JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Wheel Bearings turns into my axle rebuild thread (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/wheel-bearings-turns-into-my-axle-rebuild-thread-1551121/)

stageninja 07-19-2013 05:37 PM

Wheel Bearings turns into my axle rebuild thread

First a little history...
When I bought my 1st "mechanics spcl." ZJ Ltd W/Up-Country Pkg. it had a "roar/whine".
I had carrier & pinion bearings installed in both axles from a reputable shop across from Lucas Oil Stadium during construction.
That ZJ totaled due to front end collision:mad:.
A week later, my wife finds duplicate ZJ "mechanics spcl." w/o Up-Country Pkg. from same Chrysler Dealer:kiss:.
Get totaled ZJ as parts Jeep from Insurance co:highfive:.
Transfer rebuilt rear axle & U-C Pkg. Along w/a cornucopia of parts from the wreck over the last 5 years.:cheers2:
Rebuild front axle myself:2thumbsup: as the d-30 from parts Jeep was destroyed:rolleyes:.
Buy my wifes 2-wd ZJ & replace bearings in d-35 axle.:tea:

Present day; Since rebuilt d-44a axle started to roar I order outer wheel bearings as they weren't replaced in the initial rebuild & proceed to tear down to install.
All ready this far I decide to remove carrier and clean and inspect rear end.
Discover galled bearings and races, particularly on drivers side, of the rebuilt axle by a reputable shop with a state contract, that I transferred from parts Jeep.:(
order bearing kit from RRP.:cool:
At this point I started taking photos & will post them with-in the next 24 hrs.
I didn't intend for this repair to be a re-build thread but I guess it is now. I have discovered issues with the installation by a reputable...

More to come as I have to close garage & computer & go to work.

970001zj 07-19-2013 06:24 PM

:PopCorn:

stageninja 07-20-2013 02:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are the photos of what the shop did wrong and the results:brickwall. All are taken from drivers side components.

1st 2 are the buggered factory shim. It appears the reputable shop beat it into place in the housing:doh:. This diff has 1 large shim each side of carrier, outside the outer bearing races.

The rest are pitted and galled races and buggered bearings.

I have cleaned and closed everything up for the week end as the machine shop I use closed Fri. about the time UPS arrived with the new bearing kit. I'll post more photos as I get them downsized.

stageninja 07-20-2013 06:08 PM

6 Attachment(s)
The next few photos are of the various parts cleaned and awaiting re-assembly after large p-bearing is removed and new one pressed on. There is also a photo of my custom cut gasket. It's a personal thing, I prefer a gasket to gasket goo & Lube Locker doesn't make one for the 44-a.

stageninja 07-20-2013 06:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the Trac-Lok with new bearings pressed on. If it looks a little frosty that's because I wrapped it up and put it in the freezer overnight to aid in getting the bearings on. I used the inner race from the old bearings as a pressing tool so as not to damage the bearing carriage. Then struck squarely with a dead blow mallet. After that thoroughly dried the carrier with paper shop towels and air.

stageninja 07-20-2013 06:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Reaching a stopping point till Mon. when shop opens I wrapped the case and axle tube ends with shrink wrap.

stageninja 07-21-2013 06:31 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I did a couple of things today. I installed the pinion races and a new transfer case output seal since the shaft is out and the seal was leaking. The nicks inside the case I must assume came from that reputable shop.
Attachment 648574

Attachment 648575
Attachment 648576

I also deburred the buggered shim. I know many of you are against reusing factory shims and I'm sure especially one that has been messed up by a prior servicing. I personally have had excellent luck with reusing the factory shims and always check the pattern before I close up and call it good. I will do the same thing here and with the d-44 & my d-30 having large outer shims, they make a good starting point to adjust without messing up the bearings. I was also careful only to debur and not compromise the integrity of the shim.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 648579[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Timo_90xj 07-22-2013 02:10 AM

Double- check your carrier bearing caps that you don't have spun the bearings inside them. D44a has a habit of doing that, and once the bearings have spun you may as well say bye-bye to the axle housing. Carrier bearing caps don't have enough clamping force, I've seen people take the caps to a machine shop to shave off a couple thousands from the bottom -at your own risk though :D

The bearings and races on my D44a that had around 95k on the odometer looked exactly like yours. The aluminum- case D44 was not exactly a brilliant idea by Jeep, since the housing can't take the forces from the live axle -> housing warps and causes bearing failures. It's a good unit for independent suspension rear wheel drives though.. ie. think about Dodge Viper.

stageninja 07-22-2013 12:06 PM

At the machine shop now waiting for guys to come back from lunch. Will post photos after I can get them to proper size.

stageninja 07-22-2013 12:08 PM

Def looks like driver's side race spun.

Timo_90xj 07-22-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stageninja (Post 15705391)
Def looks like driver's side race spun.

I wouldn't place my bets on the bearings surviving for too long. You never know though, so it might be worth a shot if you don't pay too much for the shop.

stageninja 07-22-2013 01:41 PM

Shop fees including tips were 30.00. To pull & press bearings & take 1/2 a thousandth off the base of the drivers side bearing caps. I'll post the photos in the next couple hrs.

stageninja 07-23-2013 09:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
After the guys came back from lunch, we removed and pressed the bearing onto the pinion.
Attachment 649111

Then we discussed the cap with the spun race. Since my guy John IS a rear end expert we settled on only taking 1/2 a 1000th of the base of the caps in an attempt to grab the race with out creating an ellipse from a circle. taking the full 5000ths that was grooved would have been too much. I fully realize this is a gamble at saving this axle that I am so far into. If it works it will be great, if not I will have to get an 8.8 or another d-44 and rebuild that. I am greatly disappointed at what a professional shop did to this axle due to carelessness.

stageninja 07-23-2013 11:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And now reassembly begins. Pinion installed and pre-load @ 15 in. #s rotating torque as per low side of FSM for new bearings. Preload was sloppy w/slight endplay @ only 5in. #s during disassembly.

stageninja 07-23-2013 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Diff installed preparing to check pattern w/gear paint.

The time now is 02:39 PM.