Why the %#^%&* did they do that? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By nicyousuckk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
robrtsmtn
1993 ZJ 

Why the %#^%&* did they do that?

I'm hopeful to start just a fun thread. I had the experience lately of having to re-drill a track bar bolt as the PO decided to use the OEM bolt, which was too small when installing a new aftermarket trackbar, so serious wobble ensued. So, please let me know what was the dumbest thing you discovered a PO had done which you discovered and had to correct.

1993 ZJ 5.2 V8, 3.5 IRO lift, black steel rims 31/10.50 MTs. Aussie locker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 06:53 PM
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
If you think that's dumb, you don't understand how bolts work. Properly torqued, the OEM trackbar bolt is more than capable of hold an aftermarket trackbar with a larger ID bushing.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
robrtsmtn
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
If you think that's dumb, you don't understand how bolts work. Properly torqued, the OEM trackbar bolt is more than capable of hold an aftermarket trackbar with a larger ID bushing.
Wow, that's the last thing I wanted to do, was a discussion regarding what I had happen, or how I dealt with it. if this is going to turn into a armchair quarter back thread of what I had done, I'll definitely agree I was wrong and close the thread.

1993 ZJ 5.2 V8, 3.5 IRO lift, black steel rims 31/10.50 MTs. Aussie locker.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 08:51 PM
nicyousuckk
1998 ZJ 

Most of the PO nonsensery I've come across has been really crappy electrical work. This current ZJ I've got had about six chopped and dangling wires underneath the dash, and I counted at least a dozen vampire-style wire taps. When I finally bit the bullet this month and replaced the leaking evaporator core, I spent an entire day fixing the wiring harnesses behind the dash. Strange thing was... everything on the jeep worked. Still can't figure that one out.
Kristian_Burns and Junior1210 like this.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
No, it will not hold it.

If the bolt would hold an aftermarket trackbar with a larger ID in the bushing, you could just as well say it doesn't matter that the trackbar bracket hole on the axle is ovalized, the bolt will hold the trackbar in place - which it does not.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #6 of 11 Old 09-26-2017, 03:01 PM
SDJeremy
1994 ZJ 

Garage
My Jeep came from the PO with a parasitic power drain. The PO narrowed it down to one of the circuits in the fuse box under the hood. So they removed the fuse and pushed a couple wires into the fuse contacts and ran the wire to a switch under the dash. Now when I park, I switch it off to keep the battery from draining. I haven't had the chance to look into it myself, but the Jeep still has a hard time starting if left parked for more than a couple day, even with switching off the supposed parasitic circuit.

Previous: 1995 Jeep GC

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
5.2L V8
post #7 of 11 Old 09-26-2017, 04:08 PM
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Under the dash of my 96 were the wiring to two separate alarms and two separate cd changers. In the back was a cd changer that wasn't hooked up to any wiring. It was installed with drywall screws however. The fuse box also had a hand full of jumper wires. I'm not certain where they all went but I have a suspicion that they had something to do with popping fuses. After removing all the wiring and jumper wires there wasn't any issues with the electrical system. I was a bit confused.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 07:07 AM
BorderWalker
1995 ZJ 

Garage
When I bought the Jeep, someone had stuffed a 235/75/r15 tire on the rear driver's side. The other 3 were 225/75/r15. It had a 249 transfer case.

._________.ooooo.
/»»»|»»|»»\»»»»»\,____
L/»»\\__|__|"/»»»\=llllll=\
_(»))===)).....(»))===))»
post #9 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 09:07 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

My favorite from the niner was the lamp cord in the alternator positive wire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 10:47 AM
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

some really WTF home-made "tow hooks"
post #11 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 12:12 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Nope. So much force is applied side to side that it will move no matter how you tighten it down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.