Why would someone do this? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Why would someone do this?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #16
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
maybe he did and assumed it worked great because there was nothing there to bind
I guess we have different definitions of "testing" 4WD. My method its obvious.

Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
dave_dj1
1994 ZJ 

Some good advice has been given. I would take the front diff. cover off and see what's going on in there. It may have been just that the vc was bad and they "thought" that was what they needed to do.
To answer a previous question that you asked about how crud could get in there, if you are missing the axle shafts including the stub shafts then the end of the axle tubes is wide open to allow stuff in.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
shaban
1996 ZJ 

My advice would be:

- Make sure that you don't have any front axles. You can see that where the axle tube ends.
- Open the front diff to make sure it's not chewed up real bad, look for gear cogs damage and metal shards in the oil, replace the oil.

If above is all good:

- Get some junkyard left and right axles with u-joints (and bearings with them to save the hassle of undoing the axle nut); Even if your diff is screwed you can still reuse these and u-joints are more robust than CV's anyway. Keep in mind you'd need these with tone rings for ABS, some XJ's and all ZJ's came with those.
- Get a junkyard front driveshaft, CV-style.
- Bolt it all together and see how it goes. Listen for noises at 60-70 mph, growls/whine etc. That'd tell if your diff is good or not.

If the diff is good, proceed to VC diagnosis. If not, get any junkyard D30 front axle from XJ or ZJ (keep an eye for ABS sensor hole if getting a XJ axle)
with same gearing ratio (3.55 or 3.77, whatever you've got). If getting axle from XJ, better get a low-pinion version, high-pinion is stronger but requires a 2-3'' lift. Also if you get an axle with u-joint in front, you can replace your front driveshaft with a stronger u-joint driveshaft.

VC diagnosis:

- To a tight figure-8 turns on a dry pavement, look for wheel binding/hopping and reluctance to go in turn in idle. If you see that, your VC in your Tcase is dead. Then you have 2 options:

a) Rebuild your tcase, install a new VC, costs about $400, good for another 100-150K
b) Get a junkyard 242 tcase and swap it in, costs about $200 and good for the rest of your ZJ life.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #19
wwcenturion
1998 ZJ 

Thanks to everyone for replying, can't thank you guys enough for the tips and detailed instructions. Going to make sure the pinion and gears are there before deciding what to do next. Most definitely will seek my parts at a u-pull before buying anything new/rebuilt. I hope everyone in Jeepland has a great weekend.
wwcenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #20
darkhelmet
1998 ZJ 

My guess would have been front pinion bearings are shot and he didnt want to hear it roaring... hence taking the axles out and the drive shaft... hopefully it was something stupid like he wanted to save gas mileage and the only thing missing is axles and driveshaft
darkhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #21
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Still wouldn't hurt to check with the previous owner and see if he can/will tell why he removed the parts, AND he may still have the axles and driveshaft. If the PO does still have them and they're good that would save some of the shopping money and hassle.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #22
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

Lemon? LOL. Some lousy posts up there. ALL ZJ's need front end and tcase work after awhile. Big deal-NO.

If it was made by a man, a man can fix it.
Snowfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #23
dave_dj1
1994 ZJ 

Don't feel alone, the one i bought recently had this little hidden issue.
Not to worry though it has since been replaced with an 8.8
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #24
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I dont understand why someone would remove the ring gear and put it all back together @dave seems like alot of work.

On that same note my 93 limited parts jeep had a similar issue i was ably to spin the drive shaft in complete circles with both rear wheels on the ground and the entire time i drove it it sounded like it had a flat tire in the rear.
Unread 09-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #25
dave_dj1
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
I dont understand why someone would remove the ring gear and put it all back together @dave seems like alot of work.

On that same note my 93 limited parts jeep had a similar issue i was ably to spin the drive shaft in complete circles with both rear wheels on the ground and the entire time i drove it it sounded like it had a flat tire in the rear.
If you look really close you can see a cut mark in the carrier, they cut it in two places and took it out that way! YIKES! LOL
The inner pinion bearing was toast and the teeth were stripped off the pinion, my guess is it locked up and lots of bad things happened.
The other issue was when I pulled the front cover to check gear ratio, the heads of every other ring gear bolt were broken off. New bolts and some locktite and all is well on that end.
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #26
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

IF he got a niner and teh motor/tranny are in good condition and the body is nice then yea, with low KM, then ya, 2300 would be ok.

but when someone posts up they just bought a jeep without most of the front end in it you assume its a 500$ 'steal'

start hitting junk yards, find the driveshaft and an axle to swap in. easy and cheap if you look hard enough. i would assume a slew of things; if it was the VC then a new driveshaft will fix your problem. might as well do new axle shafts as well. start there. if you have a gawd aweful noise, look to the diff. and look to replace it. if its pinion bearings like others stated, then it probably ran with a junk driveshaft for way to long (and killed it with vibes) or he ran the diff low on fluid and killed the bearings that way. 2 most common ways to do that. either way you need a rebuild or a new diff. i'd go new diff. but all signs point towards poor maintenence.

its still a lemon in my books because of that though. anytime you buy a rig thats missing, umm, the whole 4wd system, you cannot assume ANYTHING was done right/maintained on the vehicle. this is not a 'dick' comment or me ripping on you. thats just the plain truth. the guy who sold it to you was 10x more of an ******* than i could ever be.

get it fixed up and enjoy.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #27
LilRedDakota
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I see both sides on JohnnyZJ's comments. I have to say I sold the daughters 96 Limited with a locked VC, pulled front driveshaft but had to yank the ring gear because it ripped teeth off the ring and pinion before I did the drive shaft. That being said, I sold it for $500 and he KNEW what was wrong with it, because I TOLD him. Driveshaft was on the floor and I offered him the ring gear, he didn't seem to want it missing teeth though. Went in my scrap pile.

And yeah, it's a lemon. So was the 96 I sold, the 97 ZJ, 99 XJ and 02 WJ in the driveway now. Send that one up to the cold snowy north to help round out my collection, who needs AWD in Alabama?

Any updates on axle/vc situation? And I hope the stub axles are in the front wheel bearings if you drive this any time soon.
Unread 09-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #28
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
I guess we have different definitions of "testing" 4WD. My method its obvious.
lol

last ZJ i gutted i did teh tight figure 8s and it felt great. i was surprised. even had a buyer lined up for a 'perfectly good 249'........ until i pulled it and realied there was so much slack in teh chain it just didn't spin the front axle.....
so of to the dump it went
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #29
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

That sucks....Someone was definately trying to hide something...But you should be able to get a couple of cv style axles for $60-70...Driveshaft you may have to source from a JY or a driveline company...hope that is all it is....I would take the cover off the front diff and clean and check it out before you get to far....You may have a bad diff...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #30
dr hook
1996 ZJ 

Man, I hate to hear that. If you were closer, I could help ya get it fixed up. Good luck with getting it going

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.