Why would I want the 9'er? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Why would I want the 9'er?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #91
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN59ZJ View Post
Whether it will go 150 or not, you all are insane going over 100 in these things!

Maybe I'm getting old
Yeah , I admitted that but , I also make sure things are in top condition and after having cars that did faster and tried them , 150 doesn't seem so fast . It's also got to be the right place at the right time , I would never attempt this on a road where anyone else was . My time is early Sunday mornings when no one is on a road I know well out in the countryside . I won't carry any passengers . It's not a "look at me" thing , I'm an adrenaline junky I suppose .

My 2002 BMW would do 265 kmph ,which I think is 165 mph to the red line . My 70 Chevelle had a 500hp 454 but would only do 120ish , sure got there fast though . I've owned Camaros , Corvettes , Trans Ams , Mustang 5.0s etc etc , over 60 so far . Not many I didn't try at least once , few ever got pushed that far twice , none did I crash . My former hobby was motorcycles . It's not my first rodeo .

BTW , I'm older than you , but your only as old as you feel .

That jeep in question , I built for my wife

newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #92
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

My 94 BMW will do 155 mph all day long, but it was built to do that, & given the right circumstances I'll do it! But in the ZJ? Let's just say I'm only a calculative risk taker! With my lift & tires, 85 mph is a white-knuckle affair, and thats only 5 mph over the legal limit in South Dakota!
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #93
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I wouldn't do 100 in anything other than stock height and reasonable tires. Thats why I'm keeping the niner as stock and the 5.2 as my trail jeep.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #94
onionknight
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferny View Post
My computer has a custom tune too. To make it a LOT more stable at triple digit speeds I put HD ADDCO Front and Rear Sway Bars on it. I was up to 130 and saw traffic a ways up ahead on a usually clear section of pretty straight interstate and had to back off. It was very stable and I would not hesitate trying for 140 to see if it still wanted more like it did at 130.
On the way home from the dealership after picking up my new T/A I buried the speedo way past the 100 MPH marking, got a 160 speedo in it now. Ive always liked going fast. Did some amatuer racing years ago and some course work at Watkins Glen and learned a real lot from it, especially in the rain at speed was helpful learning how to recover from pushing it a little to hard. This guy I knew who always owned fast Camaros but had never been in a T/A with a beefier suspension. Had him crapping his pants on an entrance ramp to the interstate when we hit 95 at the top of the ramp. Wasnt a real tight curve, but a long slow curve with perfect slope that made the car want to stick like glue. I asked him if he wanted to try again for an even 100 MPH and he turned white. Everyone that owns a T/A has their favorite ramps, that is one of my favorites because you enter the bottom at 55 MPH in third and just put it to the floor. It wants fourth gear right around 100 MPH so your complete focus is the car and the road. Car is a 79 and still has all the factory paint except for the rear spoiler ends and the Wheel Flares. They have been repainted three or four times because they really work and the paint gets sand blasted off them every few years from the dust in the air that flows over them at higher speeds.

How stable is yours at 150 and what suspension mods have you done to keep it stable??
I recommend this to anyone I know! I raced dirt tracks & whatnot, but took some racing courses at Michigan International Speedway shortly after I got out of high school, and no matter what you think you know about vehicles, applying it at 160mph will teach you some things!! You can then apply those skills (understanding oversteer/understeer, grip, lines, etc) to everyday driving (making the road safer for yourself and everyone around you).

Build Thread: COMING SOON!
onionknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #95
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ

Nick , walmart has some reading glasses you should look into and yeah , I'm crazy for even trying it but hey , I can admit that lol
Why do I need reading glasses?
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #96
SteveGotAJeep
1995 ZJ 

I own capable vehicles of doing 150+... I don't need to own a 245hp 4000lb+ brick to know it won't do 150. 125mph probably, and not in a hurry either. I've also spent some time behind the wheel of a 5.9 as well as new srt8s which I would actually consider "quick". The niner was cool for it's time but you guys are living in the 90s if you really think it's that fast. Don't get me wrong i'd love to have that power out of my ZJ but for an off road rig i wouldn't want to tear one up.
SteveGotAJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #97
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

SRT8=car=why get a Jeep if you want a car?

