Will the real VIN please stand up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Will the real VIN please stand up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
rickd.

Will the real VIN please stand up

I found a site where I could check to see if my newly acquired ZJ has had all it's recall work done, so I took the VIN off the title, entered the last 8 numbers, and it spit up my truck's info, but it said that no recall work (front rotors replace, shift detent fixed, fuel sensor replaced) had been done, which is contrary to what I was told. Upon further inspection, the VIN on the title is different from the VIN on the window sticker (original owner who saved all his paperwork), which was different from the VIN on the registration and bill of sale.

Now, the differences are small, like a 'Y' for a 'V' or an 'S' for a '5', but big enough that I obviously need to get this straightened out. The truck is about 45 minutes from here getting the engine swapped out, but you can guess who I'm going to call tomorrow morning and have read me the VIN off the truck itself. I'm not terribly concerned, and I know everything is legit, but I would say that having the right VIN is important, wouldn't you?

rickd. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

Get that stuff worked out. I don't know how strict Illinois is with that, but that could get VERY sticky for you *IF* you choose to resell. I know in NY it's illegal to sell with an incorrect VIN on the registration. Get the right VIN, call your insurance company, and get it correct on the reggie.

I would be quite upset w/ the seller if I had to deal w/ this kind of problem.

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
rickd.

The reason I'm not too upset is because I know daughter of the family from whom I bought it. I know it will get worked out, and quite frankly my biggest concern as of this minute is that I want to make sure all the recall work was done. As long as the truck VIN matches the title VIN I'll be happy. If not, well I'll deal with that tomorrow.
Unread 02-06-2006, 10:49 AM   #4
rickd.

update:

Well, the truck VIN matches the window sticker VIN, which is different from the title in the last two numbers (595527 vs. 595542), which is different from the old plate registration (GZ78Y vs. GZ8Y. Sounds like clerical errors all around, but it's gonna be fun sorting this out at the Secretary of State's office this week.
Unread 02-06-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
Wiley

What site was that? I should probably check mine too. Hope you get it cleared up.

1993 ZJ Laredo

5.2 V8 • 4" lift • 31s • JKS f & r track bars • JKS discos • Cragar Soft 8s • DT 3000s • OME Stabilizer
K&N drop-in • Dynomax Exhaust • Hella 500s • Westin Safari Bar • KOR Radiator Support
Dark Rosewood Jeep Club Member #5
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
HawkeyeWJ

here's a hyperlink that i have stored to DC website that checks for recall, waranty, etc.

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/j...m%28%27R%27%29

2002 WJ 4.7 Limited
Onyx Green Pearl
HawkeyeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
Wiley

Cool, thanks.

1993 ZJ Laredo

5.2 V8 • 4" lift • 31s • JKS f & r track bars • JKS discos • Cragar Soft 8s • DT 3000s • OME Stabilizer
K&N drop-in • Dynomax Exhaust • Hella 500s • Westin Safari Bar • KOR Radiator Support
Dark Rosewood Jeep Club Member #5
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
HawkeyeWJ

No problemo... I was relieved to see that mine checked out ok. For now....

2002 WJ 4.7 Limited
Onyx Green Pearl
HawkeyeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.