wheel bearing vs axle bearing. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > wheel bearing vs axle bearing.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 06-20-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
cifer6425
1999 WJ 

wheel bearing vs axle bearing.

first off i have not searched. i was just going to be lazy and post up.

i purchased my 99 GC back in 04. when i purchased it it had a little noise coming from the back axle. the previous owner said it was a wheel bearing. finally i am getting ready to move and need to sell the jeep, so i am going to fix it. (we don't drive it much.) my local Firestone automotive store said that it could be 1) wheel bearing, 2) axle bearing or 3) center diff.

i really don't think its the center diff. i was going to ask the experts here what they thought. the jeep has right at 125xxx miles.

thanks for the help.

cifer6425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
Chrisca

my local Firestone automotive store said that it could be 1) wheel bearing, 2) axle bearing
If he told you this, do not ever go back there for anything since there is no rear wheel bearing.

Is it coming from the center (diff) or the side (wheel)?
Unread 06-21-2007, 01:21 AM   #3
cifer6425
1999 WJ 

it sounds like the outer side of jeep, not the center. both my father in law and myself agree.
Unread 06-21-2007, 01:21 AM   #4
cifer6425
1999 WJ 

double post... my bad.
Unread 06-21-2007, 06:12 AM   #5
ajmorell

It's really difficult to tell. You have to remove the axle shafts either way, so you should just buy both and fix the bad one when you see which one it is. I would say to do all of them (axle, carrier, & pinion), but you're not keeping it so there is no point.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
cifer6425
1999 WJ 

thanks for the advice. our jeep is just used as a people hauler when family/friends come into town.

i did not want to do too much work before i sold it. i was going to replace the brakes and have the rotors turned/replaced.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.