 31s BAD with a 3.5" lift and 31s. all depends what you do; if you have a bad tcase and upcountry suspension, you can run 31s on the street! been there, done it. used to rub pulling into the driveway though.
guess it depends on what your definition of 'fit' is. if they rub at any point on the street, it will be hell on the trail.

if you bought a 2011 jeep and your tires rubbed at full lock i bet you would disagree that your tires 'fit'

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 03:01 AM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I ran 245/75/16 mtrs for a bit while stock. Fit is the furthest thing from my mind when describing them.

Most people have a very liberal view of fitment and will accept rubbing on the control arms, sway bar, bumper fascia, and fender just because they like the bigger tires.

These guys fitting larger than 30" tires on stock leave the evidence of their proper install all over the outer lugs of their tires

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.