where could these bearings have come from? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > where could these bearings have come from?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
jpadilla
2003 WJ 

where could these bearings have come from?

i was on the freeway yesterday when my car started making a low pitched vibrating noise.....so i slowed to about 30 mph then i heard sort of a bang, followed by a ****load of clunks

i pull over on the shoulder and find a trail of large bearings, i look under my car and my trasnfer case is smoking and the area around it is covered in oil.....i drive it home going about 20 mph, clunking all the way

anyway i get home and inspect the undercarriage, my first thoughts(that my transfer case had exploded) were subdued.....my t-case is intact

my front drive shaft has a ****load of play on the t-case end of it.....and im mostly sure thats where the clunking came from......the bearings are between half an inch and 3/4 inch

edit: i recently had my driveshaft remanufactured because one of the seals was messed up(something along those lines)

3" IRO
265/75 16 BGF AT's
jpadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

sounds like your mechanic caused this. Driveshaft had a problem and it grenaded your TC.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
jpadilla
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
sounds like your mechanic caused this. Driveshaft had a problem and it grenaded your TC.
there are bearings on the driveshaft on the tc side...right?(although i installed my own lift kit im a bit of a noob on the innerworkings of the tc/axles and such)

3" IRO
265/75 16 BGF AT's
jpadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Is the play in the driveshaft, or the yoke attached to the transfercase?
Unread 07-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Those bearings sound big, I'd bet they are from one of your front CV shafts, or if you have a CV front driveshaft it may have exploded...
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
sadass
5.9,242,4.56,Aussies x 2

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
Those bearings sound big, I'd bet they are from one of your front CV shafts, or if you have a CV front driveshaft it may have exploded...
2x but I lean more toward the CV front driveshaft,
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

I was thinking a CV shaft to. The CV shafts (and maybe the front axle, but I don't think so) are the only thing with bearings that big
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.