Why are my rear tires wearing on the outside ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Why are my rear tires wearing on the outside ?

Custom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Why are my rear tires wearing on the outside ?

I've never had this problem before... I notice my rear tires are wearing out fairly quickly on the outside tread.. I have also had a poping noise coming from the drivers rear tire.. if I wiggle the tire I can feel it poping when i hold the tire and hear it.. Its like the tire is loose on the lugs or something but its tightend down to 100ft lbs .. I haven't been able to figure that out either.. I took the tire and brake off and everything looks ok, but the axle when I grab the lugs and pull it in and out does pop as well as lift up and down..

But yea why would my rear tires be wearing out ? Usually I had that problem with the front.. but the rear are looking shredded on the sides and on the drivers side specificly chunks are literally missing on the outside tread.. if it continues my new tires with only 10-12k miles on em will be gone fast.. I have been driving on the freeway ALOT the last 2 months.. I usually always drive city... but i have been driving my fiancÚ too and from work everyday for 2 months and i have racked up like 5-6k miles in the last 2 months because of that..

Ill check the tire pressure tomorrow its dark out now but yea

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
I've never had this problem before... I notice my rear tires are wearing out fairly quickly on the outside tread.. I have also had a poping noise coming from the drivers rear tire.. if I wiggle the tire I can feel it poping when i hold the tire and hear it.. Its like the tire is loose on the lugs or something but its tightend down to 100ft lbs .. I haven't been able to figure that out either.. I took the tire and brake off and everything looks ok, but the axle when I grab the lugs and pull it in and out does pop as well as lift up and down..

But yea why would my rear tires be wearing out ? Usually I had that problem with the front.. but the rear are looking shredded on the sides.. if it continues my new tires with only 10-12k miles on em will be gone fast..

Ill check the tire pressure tomorrow its dark out now but yea
You pretty much answered your own question.
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Yea okay, but what causes the axle to do that ? Its been poping for months now, i brought it to a shop they told me they couldn't find anything and you don't hear any bad bearings when driving.. I don't hear any bearing noises either... but when i took the tire off myself and the brakes and rotor and i grab the lugs.. and pull in and out it pops in and out very slightly.. you cant see it move but you can hear it.. and if i lift up and down on the lugs i can make it pop as well.. As well as when the tire is on and the jeep is on the ground if i grab the top of the tire and pull and push really hard it goes pop pop pop and i can feel the poping vibration in my hands through the tire.....

I thought some type of play like im getting when i grab the lugs and wiggle the axle on a C clip axle like these dana's was normal ?
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Yea okay, but what causes the axle to do that ? Its been poping for months now, i brought it to a shop they told me they couldn't find anything and you don't hear any bad bearings when driving.. I don't hear any bearing noises either... but when i took the tire off myself and the brakes and rotor and i grab the lugs.. and pull in and out it pops in and out very slightly.. you cant see it move but you can hear it.. and if i lift up and down on the lugs i can make it pop as well.. As well as when the tire is on and the jeep is on the ground if i grab the top of the tire and pull and push really hard it goes pop pop pop and i can feel the poping vibration in my hands through the tire.....

I thought some type of play like im getting when i grab the lugs and wiggle the axle on a C clip axle like these dana's was normal ?
Worn bearings,worn axle,worn center pin,worn spider gears,and worn C-clips(if you have them) can all be causes.
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Guess I'll have to bring it to a shop that specializes in axles.. I don't know where to start when it comes to axles.. I don't know any shops that are good with axles in my area either.. most of the mechanics i know i would never let touch my Jeep.. lol
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

A little bit of in/out movement is normal. Up and down, not so much. Sounds like something is bent.

Did you rotate the front tires to the rear and maybe they were wearing up there?

Is it your 4.0 or 5.9?
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Its the 5.9, I haven't rotated my tires like like 5-6k miles. I was actually getting ready to rotate them when i noticed my rear tires were wearing on the outside.. My front always wear a little on the outside but nothing like this... my rear have never worn outside before.... I usually just do a rotation every 3k miles or so and when i do the tires wear perfectly even in the rear.. But now something is different literally the tread on the side is missing small chunks.. Like I was driving in circles in the parking lot.. The only thing different i have been doing like i said was driving on the freeway... I have only put 30k miles on it in the last 3 1/2 years.. but i have put 5-6k in the last 2 months on it because of me driving my fiancÚ too and from work everyday.. I drive 60mph about 120 miles a day..

