Where's that noise comming from? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Where's that noise comming from?

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

Where's that noise comming from?

When I bought this WJ it had a rubbing noise somewhere in the front. It sounds like the passenger side wheel. It's not a constant noise, it increases in speed as the vehicle speed increases. I just changed the CV joints up front and had the wheel bearings off. They were smooth as silk, no noise. Yet I still get this strange noise. The weird thing is, it's more pronounced when coasting, almost nonexistent when on the throttle. It's not a bearing noise, more like a rubbing pulsing noise. On the highway it can be quite loud, under 30mph it's barely audible.

When I replaced the CV's I saw the caliper slide pins had rust on them, could the brakes be dragging on the rotor? I know my rotors are warped, and I have the Teves calipers. Could the brakes dragging make this noise? I do have to hold the steering wheel slightly to the left to keep it moving straight, I thought it just needed and alignment, but now it seems more likely that the passenger side pads are dragging. but it's weird how it doesn't make the noise as much when on the throttle.

I can get a camera tomorrow and try to record the noise on the highway. It's just hard to explain the noise. It's a pulsing rubbing type noise.

Unread 06-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

bent dust shield may be rubbing on rotor
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

There are no dust shields on it.
Unread 06-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

I'd say it's possible that a caliper is dragging. Can you tell any noticeable difference in pad wear? Any leaking brake fluid on that side or anything?
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

I'm looking through Napa's site and they have "Caliper hardware kits" The front kit appears to include two rubber slide pin boots, and two metal pieces. I have those metal pieces on my rear calipers but not my front. Are those supposed to be on my front Calipers? What do they do?

These are the metal pieces.

Unread 06-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

They help hold the brake pads in if I remember right, but I don't remember which calipers they are on (Teves or Akebono)
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
Quote:
Unread 06-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

When I took the front calipers off, the pads on that side just fell out. I thought that it was strange nothing holds the pad in, but figured it was just how it worked. If nothing is holding the pad will that cause it to rub on the rotor?
Unread 06-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
When I took the front calipers off, the pads on that side just fell out. I thought that it was strange nothing holds the pad in, but figured it was just how it worked. If nothing is holding the pad will that cause it to rub on the rotor?
Hmm, I know they are supposed to sit really close on the rotor and ideally they adjust themselves as the brake pads wear but if they are too loose in there then I'd say it could cause problems. I want to say they usually slide around a little though so I'm not positive on that
Quote:
Unread 06-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

Does anyone know for sure what those metal bar things do? Should I go buy them and install them?
Unread 06-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #10
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Does anyone know for sure what those metal bar things do? Should I go buy them and install them?

It's dark now but if you don't have an answer I'll try to remember to check tomorrow after class if I have them and remember what they do
Quote:
Unread 06-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #11
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

I found a thread on Jeepsunlimited,

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=732726

And I did go out and check my calipers and I have two holes where that bar should be. You won't have it because you have Akebono calipers.

I still don't know exactly what they do though. I guess I'll buy these and lube up the pins tomorrow to see if that helps with this rubbing noise I'm getting. I talked to kolak and he wants $260 for new Akebono calipers, hardware, and pads. It sounds like a pretty good deal, so I'll probably buy that kit when I have some cash.
Unread 06-16-2008, 06:00 AM   #12
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
You won't have it because you have Akebono calipers.
Sounds good, glad you found the answer. I did the brake job on my Jeep and my mom's 02 WJ (which had Teve's) at the same time so I couldn't remember which one of us had the stupid clips :

If that kit isn't too expensive it may be worth it anyway, I know those slide pin boots get brittle over time
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.