Whats a good after market radio? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Whats a good after market radio?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 11-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #16
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoltenZJ View Post
I run a Pioneer X6500BT it's awesome. $130 at Best Buy. Definitely worth the money. Check out my build thread for pics if you're interested in it. You would also need a Deck trim kit and wiring harness to get it all to fit and run. Not too much work at all and really straight forward.
This. It's probably my second-favorite single-DIN unit on the market right now. (My first being the X8500BS)

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #17
KoltenZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

This. It's probably my second-favorite single-DIN unit on the market right now. (My first being the X8500BS)
I love the deck it's flawless. Definitely a well worthy buy!
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/koltens-1997-zj-1560500/[/url][/CENTER]
KoltenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #18
Yoda95
1995 ZJ 

I second the Pioneer. Always happy with the sound, and the models with OLED display look great. Changed all my dash lights out with blue LEDs, and the blue Pioneer matches perfectly.
Yoda95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #19
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdecuk View Post
Any of these utilise the steering wheel controls?
You'll need the PAC SWI-(whatever model works with the radio you end up getting). There's another brand out there that supposedly works better than the PAC, but it doesn't work in our Jeeps. It'll work in a WJ though. Anyway, I have a PAC-SWI-JACK for my Alpine 9855. It worked flawlessly for about 2 years and then started acting up. I reset it, reprogrammed it, and it appears I'll be good for another 2 years. It's all in my build thread in my sig if you want to take a look. I even took a pic of the wire you need to use in order to make it work.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #20
MadMaxD

Personally I have a Pioneer X8500BH. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Sirius a compatible one though. Its really good, however if you have an infinity set-up, you have to change speakers and bypass your factory amp. If you were closer I'd give you my factory radio for 20 bucks to get you going again.
MadMaxD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #21
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

You don't have to bypass the factory amp. I'm fairly positive I covered the work-with (not work-around) in my build, again, in my sig. Check it out. I ran my 9855 for a couple months with the stock Infinity Gold system without issue.
Unread 11-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #22
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
You'll need the PAC SWI-(whatever model works with the radio you end up getting). There's another brand out there that supposedly works better than the PAC, but it doesn't work in our Jeeps. It'll work in a WJ though. Anyway, I have a PAC-SWI-JACK for my Alpine 9855. It worked flawlessly for about 2 years and then started acting up. I reset it, reprogrammed it, and it appears I'll be good for another 2 years. It's all in my build thread in my sig if you want to take a look. I even took a pic of the wire you need to use in order to make it work.
sweet

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #23
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
You don't have to bypass the factory amp. I'm fairly positive I covered the work-with (not work-around) in my build, again, in my sig. Check it out. I ran my 9855 for a couple months with the stock Infinity Gold system without issue.
To add to this: you don't HAVE to bypass the amp. However if you intend to do anything crazy with the speakers, or add a substantial subwoofer, you should bypass the amp and use the head unit's amplifier controller with an aftermarket amp for superior results.

Unread 11-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #24
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
To add to this: you don't HAVE to bypass the amp. However if you intend to do anything crazy with the speakers, or add a substantial subwoofer, you should bypass the amp and use the head unit's amplifier controller with an aftermarket amp for superior results.
I don't see how the 20w x channel in the head unit can be better then the Infiniti amp lol. With my head unit when you turn the subwoofer outputs on it changes the settings so that it only sends mid's and high's to the main speakers and then all the bass goes to the sub.

When my speakers are getting the bass I can turn it up to 25 and it starts getting far to distorted but when I have the sub on it and it changes the settings I can go all the way up to 40 with clear sound... It's nearly 100db which is far too much but it's nice to know it is clear sound.
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #25
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

The Infinity amp is better than any internal amp in a head unit. Regardless, of you're just looking for a new head unit and don't plan on upgrading speakers anytime soon, there's no sense on bypassing the factory amp. I'm 90% certain I had to connect the HU's remote turn on to the wiring harness's power antenna lead. Apparently that's the pin Chrysler used for the remote on the amp.
Unread 11-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #26
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

The Infinity amp is better than the internal amp, but I'm unsure if it'll interface with the head unit's amp controller; I'm not aware of when a lot of the standards we use today went into place. Actually my only experience with factory amplifiers is in Nissans ca 1990, which will not interface with an aftermarket head unit's controller, and must be bypassed, because the HU will use its internal amp, and that'll get fed into the factory amp, and your speakers will hate you forever.

Hell, my 240 uses the amp control wire to signal the power antenna. How do you figure that works?

Unread 11-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #27
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
The Infinity amp is better than the internal amp, but I'm unsure if it'll interface with the head unit's amp controller; I'm not aware of when a lot of the standards we use today went into place. Actually my only experience with factory amplifiers is in Nissans ca 1990, which will not interface with an aftermarket head unit's controller, and must be bypassed, because the HU will use its internal amp, and that'll get fed into the factory amp, and your speakers will hate you forever.

Hell, my 240 uses the amp control wire to signal the power antenna. How do you figure that works?
The hell if I know. I buy American cars. I'm telling you it does not have to be bypassed on a ZJ. The amp takes the line level in from the factory unit or your aftermarket unit. The trick is getting it to turn on. It's all in my build thread.
Unread 11-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #28
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

not sure if it's the same for yours but mine, a 95, the power antenna control wire also is the REM line for the Infinity amp. That solved the problem of getting the amp working. I just tied in the REM amp power wire from the HU and spliced that into it. I can't remember the color of the wire offhand, i'd have to pull the HU out of mine. Sound isn't the greatest but that's due to el cheapo walmart speakers. cheap junk was better than blown speakers till I can give a full overhaul. It sound's pretty decent nonetheless. I haven't notice any distortion caused from that set up. As ejschultz stated, you should be perfectly fine using the jeep's amp.
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.