Where to buy 3 inch tailpipe? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Where to buy 3 inch tailpipe?

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 08-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
jeepguy98
1997 ZJ 

Where to buy 3 inch tailpipe?

I asked my local shop if they could bend and weld a 3 inch tailpipe for me and he said its "cutting it close" and wont do it because of safety reasons. He will weld a 3 inch tailpipe on for me if I buy it from somewhere else. Does anyone know where I can get a 3 inch tailpipe for a 97 GC?

97 JGC Limited 5.2L, Black/Black, NP242 swap, D44a with LSD, 3.73 Gears, 2" IRO lift, Zone Nitro shocks, BFG KO's, Doug Thorley Headers, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Flowmaster Super 44, Custom Tail Pipe, 5.9 E-Fan Conversion, SCT Tune by Sean, K&N FIPK, Amsoil filter/Pre-filter, MSD 6AL Ignition Box, Blaster SS Coil, Alpine Type-S speakers, Alpine 500W Amp, 10" Kicker CVR, Receiver Shackle, Custom Dash Bezel
jeepguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

LMFAO...
Need a NEW muffler shop, he's an idiot. His liability is exactly the same if he welds on someone else's or makes the pipe.

Reality is he isn't competent to make a bend that has to be exact. Again, find someone else.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-640000/

Call and see if you can get just the tailpipe as a replacement part.
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
jeepguy98
1997 ZJ 

Its not a muffler shop, more like a repair shop. But he can weld it for waay cheaper than anywhere else
97 JGC Limited 5.2L, Black/Black, NP242 swap, D44a with LSD, 3.73 Gears, 2" IRO lift, Zone Nitro shocks, BFG KO's, Doug Thorley Headers, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Flowmaster Super 44, Custom Tail Pipe, 5.9 E-Fan Conversion, SCT Tune by Sean, K&N FIPK, Amsoil filter/Pre-filter, MSD 6AL Ignition Box, Blaster SS Coil, Alpine Type-S speakers, Alpine 500W Amp, 10" Kicker CVR, Receiver Shackle, Custom Dash Bezel
jeepguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

how does that muffler sound by the way from summit? probably like crap right?
Unread 08-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
gmp211
2002 WJ 

Talk to Kolak. PM him on here or email him at kolak@aol.com
Unread 08-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
b16gsr
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.nein View Post

i just ordered this kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek View Post
how does that muffler sound by the way from summit? probably like crap right?
we will find out next week when i get mine installed. last one i had sounded great, flowmasterish.
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16gsr View Post
i just ordered this kit.

we will find out next week when i get mine installed. last one i had sounded great, flowmasterish.
Cool. Its a turbo style muffler, probably sounds nice.
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #9
Jeepish
1984 CJ8 

Any muffler shop should be able to sell you a section of 3" pipe either aluminized or stainless. 3" is common in diesel p/u applications.
Unread 08-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
Kolak
Vendor

PM me if you'd like a mandrel bent 3" tailpipe. I make them as part of my Kolak Exhaust setup but I will sell it separately if you've already got a 3" muffler and high flow converter.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

hey Kolak....shame you only make exhausts for jeeps...I need a good one for my 99 Audi a6 quattro. All I find is Milltech for over 1k
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.nein View Post

can't already asked about it since i don't like that muffler.

kolak or summit are the only ones i know of that have them readily available. i heard that magnaflow or flowmaster had one if you'd call them up about it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #13
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THachiya View Post
Any muffler shop should be able to sell you a section of 3" pipe either aluminized or stainless. 3" is common in diesel p/u applications.
will they sell you a 3" straight section of pipe? of course. good luck getting them to bend it to fit the grand cherokee. had a few shops tell me they don't carry 3" and none would even attempt to bend it for the grand. "not enough clearance" even after showing them 2 examples of off the shelf 3" tailpipes.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #14
Jeepish
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
will they sell you a 3" straight section of pipe? of course. good luck getting them to bend it to fit the grand cherokee. had a few shops tell me they don't carry 3" and none would even attempt to bend it for the grand. "not enough clearance" even after showing them 2 examples of off the shelf 3" tailpipes.
Did you take over the thread from Jeepguy98?

Jeepguy,

If you know how to talk to shop guys, they'll do damn near anything. If you piss them off, they won't give you the time of day using your watch.

Bend up some Tig filler wire (Get it from your shop pal) into the shape you need and take it to the exhaust shop. Try not to piss them off and they'll bend it for you. (Leave enough excess on both ends to ease the fitment.

Since they're trying to make a living fabricating exhaust systems, try to explain that you need the pipe to do something that their company won't allow them to do or that you're too broke to afford a shop to do the whole deal.

Good luck.
Unread 08-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
can't already asked about it since i don't like that muffler.

kolak or summit are the only ones i know of that have them readily available. i heard that magnaflow or flowmaster had one if you'd call them up about it.
Flowmaster will sell only the tailpipe, but its 2.5". The price is nice at under $40 tho. I've got their kit in both my ZJs, and everything is a perfect fit and the sound is purdy.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.