why all these crazy high lifts without covering the basics first? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > why all these crazy high lifts without covering the basics first?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Reply
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #16
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler
 
Timo_90xj's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Posts: 4,986
I don't see one single reason to lift a Jeep higher than around 4". Long- arms with WB stretch, cut the sheetmetal as much as required, patch the holes and run 35s or 37s. I'd do that if a Jeep like was street-legal where I live. However, the maximum size I can run is 32s without the cops taking my plates off and giving a ticket, so that's what i run with 1.75" BB.

I guess the biggests reasons for high lifts + large tires combos are that people want bolt-on parts and they want the look of a high Jeep with big tires. A lower Jeep with wider track, proper belly protection, cut up fenders, large tires and lockers would be a lot more cabable rig in all but swamps/ mudpits though. Can be built cleanly too, but requires quite a lot of fabbing..

__________________
1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/


1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 04:04 AM   #17
Pawjob
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Longview, Washington
Posts: 339
My ZJ is 7in lift long arm front/rear with 35's. Soon Ill be taking my 37's off my YJ and putting them on the ZJ. My ZJ will NEVER see off road its a pavement pounder. I does have a built HP D30/D44 with 4.88's. No winch, no heavy steel bumpers. But why go through all the time and money building it? Cause its my.money I worked for it and I don't like driving stock rigs.
__________________
1994 Grand Cherokee Daily Driver
7" IRO Long arm, 35" Cooper Discrover STT. And more

1993 Wrangler, Rock Smashing Jeep, and November 2012 YJOTM... [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rockcrawling-yj-build-1428039/"]YJ Build[/URL]
1.5" SOA, Stak 3 speed Tcase, 37" Swamper M16's...ALOTS of extras
Pawjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #18
Technohead
Old School
 
Technohead's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Exeter, RI
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by iser View Post
why would anyone lift it when they don't plan it to take it offroading? it kills daily-driveability. also, i meant "basic" as in basics of building a rig, not necessarily just suspension mods.
Posers. The most BASIC modifications you can make to any offroad rig are, in order:

1.) Lockers
2.) Skid plates

Give me these on an otherwise stock ZJ and I will make it much further down the trail than any open rig that's lifted with 33's+
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #19
Pawjob
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Longview, Washington
Posts: 339
That's me I'm one of those posers. I love the look of my zj. Driveablity? I live 2 miles round trip from work and everything I need in town.is with in 5 miles. My zj is more then capable wheeler, but my YJ is my wheeler. Where I go wheeling 31's and lockers will get u no where. 35's lockers and your still spending time winching.
__________________
1994 Grand Cherokee Daily Driver
7" IRO Long arm, 35" Cooper Discrover STT. And more

1993 Wrangler, Rock Smashing Jeep, and November 2012 YJOTM... [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rockcrawling-yj-build-1428039/"]YJ Build[/URL]
1.5" SOA, Stak 3 speed Tcase, 37" Swamper M16's...ALOTS of extras
Pawjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #20
L_Kilkenny
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: , Iowa
Posts: 107
This is not a new debate and it's not limited to Jeeps. Doesn't matter whether it's guns, cars, houses or women. Some want stuff that works, some want stuff that looks good (or that they think makes them look good), some want stuff that fills both roles. Top that off with the fact that not all wheeling is created equal. Some are built for rocks, some are built for mud, some are built for DD, some are built to explore. Some wheel every weekend, some a couple times a year, some on there own more times than not, some with other most of the time.

To be honest much changes as you get older. I'm not saying there aren't old guys that do worthless builds (and stupid things with them) or young guys that do great builds but in many cases priorities change as you get older. There is so much in life that I thought was cool when I was 20 that I have no time for at 45. Heck, anymore give me good tires and decent recovery equipment as the basics.

Dance with who brung ya...... (but it doesn't mean I'm not gonna point and laugh at stupid people and things)

Last edited by L_Kilkenny; 06-03-2013 at 08:27 AM..
L_Kilkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #21
zRoxxah
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 166
because MALL CRAWLER!
__________________
Matte Black '96 ZJ 4.0
IRO 3.5" Benchmark Lift, Bilstein 5100's, 31x10.5x15 Westlake SL369 A/T's, Moog Super Trail Boss SS, KOR Rad Support, Chopped-up Front Bumper
zRoxxah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #22
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler
 
JohnnyZJ's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,068
lots of folks that want the 'look' of a liftted jeep. i think its fine. same deal with trucks, and 'rig rockets' as we call em up here in Alberta.
whatever floats your boat i guess.

