Will Larger Wheels Effect Performance ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Will Larger Wheels Effect Performance ?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-19-2003, 08:38 PM   #1
AllanLeigh

Will Larger Wheels Effect Performance ?

Hi, I am writing from Darwin Australia, and I am in the process of seriously modifying my stock 96 Grand Cherokee for the Kimberly region of north western Australia.
The max lift I can get from ARB here is 50mm, and I am thinking of changing my wheels for a slightly larger size by one inch in diameter, and maybe wider too.
I am concerned whether this may adversely effect the gearing and efficiency of the motor/gear train etc.
Can anyone help with their experiences please ?
Regards Allan Leigh

Last edited by AllanLeigh; 06-20-2003 at 04:39 AM..
AllanLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2003, 02:41 AM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Are you asking about increasing wheel size wider or taller. Most of the aftermarket wheels here are slightly larger than stock. Mine are slightly wider than stock.

If you go with a ricer type of wheel that is much larger than stock then, yes, your overall performance could be changed. Especially braking.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2003, 06:00 AM   #3
Howler

The only thing that will be affected is your gas mileage. Increasing your height by 50 mm (2 inches) will allow you to fit tires that are 31" in height. However if you do a lot of off-roading then I would stick with a 30" tire to allow room to stuff your tire. After you put on the lift have a front end alignment done to keep everything in tune. A wider tire should be OK to. You might have slight rubbing on the control arms durring full turn but you can add washers to the steering stops or just not turn all the way. I run a 31" tire that is 10.5 " wide. I have rubbing only at full turn and I just left it. That way if I need to go all the way I can. Hope that answered your questions.
Howler

PS your gearing will be fine up until about a 33" tire. Then you'll notice it slow down a lot.
Unread 06-20-2003, 09:55 AM   #4
automan25

Going to a larger tire will also screw up your speedometer reading. It will tend to read lower than the speed you are actually going. So watch out for those cops.
Unread 06-20-2003, 10:08 PM   #5
Ryan2son

Any deviation of wheel size will affect performance.

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
4x4, 4.7 V8, Quadratrac II, Loaded

A Hail the Mighty Philadelphia Eagles!
Ryan2son is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.