Where to find brake anti rattle clips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Where to find brake anti rattle clips

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 09-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
93zjer
1993 ZJ 

Where to find brake anti rattle clips

My steering knuckles are worn where the brake pads slide. My green stuff pads did not come with the sheet metal pieces that snap in there. I have welded the grooves and grounds them smooth on other ZJ's but I still want these to prevent damage. I tried every parts store in my area and google. Thanks

anti-rattle-clip.jpg

93zjer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

I think what you are looking for is called an abutment clip. They snap onto the slides to protect them. I looked for a very long time trying to find them with no luck. A brake shop may have an answer, but none around me did. I think I did find some kind of clip that comes in different thickness to take up slop. I'll have to try and find them later, cause I've been up since 2AM and am fairly close to falling out,
Unread 09-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Most of the aftermarket pads I've bought (but not all) came with the shims to set the pads end play at 0.015". They don't work much if you have grooves. Someone on here did find some stainless slides from another vehicle that worked should be able to find it in the search. I don't know if a thin piece of stainless isn't going to just buckle under the brake thrust from the pads but it probably helps some. I'd just weld them if it were me.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
monte350
1997 ZJ 

was this used on only the early ZJs? I have never seen these on any of my other ZJs before.
monte350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

None of the ZJs I've owned have had those clips, and the pad set I got for the Orvis came with all application-specific hardware, which is to say none at all.

I'm pretty sure ZJs don't use those clips.

FUEL ECONOMY IS FOR LOSERS
SchizophrenicMC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I've only ever worked on mine but it had pad shims when I bought it and every pad set I've bought since then except one has had them. Just looking around RockAuto plenty of pad sets come with them. See the pic. They make a difference. Without them my pads were rattling on bumps in the road and clicking when I hit the brakes. They also spread the pad load out over a bigger area so they probably will keep the knuckle from getting grooved as fast. They aren't wide clips like other vehicles, just a little shim that snaps on the end of the pad.
getimage-2-.jpg

zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I remember somebody on here buying some full SS clips for another kind of vehicle and grinding/bending them to make them fit his ZJ brake slides but can't remember who it was?

As far as rattling goes I've used the below "CRC Disc Brake Quiet" on all my Jeeps for years on the backs of the pads where they meet the caliper and piston while never have any brake rattling. Even after taking the brakes off after a couple years the pads are still adhered to the pistons/calipers so some pretty good stuff. Just don't get any on the pad material itself.

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Disc-Brake.../dp/B000CINV88

BTW, I run Wagner ceramic pads on all my Jeeps and while they used to supply the SS small clips Federal Mogul who owns Wagner brakes went on the cheap where they don't supply them with the pads anymore.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
monte350
1997 ZJ 

can someone post a picture of where/how these clips are supposed to be installed? I can't find anything about them in the FSM and when I do my front brakes I want to put these in.
Unread 09-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Here is a link to a ZJ anti-rattle clip for the front calipers:

See it here.

See this thread for installation pics.
Unread 09-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Older thread on the same subject and click on the image in the post to blow it up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a.../#post12278003

Not to be confused with the anti-rattle springs also discussed in that thread.

Unread 09-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #11
monte350
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Older thread on the same subject and click on the image in the post to blow it up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a.../#post12278003

Not to be confused with the anti-rattle springs also discussed in that thread.
that is awesome. I have not seen those before, but I will make sure my next pads have those in the box. thank you.
Unread 09-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
71maverick
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93zjer View Post
My steering knuckles are worn where the brake pads slide. My green stuff pads did not come with the sheet metal pieces that snap in there. I have welded the grooves and grounds them smooth on other ZJ's but I still want these to prevent damage. I tried every parts store in my area and google. Thanks
I got some off eBay (anti rattle clip) pain to install but work great
71maverick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 11:21 PM   #13
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte350 View Post
that is awesome. I have not seen those before, but I will make sure my next pads have those in the box. thank you.
YW and here's another post which better explains how you measure the gap between the pad/knuckle slide to tell which size clip you use in a kit.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...5/#post8698314

Unread 09-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
93zjer
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
None of the ZJs I've owned have had those clips, and the pad set I got for the Orvis came with all application-specific hardware, which is to say none at all.

I'm pretty sure ZJs don't use those clips.
If you dont want grooves worn into the flat spots that your pads slide on (part of the steering knuckle) then you should use them. Its not a matter of some cars using them and some not
Unread 09-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #15
93zjer
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
Most of the aftermarket pads I've bought (but not all) came with the shims to set the pads end play at 0.015". They don't work much if you have grooves. Someone on here did find some stainless slides from another vehicle that worked should be able to find it in the search. I don't know if a thin piece of stainless isn't going to just buckle under the brake thrust from the pads but it probably helps some. I'd just weld them if it were me.
Like you said with grooves the shims that set on the ears/tabs of the brake pads wont work.
There is very essentially no pressure from the pads on these. The ears/tabs of the pads just slide on the surface. There is no way they could ever be buckled.
Ive welded them and ground them smooth on other jeeps before. It works but without using these, you are just asking for the same problem in the future. (of course the welded areas will be harder than stock)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.