i wouldn't want to daily drive anything that is that tall or ugly or bad on fuel, and that has parts that wear out 3x as fast due to lifts, but hey i drive a lot and use my vehicle to get to work; thats why i have toys for the weekend and stuff. some people are cool with it, so let em.

i'd still rather see a princess rig running a claytons 7" kit and 35s on 20" rims than the idiot thats trying to wheel his 500$ deathtrap with a fatbobs puck lift and bald 32s that rub and has a chain rapped around the front bumper as a tow point.

i'd take the street queen anyday (and anywhere offroad lol. or try)
__________________
92 YJ ~ back at it

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #23
speedbucket
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,412
Although I think they're stupid, the fact that they're 100% bolt on stuff and the owners generally don't have a clue mechanically, it means business for guys like Clayton's, iron rock, etc... it also generates money for local off road shops. The industry NEEDS mall crawlers to keep it going. If everybody built they're own rigs completely none of those companies would be around.
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/speedbuckets-zj-build-1361322/
V8 zj at 6" . Double tri rear and true 3 link front. Stretched to 108"
speedbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
eagsc7
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sweetwater Cyt, WY
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
I don't see one single reason to lift a Jeep higher than around 4". Long- arms with WB stretch, cut the sheetmetal as much as required, patch the holes and run 35s or 37s. I'd do that if a Jeep like was street-legal where I live. However, the maximum size I can run is 32s without the cops taking my plates off and giving a ticket, so that's what i run with 1.75" BB.
Where is that, and is there somewhere that we can look the law up? I knew there were stupid politicians, but a cop that'll actually enforce "dumb dumb"laws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Posers. The most BASIC modifications you can make to any offroad rig are, in order:

1.) Lockers
2.) Skid plates

Give me these on an otherwise stock ZJ and I will make it much further down the trail than any open rig that's lifted with 33's+
Sounds like a challenge coming. I've got a Stock ZJ currently. You wanna pay for my lockers and Skid Plates? There's a lifted ZJ out here that'll EASIALLY make it further than me just due to lift. Course, when the engine gets flooded, YOU GET THE BILL!


Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny View Post
To be honest much changes as you get older. I'm not saying there aren't old guys that do worthless builds (and stupid things with them) or young guys that do great builds but in many cases priorities change as you get older. There is so much in life that I thought was cool when I was 20 that I have no time for at 45. Heck, anymore give me good tires and decent recovery equipment as the basics.
"Words from the Wise!" Just cause you say it doesn't mean that he's wise enough to listen...
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #25
Roskoe
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Posers. The most BASIC modifications you can make to any offroad rig are, in order:

1.) Lockers
2.) Skid plates

Give me these on an otherwise stock ZJ and I will make it much further down the trail than any open rig that's lifted with 33's+
True statement , I run 3.5 with 31's and pretty much can go were most bigger rigs go , Plus I dont like being up to high , rolls easier
__________________
"aut viam inveniam aut faciam"

I hate when old people poke me at weddings, point and whisper, "You're next." So I've started doing the same thing to them at funerals
Roskoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #26
Technohead
Old School
 
Technohead's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Exeter, RI
Posts: 6,360
Driving through water is not wheeling. Its retarded.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #27
eagsc7
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sweetwater Cyt, WY
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
Although I think they're stupid, the fact that they're 100% bolt on stuff ...for guys like Clayton's...

If everybody built they're own rigs completely none of those companies would be around.
I know I'm piece mailing your comment, but Claytons 7" kit is NOT BOLT ON. Least according to their site.

As for IRO, it si Bolt On, and can be welded as well. I'll be Bolting and weldinf with IRO for that reason.
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #28
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master
 
Texas ZJ1's Avatar
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 20,072
I'd like to see half of these guys go to grand slam west... pieces and parts and no money to fix them spewed all over the trails.
__________________
00 4.7 Laredo...stock

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/
602.841.3355

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
480.998.3661
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #29
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler
 
WhiteOut's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagsc7 View Post
I know I'm piece mailing your comment, but Claytons 7" kit is NOT BOLT ON. Least according to their site.

As for IRO, it si Bolt On, and can be welded as well. I'll be Bolting and weldinf with IRO for that reason.
That's not what bolt on means. He was making a comparison between someone who buys an off the shelf kit and someone who buys a stack of DOM and some joints.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #30
DeafJeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Emporium, PA
Posts: 294
When I get a Jeep. It will be done the right way if I want any modifications done for serious off-roading.

Realistically up here in Pennsylvania , there is always snow so would want my Jeep to sit a little higher.

I would have to study what would make sense for the Jeep when cross that bridge. Don't have a Jeep right now.

Everything that goes on my Jeep would be for a very good reason.
DeafJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.