Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

whats a good gear ratio?

4K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  vredenburg08 
#1 ·
whats a good gear ratio for 31" tires?

#4 ·
it will probably be a little slower off of the line. i say that because they come stock with the 5.2 and the benefit of doing gears isnt going to be worth it for the price of doing gears IMO.

#5 ·
not for 31's? with the stock gear right now it takes alot more work to accelerate than it used too. and it obviously brought the MPG down. i just wanted to regear to make it simmilar to what it used to be

#7 ·
^ Agree 4.10's for 31's and 32's, you can even run them with 33's (I do), 35's - 37 you'll want 4.56's.

#8 ·
wouldn't bigger tires lower your rpm's, thus improving mileage? and bigger tires will have less revolutions per mile than smaller ones, saving you some cash on tires in the long run

#10 ·
That's why I don't buy MT's. As much as I'd like to, not practical for a daily driver.

#13 ·
I had a 95 318 with 31's and now a 98 318 with 31's and the power loss really wasnt that bad

#16 ·
The big question here is, how big do you want to go?

I've got 4.56s in my axles now, running 32s. When I swap in my super lightweight 31s, I'm actually hurting a bit on economy...RPMs too high at highway speeds. 33s are in my future, at least at this moment.

4.10 is a great ratio for 31s and 32s. 4.56 is what you want when you're going 33-35. Particularly with the all-around grunt of the 5.2 and 4.7.

#17 ·
You really shouldn't noticed a big difference with 31's, I hardly noticed my 32's and I think most of my lost fuel economy was due to the worsened aerodynamics...I went from getting 17-18 mix driving to 15-16 granted its a different animal.

Maybe you're due for a tune up...for how much you're going to spend on a re-gear, you're never going to get back in fuel savings.

If you do re-gear 4.10's would be the way to go in your case unless you plan on going to 33" +

#19 ·
You really shouldn't noticed a big difference with 31's, I hardly noticed my 32's and I think most of my lost fuel economy was due to the worsened aerodynamics...I went from getting 17-18 mix driving to 15-16 granted its a different animal.

Maybe you're due for a tune up...for how much you're going to spend on a re-gear, you're never going to get back in fuel savings.

If you do re-gear 4.10's would be the way to go in your case unless you plan on going to 33" +
You mean the $900 I spent on gears and install won't come back in fuel savings Nicky? :crying: :crying:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hell, 15-16MPG would be a godsend on my junk (just ask the wife! :D)

#20 ·
Wish I could find a shop to re-gear for $900 :(

I got just shy of 15 round trip including wheeling on my last trip to rausch creek :rofl: (Jim wishes he had a WJ)

Anyways the OP thinks hes going to get a big fuel savings from the gears, if he does I think hes going to be disappointed.

#21 ·
(Jim wishes he had a WJ)
Nick, you know I have ban powers, right? :rofl:

My regear was wholesale cost on the metal and a full day of wrenching dropping the axles and putting them back in. I intend to never have to do that again :laugh:

#23 ·
Technically Brian, I did the easy part...that was dropping and reinstalling the axles. Somebody else messed with the shims and junk :laugh:

Tell ya what...I'll give you a discount and arrange the whole job for $1799.99 :rofl:

#24 ·
Technically Brian, I did the easy part...that was dropping and reinstalling the axles. Somebody else messed with the shims and junk :laugh:

Tell ya what...I'll give you a discount and arrange the whole job for $1799.99 :rofl:
the same guy that did Jim's gears did my 4.10s

they were already off the Jeep since they were an HP30 and D44a that i was putting in to replace my LP30 and D35

ArloGuthroJeep and the guy who installed our gears helped install my axles.

btw im running 4.10s with 31" tires... when these wear out im planning on getting 32"s

#31 ·
Depends, I was quoted $1200 which included gears at a local shop here. Different areas, different prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.