Where to run AUX wires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Where to run AUX wires?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-29-2009, 02:10 AM   #1
J_Minnesota

Where to run AUX wires?

I got a decent deal on a AUX input adapter for my stock radio, and I have the RCA cables, but since this adapter mounts behind the radio, I am not sure where to run the cables into the cab. What have you guys done/where have you run the wires to plug in MP3 players etc?

This is the adapter I am using if anyone is curious-

Unread 11-29-2009, 04:18 AM   #2
rlavoie910
2004 WJ 

Im not 100% on this, but most of those adapters plug into the cables for a cd changer, so providing that it is the proper adapter for a jeep you would just plug it in instead of a cd changer.

Someone please correct me if i am wrong.
Unread 11-29-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looking at the picture, there are RCA inputs for the adapter. You would plug in a 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA cable and be able to plug in an iPod and such.

I ran mine down the center of the dash, under the tiny bit of carpet between the dash and center console, then under the console to below the e-brake handle. You could also drill a small hole in the center console storage area and run it in there.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
tsconver
2003 WJ 

i ran my ipod wires to the center console.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
J_Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Looking at the picture, there are RCA inputs for the adapter. You would plug in a 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA cable and be able to plug in an iPod and such.

I ran mine down the center of the dash, under the tiny bit of carpet between the dash and center console, then under the console to below the e-brake handle. You could also drill a small hole in the center console storage area and run it in there.
This is more of what I was looking for. I am familiar with how to plug it in and where it plugs into the CD player slot on the back of the radio, I just am not sure where a convenient place to have the plug-in for the mp3 player would be.

Is there a lot of room behind the radio to run the RCA wires? I was thinking it would be nice to have the wires come out below the heat/AC controls, where theres a little shelf that is bordered on both sides by black plastic. I dont know if this is possible, or if it is hollow behind there, and would like to avoid taking my dash apart to find out.
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Where did you find that adaptor. I want one.

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
J_Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitnail View Post
Where did you find that adaptor. I want one.
I went to soundgate.com to find the adaptor that would work for my '04, then I googled the model # to find the site that had it for the least expensive with shipping. Got it for $39.99+ $10 shipping at electotronics.com.

You might need a different model for your year of Jeep, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. I was surprised how many e-tailers had mine in stock. Sometimes I'm leery about buying stuff online from sites that I haven't heard of, so I made sure that the one I ordered from offered Paypal to checkout with. Paypal has been good to me, and is good about disputes if something goes wrong.
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
J_Minnesota

Probably should double check this, but I think you would need the AUXCRDIN model.
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

I bought a jack that went from the RCAs to a 3.5mm female wall mount. I then drilled a hole in the little plastic piece below the radio and mounted the jack there. Then I just got a short double male 3.5mm cord and run that to my sirius or ipod. I'll go snap a picture.

EDIT: Here are a few pics and the parts I used.

RCA to 3.5mm wall jack

3.5mm stereo cable

And pics...

Good lord is my Jeep filthy. Deer season puts a hurting on my interior.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
J_Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirefightinWJ View Post
I bought a jack that went from the RCAs to a 3.5mm female wall mount. I then drilled a hole in the little plastic piece below the radio and mounted the jack there. Then I just got a short double male 3.5mm cord and run that to my sirius or ipod. I'll go snap a picture.

EDIT: Here are a few pics and the parts I used.
This is the exact process I was considering before I thought about running cords all the way into the cab. I really wanted to put that female panel mount 3.5mm jack exactly where you put yours. Was it difficult to get behind where you put the jack? How did you run the wire to there from the adapter/back of radio?
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Minnesota View Post
This is the exact process I was considering before I thought about running cords all the way into the cab. I really wanted to put that female panel mount 3.5mm jack exactly where you put yours. Was it difficult to get behind where you put the jack? How did you run the wire to there from the adapter/back of radio?
Although I don't remember exactly, I do know there is a clear path to run the wire from the back of the radio down to that location. I didn't have much of a problem doing it. I don't think I had more than a half hour or hour in the whole process. I'm pretty sure there are detailed instruction on wjjeeps.com on how to pull everything apart.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #12
J_Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirefightinWJ View Post
Although I don't remember exactly, I do know there is a clear path to run the wire from the back of the radio down to that location. I didn't have much of a problem doing it. I don't think I had more than a half hour or hour in the whole process. I'm pretty sure there are detailed instruction on wjjeeps.com on how to pull everything apart.
Perfect. Thanks for posting pics. One last question, were you able to find that panel mount Female 3.5mm to RCA cable anywhere else for less than the $29.99 that site has it listed for? I remember doing a quick web search and not finding one, but didn't look too hard.
Unread 11-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #13
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just noticed you have a WJ -- Theres plenty of room behind the dash in the ZJ for running wires, so I'm not sure about the Dub.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #14
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Minnesota View Post
Perfect. Thanks for posting pics. One last question, were you able to find that panel mount Female 3.5mm to RCA cable anywhere else for less than the $29.99 that site has it listed for? I remember doing a quick web search and not finding one, but didn't look too hard.
I looked on the web and only found it from data pro. You Definitely don't need the 10' one which is 29.99. I'm pretty sure I got the 6', but I'd think the 3' would probably fit too, but for $2 difference I just went with the 6'
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #15
Madmike4790
2002 WJ 

There is plenty of room next to the vents to run wires down cleanly. Also, the whole lower portion of the console just comes out to make putting the female jack in easier.
Madmike4790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.