Will I ever get my ZJ in the garage....? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Will I ever get my ZJ in the garage....?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

Will I ever get my ZJ in the garage....?

Finally got stuff done and was able to clear the garage, and after a couple of late night phone calls, I now have a Mercury Sable in there for a tune-up and some AC work, followed by an F150 for plugs wires and intake replacement....... I swear, I don't think my Jeep has ever actually been in my own garage........

V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Sounds like you need to build a bigger garage. Can never have too much garage imo!

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebian View Post
Sounds like you need to build a bigger garage. Can never have too much garage imo!
Truer words have never been spoken!
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

never will be if you have a constant lineup of Ford products in your possession lol
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ
never will be if you have a constant lineup of Ford products in your possession lol
Heh heh

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum so it probably looks goofy.
RagTagSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
sebian
1995 ZJ 

At least Ford circled the problem with their vehicles!

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

There seems to be a pattern emerging, I get a bunch of non jeep personal projects to do(tractor repair, Mower deck repair, build the wife some cornhole boards etc etc) I get done, clean up the mess I left behind(I really gotta get better at putting my stuff away) Make some space so I can put the ZJ away, then the phone calls begin.....lol. My garage is a 26x26 pole barn thats 20ft tall. I've cut the center supports out of it and replaced then with 20ft 2X10's to carry the roof, working on building a partial 2nd floor inside for storage and a mini man cave. Doing it on the cheap, using salvaged materials. So far all I've paid for in materials are the 2x10's that were 20 feet long, dropped about 60 bucks. I've closed in the front of the barn and used some old house doors to make two big doors, and done a partial second floor at the rear thats holding most all my other wood. The barn was on the property when I bought it. It's got half a concrete floor, so I built up the other half temporarily so I can get in and out with a vehicle, and hopefully, come tax time, I can sock away the 600 bucks I need to get the rest poured. After that I can put in my staircase up to the planned catwalk so I can have access to the upstairs easily. I scored 1500 sqft of 1 inch fiberglass ceiling panels for free, these will help with insulating(steel sheathing on 3 side and a metal roof) Found a couple of 55 gallon drums to convert to a woodstove for winter(did I mention I have picked up about 100 wood pallets for firewood?)and I have a deal with a guy for a used 10ft overhead door for 300 bucks. I have my eye on a hydraulic scissor loading dock that I can convert to a low level lift (got about a 4ft lift on it, it's enough, and hopefully I'll get it for free.) Been finding a lot of used fluorescent light fixtures, but used wiring is hard to come by because the copper is worth so much, and the new stuff is waaaaay expensive, I'm still looking though. If I can ever get the inside organized(still a ton of stuff in there from when we moved in) I'll have plenty of room to play. Working on building a lean to on the side to put the extra lumber in, but the salvage pickings have been thin recently. Then once I get all these darn fords fixed, I'll get to my Jeep. There is a warehouse near me that may be getting torn down soon, I need to find out who the GC is and see if a couple of twenties will get me inside for a few hours to pull wiring and conduits. I found 400 feet or wiring on Craigslist, but the guy wanted about 20 bucks less than I could have bought new for, it's a local thing, everybody around here thinks their used stuff is made of gold.
V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

For Electrical: ALWAYS USE NEW WIRING! Think of doing all this work, then having it all burn to the ground due to some faulty older wire. Wire is Made to be put in a wall, then sealed up and NOT MOVED.
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagsc7 View Post
For Electrical: ALWAYS USE NEW WIRING! Think of doing all this work, then having it all burn to the ground due to some faulty older wire. Wire is Made to be put in a wall, then sealed up and NOT MOVED.
If its all in conduit (and done correctly) then its thhn stranded or solid, not typical plastic jacketed romex so there's no issue with reusing it as long as the jacket is intact. I've been on plenty of jobs where we will be doing an addition or moving circuits around and we'll use long runs of wire we've removed to do new shorter runs, inspectors dont care as long as its undamaged, wired up properly and up to code.
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Cornhole boards?

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
Cornhole boards?
Two framed boards set across from each other that sit at about a 30 degree angle with a hole in each one, you stand back and try to throw bean bags into the hole. It's a game of sorts. Kinda fun sometimes, too.

Kinda like a mix of shuffle board, horse shoes, and skee ball

ZJ FSM
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Fk&usp=sharing
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
You have the exact opposite problem of me. My ****ing heep wont leave the GD garage!

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:11 AM   #13
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

My mind went to beavis and butthead, the great cornholio, lmao.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:31 AM   #14
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
My mind went to beavis and butthead, the great cornholio, lmao.
I know, right? Not the best name for a game!
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #15
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Cornhole boards?
The name originally comes from the bags being filled with corn rather than beans.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.