What's the trick on the bypass hose - 5.2L V8 with AC? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What's the trick on the bypass hose - 5.2L V8 with AC?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 06-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
IdahoZJGuy
1993 ZJ 

What's the trick on the bypass hose - 5.2L V8 with AC?

So, after some false starts (problem with stripped thread on T-Housing) I am now at the point where I am installing the water pump back to the JEEP on 5.2L V8 with air conditioning. Hooray.

This is long so please bare with me:

The air conditioning part is important to note, because the bypass hose that connects to the water pump is a small hose about 6 inches (give or take) with a 90 degree bend in it. It goes under the bracket that holds the AC compressor and generator in place on the engine. I did a dry fit last night to make sure everything will fit last night, and of course the pump fits, but fitting that little hose on to the pump and pushing up to get it installed is d*** near impossible because of pliability issues with a new hose and the crampness of the space where the hose is housed. I think this was designed by a sadist.

Without the gasket and rtv it's a problem. I can see bigger problems are on the horizon once I install the gasket and rtv and try to fit the hose on to the top of the hose and pivot the pump down. Trying to pivot the pump to the hose before I bolt it is going to get RTV and gasket everywhere - it's going to be like the tar baby in the briar rabbit stories.

I'm thinking the trick is to install the pump first to the front of the engine and then some how 'magically' fish the hose onto the top of the water pump once it is securely bolted to the engine - this way a good seal can be insured with the gasket and RTV.

Here is where the trick comes in, what tool are you using to fish the hose back over the top of the water pump in that impossibly tight area and what are you doing to the hose to get to be flexible enough to bend to get it over (6 inch water hose does not have alot of give in a very cramped space). Are you warming the hose with a heat gun (obviously from a distance not touching the hose) or are you just lifting the thing on with a screw driver and then pulling it down so it seats properly on the pump? Since the hot water from the engine is not pumping through the engine; the new hose is a little stiff.

Thanks in in advance for the help.

IdahoZJGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

ok...so, do you have the ac bracket off right now???

bolt on the water pump, with all your gaskets and such, then just wrestle the hose in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post
It's threads like this that make me wonder why people lift there jeeps
its comments like this that make me wonder why some people are jerks.

build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...ndard-1056365/
5.9 ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
IdahoZJGuy
1993 ZJ 

No, the bracket is on, along with the generator. To remove the bracket means disconnecting the AC lines, etc. According to shop manual you loosen the bolts that hold the bracket, supporting brace for generator (top), supporting brace for AC, electrical for clutch, accelerator cable and speed cable, oil dipstick bolt to install the the hose. It all slides forward. Not a lot but enough to install the bypass hose. That's it. Obviously you reverse everything to put it back together.

Also, it's one bracket that holds the generator and AC. Power steering pump is currently pulled and setting aside inside the engine compartment.

Here is what the shop manual states:

INSTALLATION
(1) Position bypass hose clamps to center of hose.
(2) Install bypass hose to engine.
(3) Secure both hose clamps (Fig. 19).
(4) Install generator-A/C mounting bracket assembly
to engine. Tighten bolts (number 1 and 2—Fig.
20) to 54 NIm (40 ft. lbs.) torque. Tighten bolts (number
3—Fig. 20) to 40 NIm (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
(5) Install a new O-ring to the heater hose coolant
return tube (Fig. 21). Coat the new O-ring with antifreeze
before installation.
(6) Install coolant return tube to engine (Fig. 21).
Be sure the slot in tube bracket is bottomed to the
mounting bolt. This will properly position return
tube.
(7) Connect throttle body control cables.
(8) Install oil dipstick mounting bolt.
(9) Install idler pulley. Tighten pulley bolt to 54
NIm (40 ft. lbs.) torque.
(10) Relax tension from belt tensioner (Fig. 22).
Install drive belt.
CAUTION: When installing serpentine accessory
drive belt, belt must be routed correctly. If not, engine
may overheat due to water pump rotating in
wrong direction. Refer to (Fig. 23) for correct belt
routing. The correct belt with correct length must be
used.
(11) Install air duct to throttle body.
(12) Install upper radiator hose to radiator.
(13) Connect wiring harness to A/C compressor.
(14) Connect A/C lines to clip at intake manifold.
(15) Fill cooling system. Refer to Refilling the Cooling
System in this group.
(16) Start and warm the engine. Check for leaks.

The problem is if you try to mount it with the gear off the engine, it becomes very difficult to manuever - if not impossible to - to get the pump to the hose and pivot to the front of the engine. Seems to make more sense to install with the everything back on the engine and try to pivot it into place - but once again I'm dealing with that short little hose that is causing the problem.

