Whining/supercharger sound...except no supercharger! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Whining/supercharger sound...except no supercharger!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 10-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
BigMikeWJ
2002 WJ 

Whining/supercharger sound...except no supercharger!

I just bought a 2002 v8 WJ with quadradrive II, yesterday. I was super-pumped about the purchase however have a few questions. I drove the WJ about 1.5 hrs home from where I bought it. it sat outside for about 8 hrs and then drove it to later at night (first night its been around 40 degrees). As soon as I turned out of my parking space i hear a looooooong higher pitched whining noise as i accelerate! Also, accelerating while turning increases loudness of whine. As I stated in my title, it sounds like im winding up a supercharger as I accelerate...but w/o the supercharger! ha

WHAT COULD THIS BE?

Also, had an O2 sensor replaced, and the CEL is still on! it gets cleared, and then comes right back up 5 minutes later. what could thiiiiis be?

Thanks!

oh, i have 100k on the jeep.

MC

BigMikeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
SpencerC
1978 CJ7 

The wining is probably power steering, could be air in the system, could be the pump on its last leg. And sometimes ps pumps just always make that noise. Dont ask why, I couldnt tell you, but my camaro does and always has, cant hear it at idle put if your turning while on the gas its pretty loud. Ive put 2 different brand new pumps on it, they all do it, its just the design.
Unread 10-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
BigMikeWJ
2002 WJ 

I really hope it isnt my power steering pump goin out...How much do they usually run?
BigMikeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
ashxlen

Power Steering Pump on Jeep Cherokee

I just purchased an 02 jeep cherokee laredo and it sounds like its doing the same thing yours is with the really loud whining when turning and accelerating. It only seems to do it when its colder and I haven't driven it for about 8 to 10 hours. Once it warms up and the sun comes out it seems fine? My power steering fluid is full so I'm thinking it is the pump as well. The pump costs around $117 and then you have to factor in the labor

-Ashley
ashxlen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
EisBlade
1999 WJ 

You shouldn't have to incur any costs at this point, you just bought it. Stop by where you bought it from and bring it to their attention so they can replace it.
The largest forum on Facebook for Road King and larger touring models.

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.
EisBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
MiniTubbedNova
1996 ZJ 

could be the trans, mine does it in both my zj and nova. the nova whines all the time in first... the pump is on its way out caused by a smashed trans pan (wheelstands). the zj is due for trans service.

my advice is since you just bought it. change the trans fluid filter, do tune up, airfileter, oil change, transfer case fluid change, and both differantial fluids, that way you know where you stand when it comes to maintance for the vehicle.
IRO 4.5" - 33" MT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by -n8man1068
Jeeps don't get stuck. They just take a nap when they're tired of being awesome.
MiniTubbedNova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
BigMikeWJ
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EisBlade View Post
You shouldn't have to incur any costs at this point, you just bought it. Stop by where you bought it from and bring it to their attention so they can replace it.
bought it used...not too much I can do
Unread 10-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Did you get it from a dealership or a person?

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Any chance you have slotted discs on your brakes? They're known to make a whirring noise....maybe not so much like an SC but it's a noise...
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
jeepsus
2002 TJ Wrangler 

feed back from the speakers possibly?.. happened to me but it was in a pontiac sunfire. sounded like a whining super charger when i was accelerating. check it out
jeepsus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #11
BigMikeWJ
2002 WJ 

its at my mechanic right now...he is checking it out and will let yall know.

Also, it did only happen when it got really cold the first night I bought the jeep.
Unread 10-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
gbauer
1999 WJ 

Solution: Buy a supercharger to cover up the other whine.

Sounds like a win to me!
gbauer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
BigMikeWJ
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbauer View Post
Solution: Buy a supercharger to cover up the other whine.

Sounds like a win to me!
hhaha perfect plan...
Unread 10-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
mudweiser-z71
1995 ZJ 

i have a 1995 zj 4.0 that has started doing the same thing...
at idle it is a low hummm. when i excellerate it gets louder..
noticed it the last few days since it has gotten below 40 deg. here in sc....
mudweiser-z71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #15
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

if its coming from your engine it could with your belt (pray this is it). make sure its fine if not check your altenator. i've gotten mud and sand in the bearings of the altenator i couldn't figure it out till it died on me on the highway(not fun). once i replaced it whining gone. it goes up when you accelerate because your belt turns the alternator faster.
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.