Why I will never do business with Les Schwab again. *LONG* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Why I will never do business with Les Schwab again. *LONG*

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-31-2003, 04:48 PM   #1
MilanJeep

Why I will never do business with Les Schwab again. *LONG*

You might have read my other thread about how I ordered a lift, wheels, and tires for the ZJ. Well I ordered 33x12.50" MT/Rs and I got 15x8 black rockcrawler wheels from 4 wheel parts. The wheels and tires arrived within a couple days of eachother. Currently all I am waiting for is my lift to get here.

So on to my story....

I have the wheels sitting in my room and the tires sitting in my garage. I want to call around to get them mounted and balanced but I only have 3 choices in my town, the choices are Bruneel Tire, Les Schwab, and Martin's auto service center. Now I will give some background on each store.

I got my MT/Rs that are on the ZJ right now at martins. I over paid and I was a huge ******* for buying them there. One time when taking my ZJ in to get the tires rotated, they did a neutral slam (into reverse) right in front of my eyes and did a pretty good burnout that a drag racer would have been proud of. After yelling at them I decided to never take my Jeep there ever again.

My next option is Bruneel Tire, these guys put on my exhaust and while they did an above average job with that the people who work here are very VERY shady. So I wanted to stay away from them as much as possible as I don't really trust there work.

So I call Les Schwab. For those of you that don't know, Les Schwab is kind of a tire "supermarket" where maybe 80% of the people around the northwest get their tires. They have nice people who work there and have to be clean shaven etc.

So I call Les Schwab (Since Ihave a friend who works there) and ask them for a quote on mounting and balancing wheels and tires. Well I call and the guy I talk to this girl and ask her how much mounting and balancing is. She tells me $15 a tire. So I say okay and how much are lug nuts, and she says I don't know bu I will transfer you to someone who does. So she transfers me to this idiot named Chris, I've talked to Chris before in real life and he is about as smart as a tunafish sandwitch. So he quotes me $1.75 a lug nut and then tells me that mounting and balancing would be $17 a tire. So I ask him if he will match Bruneel's price of $12 they gave me a few days earlier. He says "well maybe if you baught the wheels and tires from us we could work with you!" So I tell him he just lost my business and rudely hung up. So I call my friend who works there, we will call him Vance, he tells me okay just sit tight and I will talk to the guys when I go to work and see what I can do. So "vance" calls me back and tells me he talked to the guys, and he can do $13 a tire mounted and balanced, $12 for the valve stem caps, and $1.25 a lug nut. So I agree because this is a lot better of a deal than what the other guy quoted me.

I packed up the Jeep and took it to Les Schwab where I talked to a guy named Kevin, now Kevin is the guy "Vance" talked to for me. So KEvin confirms the price after everything to be about $95. So I say that that is perfect and go wait. Well after 15 minutes my friend "vance" comes out and tells me since that one other moron Chris quoted me $17 or whatever for mounting and balancing, I would have to pay that. I said fine whatever since I didnt want to waste any more time on this and I told "vance" to go tell Chris (who wasnt even man enough to tell me himself) that I dont appreciate the fact that the prices have changed 3 times so far.

So they continue to put on my wheels, and then my friend "vance" comes out and says "hey they want to know how much you payed for your tires, so I did quick calculations on my cell phone and told them $156.50 a tire shipped to my door. So this other guy who probably flunked elementary school comes out and starts doing calculations to see if they could have "beat" that price. Well he asks how much I payed for my wheels. So I told him "$217 shipped to my door". And he goes, "$217?!?! What is so special about those wheels? I could have gotten them for you for $50 a wheel". So I look at him like he is the biggest idiot I know and say "What is $50 x 4?" So he goes "$200". So then I asked him if I had to pay tax and shipping and he told me "well somebody has to pay it". So obviously it would be more to purchase through them. So then this guy gets me a quote on just tires without shipping and without tax, the quote is $857. So now the total from Les Schwab without tax or freight is $1057. And lug nuts are going to be $35 on top of that. So now the total is $1092 without freight and without tax, calculate 6% tax in there and it comes out to $1157.52 without fright added in. So after this moron tries to explain to me that I didnt save anything buying through the internet, I think about asking him if you need to graduate elementary school to work there, but I decided since Im younger I'll just leave it a lone. So after that guy leaves the guy I talked to on the phone Chris comes and was like "has anyone gotten your transaction yet?" So I say no. so he does the transaction and it comes out to $118, more than the $95 or so I was quoted 40 minutes earlier. So I just say whatever and pay it.

So I pack up my #2 and get out of there so I could drive here and write you guys this. The whole time I was treated rudely, I had to deal with 5 different people just to get 4 tires mounted and balanced, and I had to give a bunch of f*cktards $120.

So to add it up just to show you I still saved way more money than going through them, here it is:

Tires shipped = $635
Wheels shipped = $217
Getting bent over at Les Schwab = $120

Add that up and you get $972. Subtract that from 1157.52 and you get $185.52, and I would have saved a lot more than that because that is still not counting freight they would have charged me on.

So in conclusion/cliff notes:

- I got jacked by getting my tires mounted and balanced at Les Schwab

-You apparently don't even need to graduate from elementary school to
work there

-I was treated unprofessionaly by a business that is known for "good service" (hah!)

-and I will NEVER EVER do business with Les Schwab again as long as I live!!

Thanks a lot to all of you who read the whole thing. I really appreciate it, I hope I didn't leave anything out.

Milan

Milan
MilanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2003, 05:09 PM   #2
Stocker

Sad story indeed. Out of three tire shops in your area, you now can't (won't) deal with any of them. Maybe if you had gone to Schwab first (after getting internet price) and told 'em this is what I can get, can you match it? At least they would know up front what you're after, and they would (hopefully) appreciate that you gave them a crack at it. And you'd want to deal only with the manager from the start to avoid some of the problems you had. About your only other choice is to buy tires & wheels from the same place, mounted & balanced, although that may not always be an option if you want a particular item. Good luck with your future deals, wherever they are.
Unread 07-31-2003, 06:23 PM   #3
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Milan,

I read it twice.

Wow,

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2003, 10:57 AM   #4
automan25

So I guess you'll be driving to Pullman, WA now to get your tire work done?

It sounds like the folks at your local Les Schwab have some problems. This is by and large the exception to the Les Schwab company. I would say that this calls for a professionally written letter to corporate headquarters. As you mentioned in the beginning of your post, Les Schwab generally has a great reputation, and I'm sure that their headquarters would like to be informed of any potential damage to that reputation.

I for one have always received fantastic service at Les Schwab. I've gone in there for flat repairs and tire rotation on many occasions in several different stores and they always did the work with a smile and for free, even when I didn't buy my tires there. I've never seen a lazy or belligerent employee at Les Schwab.

It is true that for many items Les Schwab tends to be slightly higher priced. This is hardly a concern though as they sell a quality product with quality service. If there was ever a problem with a product that I purchased at one of their stores, they'd go out of their way to fix it. It's rare that any store, particularly a large chain such as Les Schwab, will have the level of service and experience that most Les Schwab stores have. This is something that should be admired and copied by all the other chains out there, no matter what product they sell.

I am not affiliated with or employed by the Les Schwab Company. The opinions expressed here are solely my own, and are only the result of my personal experience with Les Schwab. I have done business with Les Schwab stores in Medford, OR, Kenmore, WA, Ashland, OR, and Nampa, ID.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.