wheel adapters - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > wheel adapters

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 07-05-2002, 02:50 PM   #1
pjm8047

wheel adapters

Has anyone put wheel adapters a there 93-98 grand cherokee to change bolt pattern for a different rim? Do they work?

pjm8047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2002, 06:44 PM   #2
Drafter75

Man, you're taking a chance using a wheel adapter... those things got left behing in the 70's. They just don't work, they're dangerous and they push your wheels further outboard. Be safe... find a wheel that'll fir your OEM pattern, you won't regret it.
[b]Have you hugged your Jeep today?[/b]
Drafter75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2002, 01:22 PM   #3
pjm8047

I got some they work fine
Unread 07-12-2002, 06:23 PM   #4
Drafter75

pjm8047... time will tell.
Unread 07-12-2002, 08:11 PM   #5
pjm8047

I ask a company thet say if there not safe they woldn't sell them and they can get sued.
Unread 07-12-2002, 10:20 PM   #6
Charlie L

The wheel adapters do work, but I've heard really bad things about them. Asside from the fact that they can mess with you're drive line by changing the stress/wear points of bearings and other components as well as change steering geometry..they also stress you're wheel studs differently and could cause them to break..and I stress "could" not that they will.

Charlie
Charlie L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2002, 10:15 AM   #7
Drafter75

Man, it's your vehicle and your life. If you want to take a chance on wheel adapters, go right ahead. Don't say people didn't try to warn you.

Wheel adapters were a rage back in the 70's. They need to constantly be checked to make sure all the nuts are tight. They have a nasty tendency to loosen up. When you start mixing mating parts of dissimilar metals (cast iron, steel, aluminum, etc.) you get a natural chemical corrosion occuring. Also factor road salt into the equation if you live in a state that uses it. What does all this do for the reliability of these parts?

Many states ended-up outlawing the use of wheel adapters because of these safety hazards. I don't know how many of them still do today.

I doubt the ones you bought are much different from those of the 70's. Sure, they "work" but they also put a lot of stress on the hubs, studs, suspension, handling, etc. What if one of these parts eventually fails because of it? Say at 70+mph on the freeway? Do you think you're going to be able to control your vehicle if this happens? What about the shock and stress imposed by any off-roading you may do?

No matter how much I fell in "love" with a set of wheels or tires, there's NO WAY I'd buy them if they weren't made to fit my vehicle without an adapter. Don't let yourself get blinded by this... it's not worth jeopardizing your safety, as well as everyone else's. Be smart!

What else did you expect to hear from the outfit that sold these to you? They're the one's trying to SELL them. They probably figure that any liability for these rests with the manufacturer. Believe me, there are plenty of poorly designed and inherently defective products out there... and that never stopped anyone from making or selling them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.