Of course i agree, if you want to go 150, why get a Jeep?
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #98
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN59ZJ View Post
SRT8=car=why get a Jeep if you want a car?

Of course i agree, if you want to go 150, why get a Jeep?
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8...SUV, no car.
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #99
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The 1985 BMW M5 will do 153mph with a 3.5L engine and only weighs 500lbs less than the ZJ.

Are you seriously telling me that the a 5.9L 1998 vehicle won't even come close?

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #100
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGotAJeep View Post
I own capable vehicles of doing 150+... I don't need to own a 245hp 4000lb+ brick to know it won't do 150. 125mph probably, and not in a hurry either. I've also spent some time behind the wheel of a 5.9 as well as new srt8s which I would actually consider "quick". The niner was cool for it's time but you guys are living in the 90s if you really think it's that fast. Don't get me wrong i'd love to have that power out of my ZJ but for an off road rig i wouldn't want to tear one up.
I don't bull **** . Nor am I living in the nineties thank you very much , theres a 2011 in my driveway also . I dont give a **** what year it is , I don't think its that fast I KNOW IT !!

I was willing to make a wager but your not , not much I can do now is there . Pointless to argue if you won't let me make you eat your words You had your chance .

My jeep has more than 245hp . Closer to 300 . Did you read the thread at all since your first comment ? Jen even said she took hers to 130 and was still climbing but backed off .

Man , some people are so stubborn . Lol
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #101
dean477
1998 ZJ 

****, my 4.slow does 100 with some engine left, not much but some....i dont see why its so hard to believe the 5.9 can hit 125-150 considering it has nearly a 50% increase in displacement than my oh so slow 4.0
dean477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #102
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8...SUV, no car.
Independent suspension+ 5 door hatchback = station wagon not SUV (certainly not Jeep)
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #103
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN59ZJ

Independent suspension+ 5 door hatchback = station wagon not SUV (certainly not Jeep)
Badge says its a jeep so it is. They still perform well offroad, last week on top gear,American top gear. They put SUVs to the test. They had a srt8 grand , a land rover and a escalade. Part of the test was an off road challenge. And the srt took the cake. And the 4 wheel drive In these new grands is far better than your or my zj
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #104
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

As much as I despise that piece of crap poser show on History, I caught that one. Granted the moron driving the SRT8 was a moron, but the other moron in the GM stationwagon, and the moron that actually has a bit of talent ( in a rover) walked all over him.

The badge says Jeep because some corporate committee decided that soccer moms wanted a minivan that wasn't a minivan. So Mopar called it a Jeep, but it's not a jeep in spirit.

BTW, on REAL Top Gear, Hammond did mire in an Impreza than that "jeep" could do.

(Sorry for the rant, I just REALLY HATE American Top Gear)
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #105
SteveGotAJeep
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
I don't bull **** . Nor am I living in the nineties thank you very much , theres a 2011 in my driveway also . I dont give a **** what year it is , I don't think its that fast I KNOW IT !!

I was willing to make a wager but your not , not much I can do now is there . Pointless to argue if you won't let me make you eat your words You had your chance .

My jeep has more than 245hp . Closer to 300 . Did you read the thread at all since your first comment ? Jen even said she took hers to 130 and was still climbing but backed off .

Man , some people are so stubborn . Lol
Wow you're a joke. 300hp? With what a "perf pcm", headers, and msd ignition. Yup you're living in the 90s. You said it will do 150+ mph. Please get me a video with GPS not an inacurate pos stock speedo. No need to put both of our lives in danger. Go ahead send me a video and i will gladly eat my words. I'll even pay for that tank of gas. Please just stop. I didn't even talk mods, stock they aren't doing anywhere close to 150 and i'd wager it's not doing 150 even with your "mods".

I'm not doubting 125 mph....even 130. What i am doubting is 150, i don't think some of you realize how much harder it is for just that extra few mph when you get to those speeds. Maybe doubting just 1 person here..
SteveGotAJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.