when does it stop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > when does it stop

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

when does it stop

Okay so I have replaced.... all this
94 grand cherokee with 112,000 miles AWD car has been rebuilt.....
transfer case seal
new engine and new cyilder heads and head gasket
all new brake lines
new alternator
all new wheel bearings
all new axles
new transfer case
complete new front end and upper and lower ball joints
new OEM shocks
new AC compressor
new mopar wire harness
new oil pan gasket
new brakes and calipers
new steering stabilizer
new control arms
new water pump
new radiator
new cooling hose
new fan clutch
new battery
new fuel filter
new tie rods
new JBL speakers
new stereo 400 watts
new power seat switches
leather seats
super 44 flowmaster
LED head lights
new 235/75/15 off road tires

and now my transfer case seal is leaking again and my differential seal of the yoke is starting to leak, my oil pan gasket is leaking, and I'm worried about my head gasket start leaking next I spent $8,000 on repairs this year...whats next when do the repairs stop.

tylersjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

wow you almost have a new jeep, you want to sell it, just kidding who did the repairs you or a shop if a shop and still has warranty go back and say wtf.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
1skrewsloose
1998 ZJ 

Wish I could help, but for that money, I'd say you're married to it now How long have you owned it, maybe you got a lemon?
1skrewsloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Without wishing to cast aspersions, if leaks have started soon after replacing seals/gaskets, it suggests that they weren't properly installed in the first place.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

It doesn't stop. Get used to it, or sell it.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 05:15 AM   #6
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Its never ending.... lol

But you spent enough money to just buy a new Jeep... you would have been better off buying something newer with that $8k you spent... I have to agree tho, if all your seals you replaced are leaking you or whoever did it.. did it wrong.

However the only things on your list that seems to be out of ordinary is the replacement of the cylinder heads.. The rest of the stuff.... to me is minor junk... you replaced a few wires, some seals, and hoses, shocks, had the transfercase worked on... Thats nothing that all of us havent done yet... I dont even see how all this add'ed to $8k... The only thing i can see that would cost a lot is the new cylinder heads, and tires, and transfercase and tools to do it all... But tires... seriously that shouldnt even count towards "repairs" Did you even do any work yourself or did you bring it to a shop and spend all the money there ??

Because I've replaced a lot of the same stuff you have on my Jeep and I've spent only maybe $1,000 in the last 2 1/2 years.. Remember your Jeep is almost 20 years old.. lol nothing lasts forever

New VC in the transfercase
New control arms,
New timing cover gasket,
Timing chain
Waterpump and hoses
new sensors
new power steering pump
new brakes
cv axles..

Then our 4.0 which is falling apart i've replaced

CV axles,
Powersteering
radiator and hoses.. sensors..
wheel bearing

Both Jeeps still need new shocks, new bushings, rear main seal, the 4.0 the rear hatch glass wont open and the wiper dont work, electric door doesnt work.. As i said i spent only maybe $1,000 on all this stuff and did all the work myself..
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
fljeepney
1998 ZJ 

My list of things I have replaced on it since ownership this year

Steering stabilizer
2 trackbars
Drag link
About to be on my second set of sway bar links
tie rod ends
3 Map sensors
2 caps and rotors
On my second set of plugs and wires
Distributor
2 IACs
TPS
Brakes
Wiper arm
2 sets of tires
Headlights
Head gasket,plus valve work just last week
Battery
PCM
New shocks
And it don't stop there my friend.Everyone on here advises to use Mopar for sensors,etc......I still have a ton of work to do to mine,but I will never get tired of my Jeep.
fljeepney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

more

It just went into the shop yesterday to have a transfer case leak fixed and pinion seal and rear main seal on the transmission cause of a major oil leak and intake manifold gasket cause the guy who did it did it wrong so its pouring coolant everywhere, I also paid them to rewire the door. total cost for this repair is $1,670 that makes a total of $9,670 spent over the last year. oh and new transmission cooler line
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
funkness
1998 ZJ 

To be honest i enjoy the building of it almost more then driving it i bought this jeep just to have something to tinker on but thats just me if it makes you feel better i have about 5500 in mine over the passed year but thats also with rebuilding engine and upgrading a few things
funkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
Wish I could help, but for that money, I'd say you're married to it now How long have you owned it, maybe you got a lemon?
the guy before me who owned treated it like crap it was in such bad shape when I got it its not even funny nothing was taken care or maintenance the other owner blow the cylinder heads and and just throw it back together, ever since 2010 its been one thing after another. I found out when doing a head gasket that the engine in jeep is a rebuilt engine not the original engine or cylinder heads, we don't if the transmission is rebuilt either?
Unread 12-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
tmcgraw
1995 ZJ 

... I have a 95 5.2L, 209,000mi ... I routinely take it into the woods and other trying things a stock vehicle probably shouldn't attempt.

I've had the door re-wired by a buddy of mine who is a tech and he did it in like 30 minutes (my windoes had stopped working and everyone knows what I'm talking about).

I can't imagine spending all that money to fix a car, I mean you're in Land Rover price territory (I'm a parts guy at a Land Rover dealership).

If you had a shop replace anything and it starts to leak or whatever again within even six months, I'd take it back to them. Don't be afraid to raise a little hell either, toss around the phrase 'law suit' if you have to. Another thing I've seen done is people will pring their cars into the dealer and we'll properly diag the problem (we have a tech who's been here for like 27 years), and I've seen issues where people go after the shops for 'shotguning parts' or misdiagnoses and toss around lawsuit this or that and get most of their money back, or at least the labor cost.

The advantage of a shop replacing somethign over you doing it is the limited warranty's you get on the work they do. I know if we replaced a seal and someone came back within three months with the same problem, we'd be fixing it for free until we actually fixed the source of the problem.

... There IS the chance that you just have a crap car, don't let it discourage you from the brand though.
tmcgraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
Thelt
2005 KJ Liberty 

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

I hate environmentalists, they keep me from enjoying the environment.
Thelt is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.