White Smoke...Sometimes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > White Smoke...Sometimes?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 05-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
CanaanTSA5

1998 ZJ 

White Smoke...Sometimes?

Every once in a while within the last 2 months I get white smoke coming from my exhaust when I start up my Jeep. Out of the times it's done it (about 4), each has been a bit different in the amount (or density) of the smoke. The first times was the worst.

I know I burn coolant. It's not steady though. I check it every week, sometimes about 2 inches is gone, sometimes none. Doesn't seem to be time related to the exhaust smoke though..

It doesn't run any differently when the smoke issue happens, it's a little choppy to begin with because she needs new mounts. The smoke usually goes away within 3 minutes.

Any ideas..?

Unread 05-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Could be the head gasket starting to fail, especially since you said you're losing coolant. Is the oil milky? Does your coolant reservoir bubble?

Could be a bad catalytic converter.

Could be condensation.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
CanaanTSA5

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
Could be the head gasket starting to fail, especially since you said you're losing coolant. Is the oil milky? Does your coolant reservoir bubble?

Could be a bad catalytic converter.

Could be condensation.
No milky oil. No bubbling. Once in a blue moon when I start it up I get an engine knock. But that's 1 every 400 times I start it. It does it about 7 times and then goes away. About 3 knocks per second. I figured just my POS PCM acting up like it loves to do.
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

My 4.0L has the "cold start" knock every time. People look at it like it's going to blow up, but it's done it for two and a half years. Goes away once it warms up. I assume it's piston slap or the transmission flex plate.

It's probably just condensation or old converter.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.