What's it worth? 96 JGC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What's it worth? 96 JGC

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
gamble
1997 ZJ 

What's it worth? 96 JGC

found a 96 jeep grand cherokee. 5.2L, 180k. Looks to be in good shape.
radio doesn't work and 4wd doesn't work. And a rip in the leather.
I haven't drove it yet, but this is what the owner told me. It looks to be in really good shape with good tires.

What would you pay?

Looking to get something bigger to cart the kids around in and looking for the room in the back to throw my welder so I can easily lug stuff around to go do welding or plasma cutter work without having to reach into a small trunk.

Unread 10-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well, you'd get better luck in the ZJ forum because Grand Cherokees and Cherokees are not the same model.

That said, I'd definitely pay less than $3000 for it. Without seeing it, it's hard to say, but ZJs love to have electrical gremlins, their transmissions are underwhelming (especially at 180k), the 5.2 is a solid/reliable engine though, I hate neglected leather... I can't say exactly what I'd pay cuz I don't think I'd ever buy anything less than a near-perfect ZJ unless it was a manual or a 93 4.0, but that's me.

EDIT: I didn't even notice the 4wd not working. How I feel about that depends on which transfer case it has, but either way it doesn't help things any. Quite frankly, I just plain wouldn't buy it.

Sent from my phone
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If you have to pay someone to diagnose/fix the 4WD issue, then its probably not worth the headache. Might be something simple, or could be something very expensive. Theres plenty of jeeps out there that are in good, working condition. Dont buy yourself a head ache.
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I moved this thread to the Grand Cherokee forum section where the ZJ guys hang out.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month - TIE BREAKER!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The T case is probably one part called the viscous coupler. It goes bad after about 130k miles or so. Its a 320 dollar part if you do the work. Other than that, expect to replace all the control arms because of bad bushings, motor mounts, tranny mount, plenum gasket, and other odds and ends to make it ride like new and be safe for your family. Bad control arms and worn out steering are probably the biggest issue IF everything is original. Just google the things I mentioned, there is a lot of info on that stuff.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.