Besides that and the poping im hearing from the rear drivers side tire nothing has changed.. The poping just seems to be getting worse though.. Now when i start out cold and back up and turn my wheel to the right which turns the front end out left.. The rear end goes creak creak creak when im turning while backing up.. It also pops on the rear drivers side when im making right hand turns or when the road is curving to the right. Sometimes it pops loudly when i back up in the morning.. im worried something is going to snap
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Sounds to me like the entire axle housing itself is bent. A bad axle/wheel bearing wouldn't make both tires wear on the outside. The niner is stock, correct?
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

When is the last time you were into the rear diff? I found pieces of metal that turned out to be the washers for the track lok. It was growling pretty loud at that point from bad carrier bearings. I replaced those and the outers and had the track lok rebuilt. Very silent now. You won't be able to tell until you get into it probably. Have any of those things every been serviced?
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

I have serviced the rear twice since i got it 30k miles ago. right now it has 85-140 oil and the little mopar additive in it.. Last i had the cover off was earlier this year and everything looked fine to me.. i had no metal in it.

Thing is i have been in Jeeps with loud rear ends... mine is very very quiet you cant hear it making a peep.. cept at 65mph.. anything below 65 or 70+ its quiet.. so its weird.. if it were bearings wouldn't i be hearing roaring and stuff at all speeds... And this poping.. i dunno what it is.. thanks for the suggestions though... but besides what ive said.. basically when i wiggle the tire without the Jeep jacked up.. it feels like the tire isn't bolted on tight like the lugs are loose.. but they arent
Unread 01-12-2014, 11:09 PM   #11
Bigjtl65
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Its the 5.9, I haven't rotated my tires like like 5-6k miles. I was actually getting ready to rotate them when i noticed my rear tires were wearing on the outside.. My front always wear a little on the outside but nothing like this... my rear have never worn outside before.... I usually just do a rotation every 3k miles or so and when i do the tires wear perfectly even in the rear.. But now something is different literally the tread on the side is missing small chunks.. Like I was driving in circles in the parking lot.. The only thing different i have been doing like i said was driving on the freeway... I have only put 30k miles on it in the last 3 1/2 years.. but i have put 5-6k in the last 2 months on it because of me driving my fiancÚ too and from work everyday.. I drive 60mph about 120 miles a day..

Besides that and the poping im hearing from the rear drivers side tire nothing has changed.. The poping just seems to be getting worse though.. Now when i start out cold and back up and turn my wheel to the right which turns the front end out left.. The rear end goes creak creak creak when im turning while backing up.. It also pops on the rear drivers side when im making right hand turns or when the road is curving to the right. Sometimes it pops loudly when i back up in the morning.. im worried something is going to snap
I think everyone on this forum has a niner besides me?
Bigjtl65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #12
Bigjtl65
1996 ZJ 

What do the control arm bushings look like? Worn ones might cause the axle to walk causing some weird rubbing. I would try backing up in the direction that you said caused the pop when you were getting out of the driveway and see how close the tired is coming to the front/rear of the wheel well. May be even measure to see if one is getting closer than the other.
Bigjtl65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 01:15 AM   #13
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

So what was the psi in the rear?
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 01:20 AM   #14
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Jack both rear tires up and that won't work because it has awd. Jack all the rear tires up and push the tire towards the front then towards the back then try it with the other if you hear the popping sound it should eliminate it being the actual axle eh? Remember pbrake blocks good jacks ect.
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 06:11 AM   #15
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

When was the last time you changed the oil in the diff . This popping noise sounds like the friction modifier is not doing it's job . It will break down . I would rig a camera somehow to see if the driveshaft/yoke kinda jolts when this snap occurs . Could be as simple as adding more FM .

If you really want to know about your rear tire wear , you need to have the rear wheel specs from an alignment . Most should have the specs , rear toe in , camber , thrust angle etc . Make sure they can spec the rear diff before hand . To have the wear you describe , something has to show up .

I also think the play you describe , both up and down , in and out are normal . Even new bearings have a slight up and down play . In and out ? Normal . It's just held in with a c-clip and the only thing stopping that is the differential shaft . It does have it's allowable tolerances , easily felt as you described .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.