Wheel Hop after Switching Out of 4WD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wheel Hop after Switching Out of 4WD

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
billyblooshoes
1998 ZJ 

Wheel Hop after Switching Out of 4WD

hey guys. had the 5.9 for a month or so now, and just for the first time yesterday i put it in full-time 4WD (it has 242 swap). well, i got back to my house and put it back in 2WD, and when i was backing out of a parking spot later on, it felt as if the wheels were hopping as i turned backwards out of the spot. almost felt like i was trying to back up over a curb or something as well. i tried to replicate this and it did happen again, except the next time, i switched back to 2WD, then just took a semi-hard turn and the wheel hop happened again.

whats the deal? is this something thats normal, as it goes away after a minute or so?

billyblooshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Looks like tcase sticking in part-time 4WD. Try going in/out 4WD modes when going straight at some speed, not at standstill.
If it's stuck in part time 4wd, try reversing and going forward, sometimes that works and you'll hear a click from tcase.

PS: FULL-TIME 4WD is 2 clicks back from 2WD, PART-TIME is 1 CLICK. Sure youre not messing them up?
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyblooshoes View Post
whats the deal? is this something thats normal, as it goes away after a minute or so?
Shaban is pretty spot on.

Yeah, I'd say it's pretty normal. My XJ with the 242 would do it sometimes too. I think what happens is when you shift from full time to 2wd you have to go through part time and for whatever reason it gets stuck in part time. Moving seems to help. You can also spin the tires and it will shift. Also check your tire pressures. On my XJ I had a bead leak on the one rim and it made the transfer case shifting a lot worse when that tire lost a few pounds.
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
LoveHate
1995 ZJ 

the 242 is supposed to be shifted while moving and if you hesitate in the pt position it will shift to it.
Built Not Bought #693
LoveHate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
billyblooshoes
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaban View Post
Looks like tcase sticking in part-time 4WD. Try going in/out 4WD modes when going straight at some speed, not at standstill.
If it's stuck in part time 4wd, try reversing and going forward, sometimes that works and you'll hear a click from tcase.

PS: FULL-TIME 4WD is 2 clicks back from 2WD, PART-TIME is 1 CLICK. Sure youre not messing them up?
thanks for the input. pretty sure i wasnt mixing them up. also, the VIC had FULL TIME up on the screen.
billyblooshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

if your tires aren't exactly the same all around it'll hang in part time. usually backing up for a ways will free things up, or goosing the throttle, popping it into neutral, then back into drive while moving will get it out of part time as well.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.