wheel lugs came loose - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > wheel lugs came loose

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 05-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

so noones got any idea how these came loose? just wondering why so, if possible, i can try to prevent it from happening again

Unread 05-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #17
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
so noones got any idea how these came loose? just wondering why so, if possible, i can try to prevent it from happening again
Common sense would dictate that they be checked regularly.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
Slappyman
1998 ZJ 

Improperly torqued is a possibility??

Too loose maybe...or worse yet, too tight....if they were over torqued then the stud threads would be stretched out and possibly need replacing.
1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited. ** IRO 7" Premium Long Arm Kit. ** IRO OTK Steering System. ** DT-8000 Shocks. ** JKS Quicker Discos. ** AE Wheels Series 185 Rims. ** Mickey Thompson 305/70/R16 Tires.

My build thread.
Slappyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #19
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
how would we know how they came lose?

As said, check them regularly. If you do your own oil changes every 3-5k then you should be checking your lugs among other things. If not maybe start a monthly check list? I know I check my fluids, tire pressure and lugs every month.
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
flexyxj
2009 XK Commander 

Quote:
Maybe somebody was going to try and steal one of your wheels and got spooked and left it. I had a similar instance several years ago and never did figure out why,however, since then, I have always checked my lugnuts at service and whenever I rotate the tires I always torque them to 110-115 ft lbs with a torque wrench and I haven't had a problem since.....
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #21
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexyxj View Post
Maybe somebody was going to try and steal one of your wheels and got spooked and left it. I had a similar instance several years ago and never did figure out why,however, since then, I have always checked my lugnuts at service and whenever I rotate the tires I always torque them to 110-115 ft lbs with a torque wrench and I haven't had a problem since.....
you know what, that very well could be. i seem to remember my alarm going off in the middle of the night the other day.
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #22
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
you know what, that very well could be. i seem to remember my alarm going off in the middle of the night the other day.
you are in phx. I lived in flagstaff and tucson, AZ really has some ghetto people. Someone broke my rear window to steal a gym bag, it was a black bag, on the floor, with dark tinted windows..how they even saw it in the back seat I have no idea. Bass-tards
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #23
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
first, get a torque wrench. unevenly tightened or improperly tightened lugs lead to bad brake rotor wear and "warping" and also stud and wheel damage.
two possibilities for your lugs coming loose. the first is that you didn't tighten them enough with the lug wrench. those are only to be used for quick changes on the side of the road till you can get it to a shop or home where the real torque wrench is.
the other is that it was vandalism. not unheard of really.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #24
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
first, get a torque wrench. unevenly tightened or improperly tightened lugs lead to bad brake rotor wear and "warping" and also stud and wheel damage.
two possibilities for your lugs coming loose. the first is that you didn't tighten them enough with the lug wrench. those are only to be used for quick changes on the side of the road till you can get it to a shop or home where the real torque wrench is.
the other is that it was vandalism. not unheard of really.
im leaning towards the latter at this point. ive always tightened them with the lug wrench and my dad has done the same (same lug wrench too) for the last 30 years and not one has ever come loose like these were. i will take your advice and get a torque wrench though.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.