why wont Rough Country long arms fit AWD models? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > why wont Rough Country long arms fit AWD models?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJeep Tweaks at JeepHutSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

why wont Rough Country long arms fit AWD models?

Like I just said. Why wont they fit? All it sais on the site is "will NOT fot awd models" but dosnt explain why at all. Whats the difference?

MrMoosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
mrgimble
1997 ZJ 

It will fit its just that the front drive shaft on AWD models is the CV style and can't support the length\angles needed after the lift. Also I believe the belly pan skid will not fit quite right with the 249 transfer case due to the larger size.
Unread 07-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I thought the 242 was basically the same size as the 249? I know the 231 is WAY higher but very few ZJ's actually came with 231's.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
I thought the 242 was basically the same size as the 249? I know the 231 is WAY higher but very few ZJ's actually came with 231's.
Yea I thought the same. The only thing I can think of is the cv joint driveshaft being an issue
Unread 07-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #5
OWSIN
1997 ZJ 

I ran the 4" longarm with 1" spacers on mine back when it still had the stock axles and a 249/CV driveshaft... The transfer case skid will not fit, everything else worked fine. It's not uncommon for the CV driveshafts to go at that height, I just got lucky at the time I guess. Also, the upper control arm rubbed very slightly on the exhaust, but it was minor. If you look at the pictures in the install instructions, they are CLEARLY installing the lift on a V8 anyways, so it will fit, they just want to cover their ***.
OWSIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 05:53 AM   #6
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWSIN View Post
I ran the 4" longarm with 1" spacers on mine back when it still had the stock axles and a 249/CV driveshaft... The transfer case skid will not fit, everything else worked fine. It's not uncommon for the CV driveshafts to go at that height, I just got lucky at the time I guess. Also, the upper control arm rubbed very slightly on the exhaust, but it was minor. If you look at the pictures in the install instructions, they are CLEARLY installing the lift on a V8 anyways, so it will fit, they just want to cover their ***.
Ok thanks, its nice to hear someone speaking from experience. Yea I just figured if the skid is the issue then I just wont put it on. Im at a 4.5 inch short arm right now and my driveshaft is fine. Not sure how changing to long arms would effect it
Unread 07-11-2014, 05:58 AM   #7
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Almost half of the ZJ's manufactured between 93-95 came with 231's. I've owned several.

The factory skid plate is useless anyway. Toss it.

I was burning out front driveshaft CV joints at 3" lift off road. It was fine on pavement.

Your best bet is to swap in a 231 and front driveshaft that uses a Cardan joint at the axle pinion.

P.S. You might want to order control arm joint rebuild kits at the same time. Everybody in the club running the RC joints ends up rebuilding in a matter of months. If you want bulletproof then Clayton is the man.
Technohead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
I ran into Y pipe issues as well. They fit fine otherwise with my 242 case.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #9
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post

I ran into Y pipe issues as well. They fit fine otherwise with my 242 case.
What was the issue? And how did you solve it?
Unread 07-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
OWSIN
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoosecakes View Post
What was the issue? And how did you solve it?
If you're speaking of the Y-pipe issues, the upper arm hit mine enough to rub the paint off the control arm, just very tight clearance. I just left it and didn't worry about it. Not sure if Riot1987 did anything different!

Unread 07-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #11
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

Quote:

If you're speaking of the Y-pipe issues, the upper arm hit mine enough to rub the paint off the control arm, just very tight clearance. I just left it and didn't worry about it. Not sure if Riot1987 did anything different!
Ok so its nothing major. That pic is it at 5 inches of lift? So mine will be about a half inch closer plus sag since my springs are about a year old now
Unread 07-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #12
OWSIN
1997 ZJ 

At that point I don't even think I had the springs in yet, the arm probably sat right next to the exhaust at ride height. I took lots of pics as I went along with the install, so if there's anything you'd like to see let me know! Here's the arms after about 6 months of rubbing when I decided to go with full-width axles.

