Wheel shake and ABS light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wheel shake and ABS light

Halloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
travis19

Wheel shake and ABS light

I have a stock 2000 WJ Limited 4x4. My problem is that one day i started to smell the brake pads burning really bad and then my wheel would shake left to right at about 45 MPH and then i tap the brake and it would go away until i stopped and reached that speed agian...I checked it out and the smell was really coming from the passenger side... Next day it went away... a week later after a hard stop i could smell it agian but this time from the driver side and after hitting a few bumps and such my ABS light came on and slowly the smell went away. But now the wheel shakes left to right hard above 45 all the time and it doesn't brake as well as it did before... and there is no pulseation when stopping.

Could it be the calipers and sticking? I know the front brakes were recalled and i am unaware if they were replaced yet or not. Any help would be great

travis19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

The pads are probably worn out and the rotors need turning. Or, the rotors are warped. Or, the calipers are binding. Or, the steering stabilizer is worn out
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I would pull the wheel off and inspect the rotor. Is it multicolored or huge ridges cut into it?

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
travis19

No ridges but they are slightly multicolored ... a little bit of brown in the center... but will that cause the ABS light to turn on as well
Unread 02-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
travis19

I just pulled the wheel off the rotor looked a little multicolored and the pads look good without taking off the caliper but when i spin the rotor the pads are really close to it and the rub a tiny bit... i will take some pics of the assembly and repost in about an hour...
Unread 02-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
travis19

Alrighty, the brake calipers are the old open style teves caliper... which is the one that causes rotor warpage... but i don't have any warranty on the vehicle so the dealer not going to fix it for free...
Unread 02-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
travis19

New pads and rotors and the problem is fixed but the ABS light won't go away.
Unread 02-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Head to an brake place and have them pull the ABS codes - it should be free.

However you can just start by checking the encoder gear on the axle and the sensor associated with it. Just follow the wire that heads towards the axle (coming down the knuckle) and look for any obvious damage or misalignment.
Unread 02-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #9
K-Pax

not sure if this will help you or not, but my brakes would pulsate badly when braking, thought it was just the ABS system....no warning lights came on though. then erratic shaking developed, so i put on new calipers.....shaking went away but not much. this last weekend........2 days ago.....i replaced the rotors and pads as well. rotors were $20 each and pads were $20 for the set. had to bleed the brake lines (all 4) myself....which was fairly easy with the help of a piece of wood between the seat and brake pedal. but now i have no noise, no shimmying, no shaking, no pulsating.......just smoooth braking. feels a little smushy on the pedal still though....i think it's air somewhere in the lines that haven't worked itself out yet.

Kevin's rig:
94 Grand Cherokee Laredo
I-6 4.0L, Quadra-Trac on demand

2" budget lift
pro-comp steelies
kevin's radiator support bar
JKS quick discos
e-mail me
K-Pax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
travis19

I looked at the cable and no damage... but tonight the driver side brakes started smoking and the smell came back... so looks like i will have to replace to calipers...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.