I hope this is making sense.

Last edited by IdahoZJGuy; 06-11-2008 at 08:57 AM..
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

take off the generator as you so call it, just unbolt it, and set it aside, then un bolt AC pump DO NOT UNBOLT THE 2 LITTLE BOLTS ON TOP... then just let that sit there.... then un bolt the entire bracket, and remove the bracket, then lift the AC compressor out of the way.

Quote:

Unread 06-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
IdahoZJGuy
1993 ZJ 

Ok, I'll try that.

By the way, I usually call them alternators, the shop manual calls it a generator so I matched my 'speak' in line with what the manual calls it. On a normal day - it's alternator to me.
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoZJGuy View Post
Ok, I'll try that.

By the way, I usually call them alternators, the shop manual calls it a generator so I matched my 'speak' in line with what the manual calls it. On a normal day - it's alternator to me.
ok, because i was saying to myself " wow this guy is retarded and knows nothing about vehicles, he is calling it a generator"

Quote:

Unread 06-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
IdahoZJGuy
1993 ZJ 

I figured so much. When I read it in the manual I was thinking the exact same thing about the editing staff who proofed it before it was printed.
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
j.love
1994 ZJ 

This should help you out.....

Quote:

Quote:
This little trick makes the job go much quicker. You see what I did was lay a old floor mat over the battery, and used a bungee cord to keep the whole thing from flopping over. You AC hoses will allow you do this, but go easy, they can't be stressed too much.

Personally, I have done this but removed both the alternator and the AC pump from the bracket first. Then laid them over the battery side separately. You have to remove a few more thing though like the power steering pump, idol pulley maybe, and a few wires if I remember correctly. be careful when bolting that pump back up though, the one ear likes to break off! (Ask me how I know...)
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

I removed both the A/C and Alternator from the bracket, then removed the bracket. The A/C is on flexible hoses and will just sit off to the side. I did have to loosen the power steering pump to get to one of the bracket bolts.
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
Turbonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
I removed both the A/C and Alternator from the bracket, then removed the bracket. The A/C is on flexible hoses and will just sit off to the side. I did have to loosen the power steering pump to get to one of the bracket bolts.
The compressor just needs to be lifted slightly and the bracket can be removed. Remove the PS pump as it's easy, and you can access bolt through pulley holes, and set the alt. to the side.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #11
IdahoZJGuy
1993 ZJ 

Ahh ha. I knew there was a trick. This is like seeing the 'OZ' behind the curtain.

I appreciate everyone's response, this has been very educational. I also like the three suggestions as far as removing the bracket because it gives me one more shot at making sure that bypass hose is securely fastened. I put the bracket back on last night and tightened it all back down, hooked everything back up, but it's no big deal to undo it again. After I got it all put together I had this gnawing feeling I didn't tighten the top bypass hose properly. Was going to have to pull the mounting bracket anyway to make sure it was right.

I still think this thing was designed by a sadist. You know the old joke, a sadist and a masochist get married. On their wedding night things start to get hot, the masochist says, 'beat me, beat me', the sadist says 'No'. I'm pretty sure this is the mindset of the engineers at Chrysler in 91-92 when this was being designed.
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
j.love
1994 ZJ 

You have to consider the history of the GC. The company was changing hands and the GC was a prototype at the time.Also they just revamped the 5.2 motor in that time period. Then the 5.2 made its way into the ZJ. There was a lot going on at Jeep in that time period. Consider yourself lucky that the 5.2 even fit in there. Have you tried to do a tune up yet and change the cap and rotor??? Thats fun let me tell you!
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
IdahoZJGuy
1993 ZJ 

Not saying it's a bad product - love my JEEP and where it allows me to go; this has been one of the more difficult things that I've had to do with the rig since I got it. Thanks for the feed back.
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #14
Ds4x4
1996 ZJ 

wish i woulda had that much room to work with.. mine didn't move out of the way that much
OME Stab.; Rustys 2" BB + shocks, xtreme hi-lift, Kennesaw Rear MultiCarrier
Proud To Be A FF/EMT/Police/Military Club Member #15
Ds4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #15
j.love
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoZJGuy View Post
Not saying it's a bad product - love my JEEP and where it allows me to go; this has been one of the more difficult things that I've had to do with the rig since I got it. Thanks for the feed back.
Hey man, no problem, Just giving you a little more info on the subject. Check out Jeep Wiki for all sorts of info like that.
Joe Biden

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.