Unread 07-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #13
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
At that point I don't even think I had the springs in yet, the arm probably sat right next to the exhaust at ride height. I took lots of pics as I went along with the install, so if there's anything you'd like to see let me know! Here's the arms after about 6 months of rubbing when I decided to go with full-width axles.
That dosnt look too bad to me. And alright will do! It might be a little while before i actually long arm it. Ive just been trying to figure out what kit i plan on going with. Also I checked out your threads and ive seen your jeep on Instagram tons of times. That things badass
Unread 07-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #14
OWSIN
1997 ZJ 

Nah it wasn't bad at all for me, you could probably even adjust that out of the track bar to push it over enough so it wouldn't hit, but I didn't feel like it at the time.

While I have no regrets with going with the RC longarm kit, there are things I dislike about it. For one, the front crossmember is a huge PITA, it's gigantic, and one piece. If I ever have remove it for whatever reason, I won't be putting it back on, I'll build a better one. Most other kits are a three piece design so you can take just the center out for transmission work. The rear is also a 4-link with panhard bar (or 5 link, whatever you choose to call it), which flexes quite well, but if you want a triangulated 4-link to eliminate the track bar, that rules out this kit as an option. The build quality is fine, the arms are nice, the brackets are solid, but the smaller upper-control arm flex joints have a habit of popping out the retaining clips. One quick call to RC and no questions asked, they shipped me a new set. Have had no issues with the larger, lower joints as of yet. Most people also don't like the track bar relocation bracket in the rear, and would prefer an adjustable bar instead, but you get what you pay for. Does not include extended brake lines... You really should have them with this kit. There's probably more I'm missing, but that's my honest review of the kit so far. Maybe I'll write up a full review at some point with all the pros/cons.

Would I personally buy the kit again? No. I'd put more money into a different kit with more features that I would like to see. Is it a cost-effective way to go long-arms and does it perform decently well? Yes, of course. And it's held up to my build on full-widths and 38's so far without much carnage. So factor that into your decision making!

And thanks for the comments on my rig! Been a long build, and still plenty of stuff to do to get it where I want it! All part of the fun... Haha
Unread 07-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #15
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Nah it wasn't bad at all for me, you could probably even adjust that out of the track bar to push it over enough so it wouldn't hit, but I didn't feel like it at the time.

While I have no regrets with going with the RC longarm kit, there are things I dislike about it. For one, the front crossmember is a huge PITA, it's gigantic, and one piece. If I ever have remove it for whatever reason, I won't be putting it back on, I'll build a better one. Most other kits are a three piece design so you can take just the center out for transmission work. The rear is also a 4-link with panhard bar (or 5 link, whatever you choose to call it), which flexes quite well, but if you want a triangulated 4-link to eliminate the track bar, that rules out this kit as an option. The build quality is fine, the arms are nice, the brackets are solid, but the smaller upper-control arm flex joints have a habit of popping out the retaining clips. One quick call to RC and no questions asked, they shipped me a new set. Have had no issues with the larger, lower joints as of yet. Most people also don't like the track bar relocation bracket in the rear, and would prefer an adjustable bar instead, but you get what you pay for. Does not include extended brake lines... You really should have them with this kit. There's probably more I'm missing, but that's my honest review of the kit so far. Maybe I'll write up a full review at some point with all the pros/cons.

Would I personally buy the kit again? No. I'd put more money into a different kit with more features that I would like to see. Is it a cost-effective way to go long-arms and does it perform decently well? Yes, of course. And it's held up to my build on full-widths and 38's so far without much carnage. So factor that into your decision making!

And thanks for the comments on my rig! Been a long build, and still plenty of stuff to do to get it where I want it! All part of the fun... Haha
Believe it or not this info has been a big help. For the amount of wheeling I do I feel that RC is the best way to go. I dont think itll be nessecary tp spend the money and go clayton or IRO. And no problem man I look forward to seeing more of that build! Just gave you a follow

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.