Where the heck is the rear gate light switch??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Where the heck is the rear gate light switch???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 12-11-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Where the heck is the rear gate light switch???

1993 GC, where is the interior light switch located for the rear liftgate? I'm assuming its in the latch mechanism because I can't find a pin switch or a contact switch anywhere. I ask because I've been having an issue with the interior lights flickering while I drive the Jeep, and none of the doors or causing the problem. When I lift ever-so-slightly on the rear gate, the light will come on. I noticed both bolts that hold the rear latch in place were missing and the latch was just kinda slopping around in there, so I put in new bolts. (one hole was stripped so I had to finesse a nut on the backside). I haven't driven the Jeep yet so I don't know if it fixed the issue, but at least the light doesn't come on as easily.

ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
needspeed
1998 ZJ 

I'd like too know too, the lights won't come on when I open the rear gate.
needspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
88chero
1996 ZJ 

I think it is a button on the light fixture itself? you push in on the lighted [lens] part

I had a 93, but it was 4 years ago so I could be wrong !!
Basic Stock everything....for now!!
88chero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
Sarjam
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88chero View Post
I think it is a button on the light fixture itself? you push in on the lighted [lens] part

You are correct sir !
Unread 12-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
BlackDaddyZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88chero View Post

thats correct, the lens itself is the switch, open the gate and push the lens on and off to your liking
IRO 4.5" Lift
35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's

98 5.9
Restored and daily driven
BlackDaddyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Ummm, well ok, but you're only half right. Yes, there is a light on the roof just inside the rear hatch area that can be turned on and off by pressing on the light lense itself. BUT, the light will also come on when the rear lift gate is opened and will shut off when the gate is closed, so there must be a switch on the lift gate or in the latch mechanism as well.
Unread 12-12-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
88chero
1996 ZJ 

IIRC....Open the hatch and turn the light on by pushing in on the lens. When you close the hatch it should go off.

If it does not do this you have another issue.
Basic Stock everything....for now!!
88chero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Ok, one more time......

Yes, I understand the light can be manually switched on and off by pressing the lense switch, but that is not my question. On my Jeep, a 1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo, the interior lights will come on when the rear hatch is opened and will shut off when the rear hatch is closed-- there is no NEED to press the lense switch, unless you want to override the light. However, even if you have manually turned the light off, once the vehicle is started it resets the switch. So my question is, is there a switch in the latch mechanism that turns the light on and off when the gate is opened/closed? Seems there must be because I cannot find a switch anywhere in the door jambs or door sill.
Unread 12-14-2010, 06:22 AM   #9
needspeed
1998 ZJ 

Your best bet would be to take the rear hatch cover off and see what you can find. If you break any of the plastic retainers you should be able to get a package of them from Napa for a couple bucks. AFter you take the cover off you'll be able to see what is going on inside. I would check the wires inside the rubber boot that runs from the body to the hatch, if I remember right your GC falls in the years that they were using some stiff wire and people were having trouble with the wire breaking inside the insulation. Hopefully you have access to an OHM meter. That will help you trouble shoot your problem.
needspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
johnjo

Copied & Pasted from 92rslt1's thread in the list at the bottom of this thread.

take off the rear plastic that covers the back hatch on the inside. Lift the hatch up and look at the latch mechanism. if you look around on the passenger side up inside it you will see wires that plug into it. disconnect them or replace the switch that they plug into. some people fix them, I just unplugged mine. very common problem.

Hope this helps.
johnjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
sadass
5.9,242,4.56,Aussies x 2

1998 ZJ 

OP, I hear ya! I have been ignoring the same problem.. I go down the road and the interior lights keep flashing on and off and the V.I.C keeps beeping and displaying rear hatch open every time the rear hatch moves over bumps causing the jeep to think the rear hatch door is open. AM I correct?
Now I to can follow the above post and take care of my annoying problem , Maybe even take the tape off the front cabin light lens cover that I put on there so I can see at night with the interior lights flashing on and off.
thanks guys!
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 02:13 AM   #12
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

I think I fixed it, I drove the Jepp around quite a bit tonite and never saw the lights flash once. So, I guess I answered my own question, there must be a switch in the latch mechanism and the loose latch was causing it to freak out when the gate moved. Its good now.
Unread 12-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #13
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

if you have the hatch open with the lights on you can press and hold the rear lens until the lights go off. it will make it so when you open the hatch the lights do not come on. then if you press and hold again, they will turn back on.
Unread 12-17-2010, 03:25 AM   #14
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Its almost comical how ppl reply to threads without even reading them.
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #15
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTheRad View Post
Its almost comical how ppl reply to threads without even reading them.
referring to me?

I did in fact read the whole thread. No one in any post discusses toggling the setting for when the hatch is opened. Maybe your gen1 ZJ's dont have that option.

Just trying to help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.