Why would I want the 9'er? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Why would I want the 9'er?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #76
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGotAJeep View Post
110 and 150 is a HUGE difference. It doesn't do 150...i don't care what your speedo says, they are terribly inaccurate.

You couldn't pay me to take a jeep over 100 on a public road...lol
Think what you want . You don't own one so you just don't know anything about it

Got a passport ? Jump on a plane , I made the offer . There's a nice 3 lane hwy right there too . I'll make you crap your panties before sending you on your flight home ......at your expense .

Stock niners are governed and will not do it . Mines not stock .

newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #77
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

My 95 5.2 would hit the gov around 105 or 110. After I got the Mopar performance computer there was no gov. I got it up to around 115-120 and I had enough lol. It had headers, exhaust, all the bolt on's.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:32 AM   #78
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post

Think what you want . You don't own one so you just don't know anything about it

Got a passport ? Jump on a plane , I made the offer . There's a nice 3 lane hwy right there too . I'll make you crap your panties before sending you on your flight home ......at your expense .

Stock niners are governed and will not do it . Mines not stock .
Haha I'll take that offer if you pay for my flight there and back. I'd love to be in a ZJ going 150mph.
Unread 03-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #79
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
Haha I'll take that offer if you pay for my flight there and back. I'd love to be in a ZJ going 150mph.

Read again what I said . If it doesn't do it , I will pay for the flight . Trust me , I am not a gambling man , nor would wager against something that is not a sure thing .

BTW here's what a Canadian speedo looks like . I don't think your versions show past 125
dsc06034.jpg  
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #80
LunaMoona
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Read again what I said . If it doesn't do it , I will pay for the flight . Trust me , I am not a gambling man , nor would wager against something that is not a sure thing .

BTW here's what a Canadian speedo looks like . I don't think your versions show past 125

That is kilometers. 150 km/h is 93.2 mph. Please tell me you know that's km/h and you haven't been arguing that a 15 year old ZJ will do 150 mph. Please?
LunaMoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #81
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaMoona

That is kilometers. 150 km/h is 93.2 mph. Please tell me you know that's km/h and you haven't been arguing that a 15 year old ZJ will do 150 mph. Please?
It goes to 140 on the inside. Which is mph.
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #82
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaMoona View Post

If you look closer you will see that his Speedo goes to 140mph
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #83
LunaMoona
1993 ZJ 

I really truly want to know what his modifications are and why he seems to think that his 15 year old brick will defy the laws of physics. My friend has a full Dinan M3 that has a confirmed top speed of 163... And it took quite a while to get there. Sorry, but a ZJ just won't do that unless it's purpose built for drag racing, blown, completely stripped, etc.
LunaMoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #84
jenniferny
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
You are more than welcome to come for a visit . If it doesn't do 150 , I will pay for your flight . I have been there and not exaggerating , I never do !

Was I surprised , yes , but , it is a fact . And no , I'm not going to do it again and take a pic of my speedo which hits 140 and I buried it . Trying my jeep at that speed was crazy enough , but to take a pics or carry a passenger to do so is worse again .
My computer has a custom tune too. To make it a LOT more stable at triple digit speeds I put HD ADDCO Front and Rear Sway Bars on it. I was up to 130 and saw traffic a ways up ahead on a usually clear section of pretty straight interstate and had to back off. It was very stable and I would not hesitate trying for 140 to see if it still wanted more like it did at 130.
On the way home from the dealership after picking up my new T/A I buried the speedo way past the 100 MPH marking, got a 160 speedo in it now. Ive always liked going fast. Did some amatuer racing years ago and some course work at Watkins Glen and learned a real lot from it, especially in the rain at speed was helpful learning how to recover from pushing it a little to hard. This guy I knew who always owned fast Camaros but had never been in a T/A with a beefier suspension. Had him crapping his pants on an entrance ramp to the interstate when we hit 95 at the top of the ramp. Wasnt a real tight curve, but a long slow curve with perfect slope that made the car want to stick like glue. I asked him if he wanted to try again for an even 100 MPH and he turned white. Everyone that owns a T/A has their favorite ramps, that is one of my favorites because you enter the bottom at 55 MPH in third and just put it to the floor. It wants fourth gear right around 100 MPH so your complete focus is the car and the road. Car is a 79 and still has all the factory paint except for the rear spoiler ends and the Wheel Flares. They have been repainted three or four times because they really work and the paint gets sand blasted off them every few years from the dust in the air that flows over them at higher speeds.

How stable is yours at 150 and what suspension mods have you done to keep it stable??
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #85
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

I was about to say "Hey there's a discussion about this going on a tsf.net right now!" Then I realized newfie was the one that started it over there. It's tricky when you use different screen names...
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #86
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

I too am finding it hard to believe a zj with a niner is stable at speeds of 150.
OldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #87
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManTan View Post
I too am finding it hard to believe a zj with a niner is stable at speeds of 150.
I don't think newfie said anything about "stable".
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #88
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

It was on a straight run . Don't think I'd want to be on a turn lol.

It was just fine for stability , was also on a new strip of black top i drive daily . Jen , at that time I had new lower ca's from IRO , new sway bar bushings and end link front and rear , and new monroe reflex shocks . You know what these things can do if you hit 130 . You still had about 1000 rpm left and it showed no sign of letting up at that point .

Nick , walmart has some reading glasses you should look into and yeah , I'm crazy for even trying it but hey , I can admit that lol
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #89
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I've had my stock 5.2 up to 115, I don't doubt the niner will do 140+, but I need better tires before I try it. I will try it though.

ANd the 5.2 handles fine at 100, when I was getting use to the niner I kept hitting 100 by accident because I was lead footing like it was the 5.2, no stability problems and that was with the PO's ****e shocks.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #90
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Whether it will go 150 or not, you all are insane going over 100 in these things!

Maybe I'm getting old
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.