White smoke from tailpipe on cold startup. also dripping water from cat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > White smoke from tailpipe on cold startup. also dripping water from cat

Flowmaster Discount Code! Thank you JeepForum Members!!!!!Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!

Unread 09-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

White smoke from tailpipe on cold startup. also dripping water from cat

I noticed today which is around 59f outside so its a little chilly, that when i cold started the Jeep it had white smoke coming out the tailpipe. It looks like the smoke that comes out of your breath when you breath in cold weather. I also noticed the cat converter dripping a lot of water.. I waited and watched it until it warmed up to normal temps and it did go away when it was warming it it slowely started to stop putting out the white smoke and stopped dripping.., and was completetly gone after the engine was around 150-200f. Cause this morning when it was like 50f i started the Jeep, drove like 20 feet and turned it off. Then i started it again like 5 hours later and thats when i noticed the white smoke.

Could this simply have just been condensation that built up from the cold night we had last night or something else ? I tried to smell the exhaust and i didnt smell any coolant or sweet smell.. i dont think anyway.. Im not sure exactly what its suppose to smell like, all i know is it smell more like exhaust.

Im just a little paranoid considering i've had a lot of coolant issues on the 5.9 in the recent past..

I also noticed that brand new electric fan i got at Pepboys... is starting to make noises now.... i dont understand this Jeep its like its cursed.. wish i had that receipt ... altho maybe they will have my name in the computer cause that is BS

Mine looked like this video, it wasnt SMOKE smoke so to say it just looked like this. Until it warmed up

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
awmiller
1995 ZJ 

white smoke is oil most of the time, your case doesnt sound like anything that bad, if it goes away when it warms up i wouldnt worry about it
awmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

could be oil but thats usually more grey/blue'ish depending on how much its burning. White on a cold startup is usually condensation from driving the night before, hot and humid exhaust gas cools down in the exhaust system and turns to water which sits inside the pipe till the next time you start the vehicle then it burns off in the form of white smoke.

Just to be sure you should keep a close eye on your coolant and oil levels for a few days to see if they drop, if they dont your good if they do you need to start looking at other things, i.e. bad head gasket, worn rings/valve seals/valve guides, cracked head etc etc
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

On the video after 1:30 or 1:40 just ignore the rest, as i forgot to turn the camera off and started talking to my friend about it.

There is a video i made today. I started the Jeep up at 6pm (first time today) and it is 63f outside... Sure enough white smoke or vapor was coming out of the tailpipe again.. water dripping from the cat and the tailpipe.. After it warmed up in like 2 minutes it all went away... I had a friend with me to smell the exhaust and he said it just smelt like co2, a strong smell (probably cause it was cold and burns rich when its cold)

I have another video on my youtube page called Just bought it 5.9 grand cherokee, and i made it in oct of last year and if you go to like 4:30 on it the tailpipe is smoking also. So i guess its been doing this since i got it.. im just not sure if this is normal for these engines when the temp is only 50-60f
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

My 5.9 does the same thing if its been sitting overnight, just water vapor in the exhaust, gets really bad when the temp drops real low, almost a cloud hovering behind the Jeep. I wouldnt stress it unless it smells like coolant and your having to top off the overflow tank or radiator constantly.
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

ok thanks
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
BlackDaddyZJ
1994 ZJ 

white smoke on startup is perfectly normal on any vehicle. it is caused by the combustion chamber being not up to normal operating temperature. blue smoke is oil. black is fuel.
the water dripping from the cat is absolutely normal as water is what the converter is used to create.
IRO 4.5" Lift
35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's

98 5.9
Restored and daily driven
BlackDaddyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Blue =oil
White = coolant or a lot of unburnt fuel
Black = running rich

Water and white smoke at start up is just condensation in the exhaust pipe. Water is a normal product of the combustion of hydrocarbons.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Ok well if ratmonkey thinks its nothing then im sold.. Thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.