Where is the Intermittent Wiper Control Module? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Where is the Intermittent Wiper Control Module?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 01-09-2005, 04:59 PM   #1
tthomas436

Where is the Intermittent Wiper Control Module?

Can somebody please tell me where to find the Intermittent Wiper Control module on a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo?

I have looked behind the plastic kick plate to the left of where the driver's left foot rest is, and found nothing. I looked behind the fuse box cover and the kick plate under the passenger's side, and I also couldn't find anything resembling a circuit board with two gray connectors velcroed to the side walls.

What I did find under the dash below the steering wheel is a black plastic cover with a lot of wire harnesses and connectors above it.

If somebody could point me to the correct location for the wiper control module, I'd be in their debt.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee suffers from no delay cycle windshield wiper action, but low speed and high speed wipers work. When I shut off the wipers, they stop dead where they are in the middle of the windshield and do not drop down. From reading several threads this Forum, it seems the problem can be fixed by soldering a jumper wire across a burned out contact on the Intermittent Wiper Control Module circuit board, but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Thanks for your help,

Tom Thomas
Bakersfield, CA

tthomas436 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2005, 05:43 PM   #2
bnhcooper

Per the '97 FSM that I have, the intermittent wiper function is controlled by the BCM. There is an Intermittent Wiper Relay in the PDC under the hood. Pop the cover off, and there wil be a diagram showing you which one it is. Test it -- that may be your whole problem and a cheap fix to get the intermittent function back. There's also a way to test the circutry of the system. Let me know if you want it, and I'll just email you the part out of the manual.
Unread 01-09-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

The intermittant control module you are looking for can only be found in "old" Grand Cherokees....
Unread 01-09-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
bnhcooper

Hey now, is that a crack at me? Just what constitutes old?
Unread 01-09-2005, 11:38 PM   #5
tthomas436

You talk about "old" Grand Cherokees...well what I own is a 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo with a V8. I guess I need to ask if that particular model is old enough to have the circuit board, or if it uses the BCM for the delay cycle wipers.

I sure hope somebody can help me find the Intermittent Wiper Control Module soon because it is raining like heck out here in California and it annoys me no end to not have slow cycle wipers when I need them!

Thanks again,

Tom Thomas
tthomas436 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2005, 12:02 AM   #6
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

I am with you there with that problem tthomas436....except I live in Seattle where it rains (mists) 24-7. I am going off of what wvd staated to mee about the same problem that I am having. Look under the hood and open up the PDC (black box thingy) and check the relay for your wipers. I took mine to a shop and they said that was the problem. The only problem is that it is a stealership item only and I have to wait till tomorrow to fix. For 34$ I would rather go with a relay then look for some fantom box near my left foot. Maybe in 97 they made a box there but not my 96. Hope that helps. Listen to WVD...he knows his shi*.
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2005, 01:36 AM   #7
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

Hey there; one more thing...the easiest way to figure out if it is the relay....pull the one in front of it out (starter) and replace it where the wiper one was. I just tried it to verify and sure enough I had wipers that worked intermittently again. Yahoo. Hope this helps you out.
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2005, 06:49 AM   #8
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomas436
You talk about "old" Grand Cherokees...well what I own is a 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo with a V8. I guess I need to ask if that particular model is old enough to have the circuit board, or if it uses the BCM for the delay cycle wipers.

I sure hope somebody can help me find the Intermittent Wiper Control Module soon because it is raining like heck out here in California and it annoys me no end to not have slow cycle wipers when I need them!

Thanks again,

Tom Thomas

Tom,
You were quite clear with your original post what year and model Grand you have, Coop answered your question insofar as letting you know that you don't have said module. I went a step further by letting you know the module is only found in Grands older than 96, hence the "old Grand Cherokees" crack aimed at Coop with his 94...
HTH
Unread 01-10-2005, 07:21 AM   #9
bnhcooper

Tom, you've got mail. It will tell you how to diagnose the system, and check that relay. Either your relay has gone bad again, and you need to hunt down the reason why (bad switch, bad motor) or that portion of the BCM is bad, and I believe the only fix would be replacing the whole thing.

And sure, mines old, and almost a member of the 200K club, but at least it's the right color, paid off, and stilll fun to drive. I'll breath new life into someday.
Unread 01-10-2005, 07:38 AM   #10
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Somehow, the humor of somebody with a 9 year old vehicle telling somebody with an 11 year old vehicle he has an old vehicle seems to have been lost...

This explains why I've never been invited to appear on Comic Relief...
Unread 01-10-2005, 08:23 AM   #11
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnhcooper
And sure, mines old, and almost a member of the 200K club, but at least it's the right color, paid off, and stilll fun to drive. I'll breath new life into someday.
Your GC is too old to be safely driven. You should probably donate it to me for spare parts. I am waiting for mine to develop a hole in the muffle, so that it will sound as bad a_s as Warrens

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2005, 08:24 AM   #12
bnhcooper

My wife just followed me to the tranny shop and informed me I have a hole in my exhaust. All the condensation was coming from somewhere amidship. I wonder if that's the strange vibration type noise at 65 that they will be looking for today (among other things).
Unread 01-10-2005, 09:10 AM   #13
jeepholic

Rain-X
Rain-X
Rain-X

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2005, 09:33 AM   #14
jabinga

I also have a '96 XJ. the easiest way to tell if you have the timer module or a BCM is if you have a digital odometer. Digital=BCM....Chronograph=timer module. You can try the relay in the PCM.....it didn't work for me. BCM is avail only from Chrysler and cost about $300 and it controls a whole heck of alot more than just wipers......Interior lights, Seat heaters, Mirror heat, Odometer, Mileage and VIN verification to ECM, Anti-Lock braking, Graphic EG.....and so on and so on.
jabinga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2005, 09:41 AM   #15
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnhcooper
My wife just followed me to the tranny shop and informed me I have a hole in my exhaust. All the condensation was coming from somewhere amidship. I wonder if that's the strange vibration type noise at 65 that they will be looking for today (among other things).
This is normal for all mufflers. They have a drain hole in them. That the when you shutdown the engine the condensed water does not sit inside and rust the muffle out.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.