Whats a good after market radio? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Whats a good after market radio?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 11-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
RangeDrive
1998 ZJ 

Whats a good after market radio?

Ok so someone broke into my jeep and stole my radio/ cd player lol..So whats a good replacement radio THAT FITS the slot?...Im not looking to spend a ton of cash but i want it to have a cd player and and somewhere to plug in a mp3

RangeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
Winger67
1996 ZJ 

Not too many (if any) companies make 1.5 DIN radios any more. And then they're usually more expensive for the features you're getting. I went with a higher end Kenwood since I wanted Bluetooth in the Jeep. In my TransAm I went with an Alpine. The Bluetooth and display works better on the Kenwood but overall I like the Alpine better for MP3 operation and build quality. Crutchfield offers free adapters for the radio and wiring harness and their service is great.
Winger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

best bet, get single din and use a faceplate/adapter IMO. there's a lot of really cheap options(under $20) for the faceplates and single din will open up huge amounts of choices.
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

I'm happy with Walmart JVC kd-s79bt. Mp3. Bluetooth phone and audio. Bluetooth adaptor included. USB play too. I think it was 98 dollars

forumrunnerimage.jpg
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

From what I've seen, a lot of the 1.5 din run as much as upper level double din and that runs into a couple hundred starting cost, but I haven't looked much into it as of yet. take that with a grain of salt if you must. Just my limited experience in it. I just went JVC with a double to single din adapter faceplate. didn't match up perfectly for me but it was a $9 adapter so why complain?
Mine looks about the same as misfit77's, but an 8yr old jvc cd player. My kenwood blew something inside, never bothered to spend another $200+ for the radio I want.
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeDrive View Post
Ok so someone broke into my jeep and stole my radio/ cd player lol..So whats a good replacement radio THAT FITS the slot?...Im not looking to spend a ton of cash but i want it to have a cd player and and somewhere to plug in a mp3
Here ya go!

I haven't purchased one but if I need a new stereo This is where I'm going. I'm not an audiophile so I don't need anything super fancy that screams "steal me!".

Price seems good and they have wiring harnesses so it's plug and play.

They have Grand Cherokee specific mounting kits.
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
peyton
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I bought this one a few years ago for my xj and I love it. I plan on getting the same one for my zj. If you order it from this site they give you the install kit, wiring harness, and antenna adapter for free plus they usually beat everyone on prices. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...X-GT660UP.html
Unread 11-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

I've got the older version of this http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ion-CZ702.html Probably the best radio I've had.
Unread 11-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

I say go single din too. There is not much room for the wiring harness and it was tough enough jamming it in behind my single din head unit. I would think that anything larger may not be real fun. As for head units, I am partial to Alpine (have owned about 5 or 6 of them, also have had 3 JVCs, 1 Sony, and a Clarion... The Clarion was a stud, but it was back in 1997 and I paid something stupid like $500 for it). It is hard to go wrong with Crutchfield too, they include installation adapters, wiring harnesses and instructions free of charge.
Unread 11-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
KoltenZJ

1997 ZJ 

I run a Pioneer X6500BT it's awesome. $130 at Best Buy. Definitely worth the money. Check out my build thread for pics if you're interested in it. You would also need a Deck trim kit and wiring harness to get it all to fit and run. Not too much work at all and really straight forward.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/k...97-zj-1560500/
KoltenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

A previous post by me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldGold View Post
I have this head unit installed in my Jeep GC 96 Limited (very similar to the first one listed by you) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I am very pleased with this radio. I think its wonderful. Screen is a little bit bright and I miss having the display dim with the dash lights, but the audio quality through the USB port is so much better than the tape adapter I was using before. Even with the stock front speakers and some cheap Dual's in the back doors.

You need to use a bezel to have it fit in the opening from the old radio (which is 1.5 dins, and most new radios are 1 or 2 dins. Obviously a 2 din won't fit). I used this one so that way I have a little storage slot: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. However, mine isn't centered perfectly in the opening, so it looks a little tacky, and its a different finish, but for like $15 I'm happy enough.

I also bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so I could do the soldering and heat shrink tubing outside the Jeep and not risk getting molten solder on any part of the interior.
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Any of these utilise the steering wheel controls?

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

The one I posted can accept the controls, but you need an adapter. It's on my "to buy" list, but I haven't gotten around to purchasing or installing it, so I can't provide much more insight. I'd wager that most of today's aftermarket radios accept steering wheel controls; I know for a fact Crutchfield lets you filter out radios that don't accept the signals.
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

I bought a $16 install kit (1.5 DIN to 1 DIN adapter with mounting tabs) and put a Pioneer DEH-X65BT into my ZJ. It's a neat little bluetooth-equipped single-DIN unit that cost $120 a year ago. I would do it again.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
SDHarleydad

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit77 View Post
I'm happy with Walmart JVC kd-s79bt. Mp3. Bluetooth phone and audio. Bluetooth adaptor included. USB play too. I think it was 98 dollars

Attachment 821265
What I got ...$100 installed. Sounds good

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.