wheel/ tire combo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > wheel/ tire combo

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
oddworxs
1997 ZJ 

wheel/ tire combo

so tomorrow i'll be ordering my wheel and tire combo. i plan on running open country m/t's 33x10.5x15. im fairly new to offroading. my question is, will i be encountering problems later on down the road mechanical wise for running this size tire (mainly with my transmission) it is my dd and every so often go light off road, no climbing or crazy stuff just dirt roads and minor stuff. will i need to change something to avoid problems? i hava a 4in lift also.

oddworxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

The entire drivetrain should handle that without issue. 33s, however, will KILL your gas mileage.

I put 32s on mine and went from 15mpg to around 10mpg....

Time for a gear ratio swap!
Jeeps are addictive and there is no cure!!! Green Jeep Club #401
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/george-weezy-movin-up-1716906/
Maine1994ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Your gas mileage will go down considerably. You should consider regearing the front and rear diffs to bring the ratio back to stock with 33s.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You will only make it up hill with the wind at your back.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

not to mention you have to punch it to get her to go "fast" lol. My mpg's have stayed the same going to 31's with the 3.73 gear ratio.

Build thread Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
I learned to tuck my stick....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Yeh, washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder.

RIP Ratmonkey-5/27/13. You will be missed.
tucsonzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've seen things like this for decades. Friend would buy 4x4, friend would lift 4x4, friend would put on big tires, friend would have no power, bad MPG and break crap left and right because they half assed the lift and ran too big of tire. In short, their rig generally sucks. I see three options here:

1) Look good with your existing lift and 33" tires but suck.
2) Tone the thing down a bit, not look so cool but at least you won't suck as bad.
3) Do it right, spend $$, re-gear, make sure you have a decent lift, maybe different axles (probably not needed on DD), you're wallet is empty, girlfriend or wife leaves cause you have no money. But at least your ZJ won't suck.

Obviously 235/75's or 30's would look silly with your 4" lift, 31's might too but that is the ABSOLUTE biggest I would go. 9.5" wide might be a good idea too.
L_Kilkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny View Post
I've seen things like this for decades. Friend would buy 4x4, friend would lift 4x4, friend would put on big tires, friend would have no power, bad MPG and break crap left and right because they half assed the lift. In short, their rig generally sucks. I see three options here:

1) Look good with your existing lift and 33" tires but suck.
2) Tone the thing down a bit, not look so cool but at least you won't suck as bad.
3) Do it right, spend $$, re-gear, make sure you have a decent lift, maybe different axles (probably not needed on DD), you're wallet is empty, girlfriend or wife leaves cause you have no money. But at least your ZJ won't suck.

Obviously 235's would look silly with your 4" lift, 31's might too but that is the ABSOLUTE biggest I would go. 9.5" wide might be a good idea too.
d30/d35 axle combo can run 33's (top end limit). Doesn't mean it's the strongest thing but if he doesn't wheel it and stays off the skinny pedal nothing will break (right away). As he said he doesn't wheel, he already drives a 4slow anyways. Regearing would be helpful, but not required to run 33's. He already has a lift, who knows what kind of if it's done right, that's not currently the question.

Build thread Here

Quote:
Quote:
Yeh, washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder.

Unread 06-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
d30/d35 axle combo can run 33's (top end limit). Doesn't mean it's the strongest thing but if he doesn't wheel it and stays off the skinny pedal nothing will break (right away). As he said he doesn't wheel, he already drives a 4slow anyways. Regearing would be helpful, but not required to run 33's. He already has a lift, who knows what kind of if it's done right, that's not currently the question.
I'll agree with much of that but will add that making sure the lift is decent is a good way to "avoid problems" as the Op requested.
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny View Post
I'll agree with much of that but will add that making sure the lift is decent is a good way to "avoid problems" as the Op requested.
2nd that. Without details on his current set up...who knows what's goin on

Build thread Here

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 06-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
oddworxs
1997 ZJ 

i mean i dont halfass when working on jeep/cars for the simple matter that i depend on it well i drove with 30's and i mean why would anyone want to speed on an suv(last night i was pulled over for going 45-50 on a 65 haha!). i was averaging 16mpg. so mean it wasn't really bad. i might consider takign some lift of it since my gf hates having to "climb". so taking into consideration what i've read i might bring her down a tad bit and run 31's or 2's meh re-gear and move on from there.. thanks for the help guys!
oddworxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

if she don't like my jeep, she can walk.

"why don't you get some running boards so she can get in"
"I already got her an ironing board this year, she's not getting another board"

That's a members sig somewhere.

Build thread Here

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 06-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
if she don't like my jeep, she can walk.

"why don't you get some running boards so she can get in"
"i already got her an ironing board this year, she's not getting another board"

that's a members sig somewhere.
lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.