why all these crazy high lifts without covering the basics first? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > why all these crazy high lifts without covering the basics first?

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 06-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
iser
1997 ZJ 

why all these crazy high lifts without covering the basics first?

i don't understand people with 6"+ lifts with 35"+ tires without having their basics covered first. i would bet that 2" bb + 31" with a winch and a locker would be hell of a lot more practical than a bare rig with big tires. i know my 4"+33" combo with a winch has outperformed practically every vehicle i've gone out riding with so far. and majority of the times, i know i wouldn't even had to use my winch if i had a locker (god i can't wait until i get a locker. just can't afford an on-demand locker at the moment and i'm not gonna use a fulltime locker on my dd).

i was just looking at the lifted pics thread and noticed how many people have all these big tires without taking care of the basics first.

any thoughts on why people do this? just trying to show off at the mall?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/isers-build-thread-1401938/"][B]MY BUILD THREAD LINK[/B] - [I]Updated on THU 23MAY2013[/I][/URL]

[B]Specs[/B]- 97 ZJ 5.2L - 4" Zone Lift - 285/75R16 Cooper STT
[B]Upcoming Projects[/B]- Front Axle Swap. On the look out for HP30.

[B][I]"lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way"[/I][/B]
- gen. george patton
iser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Kids buy zj
Look at jeepforum and droll over the big boy rigs
Asks dad for money (denied)
buys friends set of 35's and stacks spacers to fit them
Profit?
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Not everyone with a lifted vehicle offroads? I also wouldn't call a winch or locker a "basic" of modifying suspensions.

WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
sandman92k
1998 ZJ 

Here in cali 35 are important for most trails I run, especially after I air down, but I can stuff my 35 in my fender wells only having to do some trimming and a 4" long arm
sandman92k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Not everyone with a lifted vehicle offroads? I also wouldn't call a winch or locker a "basic" of modifying suspensions.

why would anyone lift it when they don't plan it to take it offroading? it kills daily-driveability. also, i meant "basic" as in basics of building a rig, not necessarily just suspension mods.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/isers-build-thread-1401938/"][B]MY BUILD THREAD LINK[/B] - [I]Updated on THU 23MAY2013[/I][/URL]

[B]Specs[/B]- 97 ZJ 5.2L - 4" Zone Lift - 285/75R16 Cooper STT
[B]Upcoming Projects[/B]- Front Axle Swap. On the look out for HP30.

[B][I]"lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way"[/I][/B]
- gen. george patton
iser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Kreeper
1994 ZJ 

It's a fad for a lot of the youngsters,kind of like the diesels with 8" lifts and 7" stacks Rollin coal,impractical but fun while it lasts.i agree though most of us daily drive our rigs and ill be sticking with my 5.5 long arms on 33's.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Kreeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
adamysr

jack 'er up to 7inches and put some gumbo mudders on it !!! that seems to be what most want to do
adamysr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
CrzyMtnMan
1996 ZJ 

I have noticed around here the owners running older jeeps know their stuff, but can spot the asshats easily. My favorite is the wiped on mud, would love to be at their house once they wash it. Unused bumper jacks and unwired floodlights are another dead giveaway, have seen those too.
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

i too would not call a winch "basics"

i do not have a winch, have never owned a vehicle with one, and honestly have no immidiate plans for getting one. Never wheel alone. Been wheeling for years, and have yet to not make it back because we didn't have a winch.

a locker however, i agree with. If you wheel, and are serious about it, you NEED a locker on at least one axle.

but as mentioned before, there are many who want a lifted jeep for the look of it and never have, never will see more than maybe a muddy field. That being said, i see many street jeeps with heavy bumpers and winches that i would say the winch has never been spooled out for what it is meant for.

and a decent driver will take a rig a long way as well. i have seen what should be aless capable rig go where more capable ones could not simply because of the driver. whether it was by skill, or sometimes brute force, the "Driver Mod" goes a loooong way.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Is it OK then to put on a 7" Lift, Not have the money to put the tires on for a month or so, Have a new front bumper, but not the rear to go with it, cause i haven't decided on what I want. Of course, then I still need to decide what winch I want. All I know is that it'll mount to a hitch mount. The Front bumper already has the box.

Course, the thing I really wonder is Why would ANYONE put a 1 1/4" hitch on ANY SUV, or truck. It came on my sis's ZJ(that's now mine).
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I being a teenager see the appeal of taller trucks, gets the southern *****es at school. but for practicalities sake and for wheeling I'm doing a slower build up and trying to 'do it right'. We'll see how it turns out after the next lift.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
paintballwannab
1997 ZJ 

Doubtful, but maybe a few of them are actually being smart. Everyone on here says do it right the first time, go long arm off the bat saves money in the end over buying a cheap lift and upgrading later. Which is true.
That being said that's a lot of money, so winch and lockers are probably in the plans at some point.

I'm running 4" w/ 31" tires and go most everywhere I want too, yes lockers, bumpers, winch are in the plans but gotta distract the wife first.
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
and a decent driver will take a rig a long way as well. i have seen what should be aless capable rig go where more capable ones could not simply because of the driver. whether it was by skill, or sometimes brute force, the "Driver Mod" goes a loooong way.
Cue that youtube video of the guy going up the chute in Moab without a spotter. Open diff XJ on 33's and he climbs it like most of us would a curb...

[EDIT] This one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxVhIDduft8
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
jeepkid945
1993 ZJ 

Down here in the swamps 35's will get you a lot further than a winch and 31's will. My winch is a 30ft tug boat rope and a buggy on 62" s
jeepkid945 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #15
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Let me first qualify the following statement by letting it be known that my Jeep is ONLY for off-roading, it is NOT a DD. Its only a toy, and as such, it just needs to do what I want it to do. Ok, that said, I don't think its any of my business why anyone wants to lift their Jeep, whether its for off-road duty or purely for the cool look. Its their money, its their Jeep, its their business. My only concern is for safety and that anyone performing these modifications does it in such a manner that it doesn't endanger their lives, or worse, the lives of their passengers and others on the road. Wanna throw 7" and some 35's under it just to impress the ladies? Go for it. But do it safely.
ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.