Whining noise, dependent on wheel speed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Whining noise, dependent on wheel speed?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
jasonodle
2004 WJ 

Whining noise, dependent on wheel speed?

My 2004 Grand Cherokee has started to whine. From very low speeds all the way up to high speeds. It is dependent on wheel speed, not engine speed. It sounds like it is coming from the front of the vehicle.
Any suggestions on what to check for?

jasonodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

Can you be more specific? Does it change when accelerating vs coasting? Does it go away if you float the throttle while cruising?

Could be pinion noise...
Unread 02-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
jasonodle
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_Canuck View Post
Can you be more specific? Does it change when accelerating vs coasting? Does it go away if you float the throttle while cruising?

Could be pinion noise...
Yes, changes pitch when accelerating. Does go away when you float the throttle, it is wheel speed related, not engine speed.

Pinion noise?
jasonodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
limited_pit
1997 ZJ 

Front diff bearings
just did mine HAD! the same problem
limited_pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
electrician
2000 WJ 

i have the same prob with my 2000 zj quadradrive, i've been driving it for a month like this now and it hasn't got any worse. will it get worse??

i took it to a few mechanics they said its the diff. one told me he wants to replace the whole thing, is that a good idea? i'd rather keep it as original as i can as i don't trust a rebuilt diff, cuz it mite happen again soon...

the noise mine makes starts as 30 km/hr like yours and it whines and as i get up to about 60 km/hr, the whining sorta rattles, and as i let go of the gas and decrease in speed, the whining sounds like its winding down as opposed to how its winding up as i go past 30...maybe someone can diagnose from that if my case is cracked or its just something inside the case?
electrician is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.