JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   wheel/ tire combo (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/wheel-tire-combo-1535416/)

oddworxs 06-12-2013 12:38 AM

wheel/ tire combo

so tomorrow i'll be ordering my wheel and tire combo. i plan on running open country m/t's 33x10.5x15. im fairly new to offroading. my question is, will i be encountering problems later on down the road mechanical wise for running this size tire (mainly with my transmission) it is my dd and every so often go light off road, no climbing or crazy stuff just dirt roads and minor stuff. will i need to change something to avoid problems? i hava a 4in lift also.

Maine1994ZJ 06-12-2013 08:43 AM

The entire drivetrain should handle that without issue. 33s, however, will KILL your gas mileage.

I put 32s on mine and went from 15mpg to around 10mpg....

Time for a gear ratio swap!:laugh:

Texas ZJ1 06-12-2013 08:49 AM

Your gas mileage will go down considerably. You should consider regearing the front and rear diffs to bring the ratio back to stock with 33s.

Hunter

PolkaPower 06-12-2013 11:27 AM

You will only make it up hill with the wind at your back. :laugh:

tucsonzj 06-12-2013 12:08 PM

not to mention you have to punch it to get her to go "fast" lol. My mpg's have stayed the same going to 31's with the 3.73 gear ratio.

L_Kilkenny 06-12-2013 01:26 PM

I've seen things like this for decades. Friend would buy 4x4, friend would lift 4x4, friend would put on big tires, friend would have no power, bad MPG and break crap left and right because they half assed the lift and ran too big of tire. In short, their rig generally sucks. I see three options here:

1) Look good with your existing lift and 33" tires but suck.
2) Tone the thing down a bit, not look so cool but at least you won't suck as bad.
3) Do it right, spend $$, re-gear, make sure you have a decent lift, maybe different axles (probably not needed on DD), you're wallet is empty, girlfriend or wife leaves cause you have no money. But at least your ZJ won't suck.

Obviously 235/75's or 30's would look silly with your 4" lift, 31's might too but that is the ABSOLUTE biggest I would go. 9.5" wide might be a good idea too.

tucsonzj 06-12-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny (Post 15552377)
I've seen things like this for decades. Friend would buy 4x4, friend would lift 4x4, friend would put on big tires, friend would have no power, bad MPG and break crap left and right because they half assed the lift. In short, their rig generally sucks. I see three options here:

1) Look good with your existing lift and 33" tires but suck.
2) Tone the thing down a bit, not look so cool but at least you won't suck as bad.
3) Do it right, spend $$, re-gear, make sure you have a decent lift, maybe different axles (probably not needed on DD), you're wallet is empty, girlfriend or wife leaves cause you have no money. But at least your ZJ won't suck.

Obviously 235's would look silly with your 4" lift, 31's might too but that is the ABSOLUTE biggest I would go. 9.5" wide might be a good idea too.

d30/d35 axle combo can run 33's (top end limit). Doesn't mean it's the strongest thing but if he doesn't wheel it and stays off the skinny pedal nothing will break (right away). As he said he doesn't wheel, he already drives a 4slow anyways. Regearing would be helpful, but not required to run 33's. He already has a lift, who knows what kind of if it's done right, that's not currently the question.

L_Kilkenny 06-12-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tucsonzj (Post 15552421)
d30/d35 axle combo can run 33's (top end limit). Doesn't mean it's the strongest thing but if he doesn't wheel it and stays off the skinny pedal nothing will break (right away). As he said he doesn't wheel, he already drives a 4slow anyways. Regearing would be helpful, but not required to run 33's. He already has a lift, who knows what kind of if it's done right, that's not currently the question.

I'll agree with much of that but will add that making sure the lift is decent is a good way to "avoid problems" as the Op requested.

tucsonzj 06-12-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny (Post 15552507)
I'll agree with much of that but will add that making sure the lift is decent is a good way to "avoid problems" as the Op requested.

2nd that. Without details on his current set up...who knows what's goin on

oddworxs 06-12-2013 06:24 PM

i mean i dont halfass when working on jeep/cars for the simple matter that i depend on it well i drove with 30's and i mean why would anyone want to speed on an suv(last night i was pulled over for going 45-50 on a 65 haha!). i was averaging 16mpg. so mean it wasn't really bad. i might consider takign some lift of it since my gf hates having to "climb". so taking into consideration what i've read i might bring her down a tad bit and run 31's or 2's meh re-gear and move on from there.. thanks for the help guys!

tucsonzj 06-12-2013 06:42 PM

if she don't like my jeep, she can walk.

"why don't you get some running boards so she can get in"
"I already got her an ironing board this year, she's not getting another board"

That's a members sig somewhere.

L_Kilkenny 06-13-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tucsonzj (Post 15553799)
if she don't like my jeep, she can walk.

"why don't you get some running boards so she can get in"
"i already got her an ironing board this year, she's not getting another board"

that's a members sig somewhere.

lol

The time now is 08:07 PM.