Where did you mount your trans cooler? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Where did you mount your trans cooler?

Black Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzZJ9er View Post
So I'm trying to get my duck inline to replace my trans and I'm definitely going to put an aux trans cooler in. But how big of one should I get? It does get cold here in the winter but I don't want to have to worry about the trans overheating again.

Also I should probably change filter/ fluid and Adjust the bands. I was told the trans are good if you adjust the bands every 20k miles. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

If I haven't mentioned it yet it is a niner.
I went with a smaller 11x7'' one. I have a clutch fan that sucks a lot of air thru there so I should be fine. I plan to block the air in that spot in the winter time. Its not huge but its better than nothing. Im running the cooler line thru the radiator also.

StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59

I went went with a smaller 11x7'' one. I have a clutch fan that sucks a lot of air thru there so I should be fine. I plan to block the air in that spot in the winter time. Its not huge but its better than nothing. Im running the cooler line thru the radiator also.
Thank you
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #18
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...509_0358469401

This one. At first I mounted it dead center and even with the top of the condenser. Bad idea.. Had to lower it a few inches because the hood latch was hitting it when I went to put everything back together. (I was also doing the Radiator too..)
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #19
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Ill have to check the local parts store to see if they can order something like that. I prefer to use them over a big napa chain store.
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #20
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Mine is 11" x 3/4" thick. I don't think you can fit a bigger one in without cutting some stuff.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #21
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Mine is 11" x 3/4" thick. I don't think you can fit a bigger one in without cutting some stuff.
11"x11"x3/4" ?
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
11"x11"x3/4" ?
I'm pretty sure this is the one I got from Oreillys. http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automot...ype=automotive
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #23
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I'm pretty sure this is the one I got from Oreillys. http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automot...ype=automotive

I think Im going to replace mine with the one you have. And eliminate the cooler line routing through the trans and widen the gap on the louvers so that heat can escape. I shut the engine off and the temp tends to increase 20-30 degrees whike it sits there. The stupid clutch fan I have isnt as impressive in the warmer weather.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Tr...ad6dc3&vxp=mtr
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #24
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

So this is in addition to the factory cooler right?
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #25
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
So this is in addition to the factory cooler right?
No. The 98's didn't have a factory cooler. Chrysler felt that the upgrade to the radiator cooler was good enough for some reason. Which is is not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.